The Expandable Solar Power System (Plug and Play)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Maitland Gill
    But then how else do we determine the number of Ah that a battery can give out at a desired percentage?
    Forget Amp Hours it is a meaningless number and is only a conversion after all calculations are concluded. It is the end result. Otherwise you end up making huge errors

You work with Watt Hours. A battery system capacity is rated for 5 days or 20% daily discharge with only 50% of the capacity is useable so net result is really 2.5 days usable. So if you use the national average of 30 Kwh per day requires a 150 Kwh battery. Simple as falling off a log and 5th grade math. A good 5 year 150 Kwh battery cost $33,000 today and cost more in 5 years when you replace it. It also weighs in around 900 pounds and requires a very expensive spill containment, EPA permit and yearly inspections. So in the end more like $45,000 to S 50,000. If you had bought the same power form the utility in 5 years only cost you $10,000 to $15,000. Not only will you piss away a ton of money, you have also become a very heavy polluter and wasted a ton of energy and resources. You are so far off, it is really funny. So now you know why we are laughing at you.

Almost forgot, to find battery AMP Hours = Watt Hours / Battery Voltage. Example that 150,000 wh / 48 volt battery = 3125 AH. Simple 5th grade math. It would require at least a 15,000 watt solar panel system to charge them.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Welcome to Australia...

Also, while this is off-topic, I heard the Central Bank in America is going to raise the rates on Monday. So I suggest you buy some Silver before inflation goes up.
      Ummm... looks like your price is about the same as mine, $0.25 / kWh. I think you've made a major mistake in your plan, and hope you haven't bought anything yet.

Find a better deal at EnergyAustralia. Easily compare our electricity and gas plans, rates and benefits to save on your electricity & gas bills. Get an instant quote here!
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Maitland Gill
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
        Forget Amp Hours it is a meaningless number and is only a conversion after all calculations are concluded. It is the end result. Otherwise you end up making huge errors

You work with Watt Hours. A battery system capacity is rated for 5 days or 20% daily discharge with only 50% of the capacity is useable so net result is really 2.5 days usable.
        If Amps is a meaningless number, then why is it shown here as the Capacity? http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/8G4D/
        Don't different Batteries have different capacities? How do we know the length of time that a certain percent of a Batteries capacity will last for?

So if you use the national average of 30 Kwh per day requires a 150 Kwh battery.
        I live in Australia. And these calculations are for running an air-pump 24/7, not to be based on average household usage.

It also weighs in around 900 pounds and requires a very expensive spill containment, EPA permit and yearly inspections.
        The Battery I chose is a Gel-type. Because the system is designed to be slowly built up over time, the Batteries will be discharged and recharged many times, as it automatically switches between Solar and the Grid. This is why the PentaMetric is set to turn on the Relay when the Batteries SOC is at 85%, making the Batteries last longer.

Almost forgot, to find battery AMP Hours = Watt Hours / Battery Voltage. Example that 150,000 wh / 48 volt battery = 3125 AH. Simple 5th grade math. It would require at least a 15,000 watt solar panel system to charge them.
        I already know that, I explained it in the article (Some words have a faint line beneath them, showing that you can hover your cursor over them for a pop-up).

Comment

• solar pete
          Administrator
          • May 2014

If Amps is a meaningless number, then why is it shown here as the Capacity? http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/8G4D/
          Don't different Batteries have different capacities? How do we know the length of time that a certain percent of a Batteries capacity will last for?

I live in Australia. And these calculations are for running an air-pump 24/7, not to be based on average household usage.

The Battery I chose is a Gel-type. Because the system is designed to be slowly built up over time, the Batteries will be discharged and recharged many times, as it automatically switches between Solar and the Grid. This is why the PentaMetric is set to turn on the Relay when the Batteries SOC is at 85%, making the Batteries last longer.

I already know that, I explained it in the article (Some words have a faint line beneath them, showing that you can hover your cursor over them for a pop-up).
          Hello Maitland Gill and welcome to solar panel talk, sounds like you have many flaws in your assumptions and I am not comfortable about that thing being linked to our site so I will consult with the others but may delete the link or the thread, cheers

Comment

• Maitland Gill
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by solar pete
            But if there's so many flaws in my article, why can't people answer my questions?

Comment

• sensij
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2014

But if there's so many flaws in my article, why can't people answer my questions?
              Before trying to answer any of your questions, please answer one for me. In your own words, what is the difference between power and energy? Much of what you've written suggests you don't know, and without that fundamental in place, nothing else matters.

