Hawaii approves outback battery-backed inverters?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

Hawaii approves outback battery-backed inverters?

It's just a press release, but...

"June 02, 2015 08:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time
    ARLINGTON, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--OutBack Power Technologies, Inc., a designer and manufacturer of advanced power electronics for renewable energy, today announced Hawaiian Electric Companies (HECO) has approved OutBack Power’s Radian, FX and FXR multi-mode inverter/chargers for Transient Overvoltage self-certification (TrOV-2). OutBack’s products are the first battery-backed inverters to qualify for HECO’s stringent “ultra-fast trip” requirements, overcoming the utility’s perception of grid instability..."

Wait, what? They weren't already approved? Sheesh.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I thought that news article said HECO already approved the Outback TrOV-2 system so I am not sure what you meant by "Wait, what? They weren't already approved? Sheesh."

If HECO says they are ok I would presume other POCO's would not have any issues. But maybe I am being naive.

Comment

• DanKegel
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

I'm just asking, it's 2015, why aren't battery-backed inverters old hat by now? We've had UPS's for computers for ages, and Hawaii is only just now getting them for houses?

Naive consumers like me just take it for granted that technology is further along than it seems to be.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel
        I'm just asking, it's 2015, why aren't battery-backed inverters old hat by now? We've had UPS's for computers for ages, and Hawaii is only just now getting them for houses?

Naive consumers like me just take it for granted that technology is further along than it seems to be.
        I think it has to do with the latest TrOV-2 software. It looks like the inverters can work faster rectify or disconnect from the grid with respect to transients and over voltage issues. That is one of the main issues the POCO's have when the % of RE connected systems get too big. Too many systems not synchronized with the grid will cause some serious ripple affects up and down the line.

It's like the tail wagging the dog. Not a good thing to have.

Comment

• Ted
          • Dec 2015

You can connect to the grid with these systems for backup, but HECO won't let you sell electricity back to the grid with them yet.
          About that, the article says "in the future..." We'll see how long it takes for HECO to get their act together for full grid interactive functionality.

Comment

Working...