• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

Storage trial in Nice

-- snip --
    From the Nice pilot, ERDF has learned that battery storage in Europe costs 500 to 1,000 euros per kilowatt/hour (KWh), with an extra 30 percent for installation and the inverters that turn direct current solar power into the alternate current used on the grid, an ERDF official said.

At that level, battery storage would already be economically viable in certain parts of Germany and Denmark, where renewable energy use is most advanced and where retail power rates, at around 30 eurocents per kilowatt/hour (KWh), are among the highest in Europe, according to Eurostat data.

But that is not the case for France, where residential power rates are around 17 cents per KWh, and most of Europe, where power averages about 21 cents.

"Economical feasibility is usually not a given in most of mainland Europe's grids," acknowledged Michael Lippert, head of Saft's new energy storage unit.

Some analysts expect the tipping point for batteries in Europe could come around 2020. The ERDF official said it is hard to forecast by how much more the cost of batteries would have to fall to become viable for grid storage. "That is one thing we will have to evaluate at the end of the Nice pilot," he said.
    -- snip --
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...50706?irpc=932

-- snip --
    From the Nice pilot, ERDF has learned that battery storage in Europe costs 500 to 1,000 euros per kilowatt/hour (KWh), with an extra 30 percent for installation and the inverters that turn direct current solar power into the alternate current used on the grid, an ERDF official said.

At that level, battery storage would already be economically viable in certain parts of Germany and Denmark, where renewable energy use is most advanced and where retail power rates, at around 30 eurocents per kilowatt/hour (KWh), are among the highest in Europe, according to Eurostat data.

But that is not the case for France, where residential power rates are around 17 cents per KWh, and most of Europe, where power averages about 21 cents.

"Economical feasibility is usually not a given in most of mainland Europe's grids," acknowledged Michael Lippert, head of Saft's new energy storage unit.

Some analysts expect the tipping point for batteries in Europe could come around 2020. The ERDF official said it is hard to forecast by how much more the cost of batteries would have to fall to become viable for grid storage. "That is one thing we will have to evaluate at the end of the Nice pilot," he said.
    -- snip --
    There is no question that energy storage may becomes economical to use in areas that have very high electrical tariffs like Germany and CA.

My dilemma is why should I go to RE which will raise my electric costs (like they did in Germany) so that batteries (which were cost prohibited) now become justifiable.

That to me would be similar to the need to purchase a BMW to drive to town for groceries because the cheaper costing cars are no longer available. How is that a motivation? Shouldn't I be looking for a lower cost solution to drive around town or to generate electricity?

Comment

• DanKegel
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
      why should I go to RE which will raise my electric costs
      Two answers:
      1) you shouldn't
      2) costs may be obvious (EG your electric bill) or hidden (EG cost to society and your children of climate change and ocean acidification). If you factor in hidden costs, it changes the equation.
      Last edited by inetdog; 07-09-2015, 03:05 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel
        Two answers:
        1) you shouldn't
        2) costs may be obvious (EG your electric bill) or hidden (EG cost to society and your children of climate change and ocean acidification). If you factor in hidden costs, it changes the equation.
        I understand. Each person will have their own motivation and personal finances may not be at the top of the list for some.

On a side note I just read an article from energybiz about the inventor of the game Tetris (Henk Rogers) installing a large battery system in his home in Hawaii and going off grid with it.

It is called Blue Ion and is using the Sony lithium ion phosphate chemistry. Sounded pretty cool but no pricing yet.

Here is the article.

Comment

Working...