Comment

• Bala
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2010

How long until the system pays for itself?
                If 1 kW per hour costs $5.87 and the 16 Solar panels produce 2.08 kW per day, then $12.20 is removed from the electric bill each day.
                ($5.87 x 2.08 = $12.20)
                How did you work out a grid supplied price of $5.87 per KWH,
                '
                An average price for Australia seems to be about 25c kwh

and as you are still connected to the grid then the supply charge makes no difference.

Comment

• Maitland Gill
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sensij
                  In your own words, what is the difference between power and energy?
                  I think Power is a term that refers to wattage, while Energy is a much broader term that describes the measurements such as Ampere (Or, Coulomb), Volts (E-field), Watts, Newtons, Ohms, Joules, and how they relate to a given length and time.

Comment

• Maitland Gill
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Bala
                    How did you work out a grid supplied price of $5.87 per KWH,
                    '
                    An average price for Australia seems to be about 25c kwh

and as you are still connected to the grid then the supply charge makes no difference.
                    The strange thing about it, is that our Electricity bills don't show the number of Kw/h. Instead, it's shown as a number of 'Units'.
                    I had to figure out how many Watt-hours each Unit represents, but I must of screwed up somewhere. How did you know?

Comment

• Bala
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Dec 2010

The strange thing about it, is that our Electricity bills don't show the number of Kw/h. Instead, it's shown as a number of 'Units'.
                      I had to figure out how many Watt-hours each Unit represents, but I must of screwed up somewhere. How did you know?
                      The bill at my parents house in Victoria showed the rate, and I know my inlaws in Brisbane pay about the same. Plues just google it.

Like I googled Power V Energy and found this,

The difference between kW and kWh, power and energy, which to use when, and how to convert between them.

Which may be?? what sensji is getting at?

Comment

• Bala
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2010

I think you will find 1 unit is 1kwh,

but there are different tarrifs, so you get charged a different rate depending on when you use the power.

You should be able to google a guide to understanding your bill for your provider.

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bala
                          The bill at my parents house in Victoria showed the rate, and I know my inlaws in Brisbane pay about the same. Plues just google it.

Like I googled Power V Energy and found this,

The difference between kW and kWh, power and energy, which to use when, and how to convert between them.

Which may be?? what sensji is getting at?
                          That is a nice write-up. It could be extended by breaking electrical energy and power up into their constituent parts:

Power (W) = potential * current = Volts (V) * Amps (A)
                          Energy (Wh) = integral of power over time = [(average potential * average current) * time] = [(Volts (V) * Amps (A)) * Hours (hr)]

Ah just combines the Amps * Hours portion of the energy equation into a single number, but without voltage (or unless you assume fixed voltage), comparing Ah numbers doesn't get you too far. It works for comparing batteries (when the voltage is fixed), but for system design when voltage is not the same in different circuits, it is better to stay in units of energy (Wh) as much as possible. For example, when using MPPT, solar array voltage is not equal to battery voltage, neither of which equals inverter output voltage. Comparing Ah directly across those different circuits is not meaningful.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

We have, you just do not understand.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

I seriously doubt that, because if you knew it, then you would know not to use Amp Hours.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

I think Power is a term that refers to wattage, while Energy is a much broader term that describes the measurements such as Ampere (Or, Coulomb), Volts (E-field), Watts, Newtons, Ohms, Joules, and how they relate to a given length and time.

http://theinvertedtower.deviantart.c...itle-458965257
                                Wrong. You are speaking Jibber Jabber and no clue what either means. That is why everything you have done so far is complete nonsense.

When working with Electricity:
                                • Power is the rate in which electrical energy is transferred into a circuit and measured in Watts or one joule per second. In other terms the rate at which work is being done. A 100 watt light bulb uses 100 joules per second.
                                • Energy is the amount of work done over a specific period of time. Electric energy is measured in Watt Hours = Watts x Hours. A 100 watt light bulb turned on for 10 hours uses 100 watts x 10 hours = 1000 watt hours or 1 Kwh. Simple 5th grade math.

So now answer this. How many watts and watt hours is in a 100 AH battery?

Answer: There is no answer, it is jibber jabber, meaningless nonsense. Now if you knew it was a 10 volt 100 AH battery you can answer the Watt Hours part of the question, but not watts. A 10 volt 100 AH battery has a energy capacity of 10 volts x 100 AH = 1000 wh or 1Kwh. Watts is unknown because you have to define the time period the enery was consumed. Watts can be can be any number greater than ZERO.

From this point I can no longer help you as you do not even understand the basics. You need to stop what you are doing and hire someone to do the work. You are not capable and if you continue will learn a very hard nasty expensive lesson and wished you would have listened. So you can listen, or do it the hard way by loosing thousands of dollars. No better teacher than failure and loosing a lot of money.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...