Solaredge HD-wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solaredge HD-wave

Is this the future? They say it available in December of this year.

http://www.energymatters.com.au/rene...d-wave-em5062/

Originally posted by eah123 View Post

At first glance and listening to the description, it does not appear that the marvelous HD advanced technology is anything more than use of pulse width modulation an a high switching frequency to avoid the need for a large amount of iron and copper in either inductors or transformers.

The on/off switching may be using better semiconductor technology than the older MOSFET designs, allowing lower switching losses and therefore higher efficiency.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by eah123 View Post

I don't see anything revolutionary in the operational description. Sure it can be made smaller
      by raising the switching frequency. But the catch to that, is usually lower efficiency. These
      guys claim over 99% efficiency; if they really can do that, I want to know how. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
        I don't see anything revolutionary in the operational description. Sure it can be made smaller
        by raising the switching frequency. But the catch to that, is usually lower efficiency. These
        guys claim over 99% efficiency; if they really can do that, I want to know how. Bruce Roe
        well don't expect them to tell you. Everything in solar seems to be very confidential.

Comment

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post
          well don't expect them to tell you. Everything in solar seems to be very confidential.
          If its really that good, their competition will reverse engineer it. I'll be watching; have done such
          things myself. I was already pretty impressed with most aspects of current inverters. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
            ...it does not appear that the marvelous HD advanced technology is anything more than use of pulse width modulation an a high switching frequency...
            It's a bit more than that. They are using multi-level modulation: in simple terms, they are varying both the height (voltage) and the width (duration) of the pulses. That has been done before on higher power inverters but not I believe on residential units.

Comment

It'll be interesting to get the details on this. As usual, the website video is pure marketing fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeOrMoney View Post
                It'll be interesting to get the details on this. As usual, the website video is pure marketing fluff.
                When I first saw the company promo vid a couple months ago I was thinking I wished I had it, faster, better, sleeker, etc and I'm ready to trade in my 5 month old SE5000. Not really, but its interesting how the promo compares it to their own, current SExxxx model as if it will be obsolete. For anyone considering it, I'd think there's an element of risk similar to what the Enphase M190's are going through especially since I'm sure Enphase did extensive testing on their first version. Comparing to this "HD" version not for the same reasons, but at least the SExxxx series have been out a few short years. I mean it's still electrons in and out, right, difference is just size and maybe 1% improvement? All said, I think I'd wait a couple years into production and see if they come out with a convertible version, with leather interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Willaby View Post
                  When I first saw the company promo vid a couple months ago I was thinking I wished I had it, faster, better, sleeker, etc and I'm ready to trade in my 5 month old SE5000. Not really, but its interesting how the promo compares it to their own, current SExxxx model as if it will be obsolete. For anyone considering it, I'd think there's an element of risk similar to what the Enphase M190's are going through especially since I'm sure Enphase did extensive testing on their first version. Comparing to this "HD" version not for the same reasons, but at least the SExxxx series have been out a few short years. I mean it's still electrons in and out, right, difference is just size and maybe 1% improvement? All said, I think I'd wait a couple years into production and see if they come out with a convertible version, with leather interior.
                  I pretty much agree with this. From what I understand, the HD-Wave version is trading out more tested / established inverter circuitry for an architecture that has more points of failure using components that may be more prone to failure. From my perspective, lots of risk for not much gain.
                  CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

The thing SolarEdge could get out of this is lower cost due to the smaller overall size (less metal, plastic). In terms of whether it'll be more or less reliable, it depends upon the design. I led product design (and production) teams for 25 years, so know that some organizations put timeliness ahead of quality. That always costs a company more in the long run. The place I worked longest for had a mantra: safety, quality, timeliness, cost (in that order) and we engineers were evaluated to that. Point is, we don't know the SolarEdge internal processes, so it's hard to know whether the "HD wave" will be more or less reliable. At least the financials of the company look good enough that they may be around long enough to make good on their warranty.

Comment

this is a great topic and I wanted to revive it

anyupdate on the HDwave model

Comment

Originally posted by doctorman View Post
                        this is a great topic and I wanted to revive it

anyupdate on the HDwave model

the 3000 and 3800 were shipping early January. We have switched our smaller systems to the HDWave inverters.

The 5000, 6000, and 7600 versions are supposed to ship by the end of the quarter
                        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

the 3000 and 3800 were shipping early January. We have switched our smaller systems to the HDWave inverters.

The 5000, 6000, and 7600 versions are supposed to ship by the end of the quarter
                          That is good to hear. Glad they are moving forward with those options.

Comment

will the bigger units like the 7Kw have the power outlet option as advertised?

SELF-SUSTAINING POWER OUTLET (OPTIONAL)
                            Nominal Output Voltage 120 V
                            Maximum Output Power 1500(2) W
                            External Outlet with GFDI YES

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

That is good to hear. Glad they are moving forward with those options.
                              yeah the efficiency is nice but they are smaller lighter so easier to install and fit into places.
                              The also meet rapid shutdown for 2017 code. (automatic shutdown)
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGLlPFpTSU

The energy coming out should be a smoother curve as well.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
                              X