X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donald
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
    How is that possible to do in a Off-Grid battery system? Only in a Green Fantasy Dream can that be done, but not in the real world.
    I'm starting to be concerned you have had a stroke. Let's look at the number again: $3000, 7kwh, 10-20 year life.

My grandfather argued for many years with my great grandfather about replacing plow horses with a tractor on the farm. Both were very smart men. In the early years, my ggrandfather's arguments in favor of plow horses were probably valid.

By the end of this decade, people living off grid will be buying battery subsystems, not FLA batteries. You have expertise in FLA batteries exactly because they suck. What people want in their off grid homes are batteries that work, not a science project.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by donald
      Something like the Tesla system is what you will joyfully replace your FLA batteries with in 3-5 years.

FLA is like Comcast. Both suck and everyone wants an alternative. But they are often the best choice for now. The Trojans Sunking is carrying on about look good, as long as you are not a complete dork with maintaining the system.
      A know it all that knows nothing from fruitcake California -
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

I'm starting to be concerned you have had a stroke. Let's look at the number again: $3000, 7kwh, 10-20 year life.

My grandfather argued for many years with my great grandfather about replacing plow horses with a tractor on the farm. Both were very smart men. In the early years, my ggrandfather's arguments in favor of plow horses were probably valid.

By the end of this decade, people living off grid will be buying battery subsystems, not FLA batteries. You have expertise in FLA batteries exactly because they suck. What people want in their off grid homes are batteries that work, not a science project.
        Donald - Wise up or you are history. Your BS is getting tiresome.

You don't know squat but your run your mouth fast.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Back in the 80's when there was an oil embargo everyone and his brother started to provide some form of energy saving device. There were these "black boxes" where they claimed would save on electrical usage and scrap wood burning furnaces to save on the cost of expensive fuel. Most of those were fakes or less efficient and more costly.

Later on there were software companies that had a "new program" to streamline your production or financial business systems. That is where the term "vaporware" came from because most of those people had no real software to provide.

While Musk and Tesla may have something new, people that have been through eras of "technology" releases may not have the same enthusiasm as those who have not experienced all that fraud.

I would rather have a "wait and see" attitude before I blindly opened my wallet to buy something exciting and new that is more promise then reality.

Comment

• donald
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
            I would rather have a "wait and see" attitude before I blindly opened my wallet to buy something exciting and new that is more promise then reality.
            I haven't suggested anyone "open their wallet". If I had to pick an off grid system today it would be FLA based. But it's also clear to me that we are at the end of FLA technology for ubiquitous use in renewable applications. What's exciting currently is that there are finally credible products from significant companies. The path with no real changes has been remarkably long.

No need to pick a winner, the market will sort it out.

Comment

• donald
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by russ
              A know it all that knows nothing from fruitcake California -
              I enjoy visiting California, but I have never lived there.

Comment

• Stuntman
                • Apr 2015

Why argue....

Regarding this current line of discussion...

I wonder why there is always so much hostility out there.. in here.. wherever.. Apple vs. Microsoft.. Democrat vs. Republic.. us vs. them.. me vs. you... I'd love just open discussion.. I live in California.. have lived nearly my whole life here.. for the most part it has been pretty great.. but I've also lived in Ireland, Taiwan, Japan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Illinois.. all those places were pretty special too.. Not going to hate on anybody that is from there, lives there or would like to move to those places..

Likewise.. A battery system.. pretty cool to look at, has some neat functionality.. do I want it, do you? Should I get it, or should you? Should you getting it be an issue for me, or vice versa? I'd like to think not..

Here in Sunny California our power utility is telling us how excited they are about Solar and alternative ways to allow less dependance on the grid.. but the fact that more and more of us are actually doing it is causing them and the agencies that use that income to fund themselves considerable stress.. My current solar system generates almost as much as I use in a given year.. this has been acceptable and a benefit to me.. but now I hear grumblings from Edison that enough of us are now staying out of the expensive tiers that they may need to increase the cost of Tier 1 by 45%! I live in an all electric home.. no gas for anything... without the solar panels, I was shooting through tier one in a couple/few days just existing in the house with my family.. Now would a battery or set of batteries possibly allow me to fill in that gap in my generation vs. usage? Maybe.. but if the rates for that small amount I use from Edison keeps going up, as I'm sure it will as more of us use less of it.. then the idea of it as a product and as something I'll be looking into becomes very real. Will I buy this Tesla product? I don't know.. but it seems as if more than one company is seeing things change and looking to find a way to both modernize and improve as well as market and educate.. are they doing it to make themselves rich or richer, probably, but I still believe there is some altruism out there too, and this idea of becoming less dependent on fossil fuels seems like a good one.. climate change or not...

I don't know if I'll get this thing, or if I'll need it.. or even want it.. maybe version 2.0, or a competitors product... but I sure love reading about it and learning about what is out there.. what options we have.. good, bad or otherwise....

Comment

• Amy@altE
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Stuntman

I don't know if I'll get this thing, or if I'll need it.. or even want it.. maybe version 2.0, or a competitors product... but I sure love reading about it and learning about what is out there.. what options we have.. good, bad or otherwise....
                  Solar Queen
                  altE Store

Comment

• Ian S
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2011

Me too!

Comment

• Amy@altE
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2014

Stuntman's been around a couple of weeks, I was following a SHW thread of his.
                      Solar Queen
                      altE Store

Comment

• DanKegel
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Stuntman
                        Regarding this current line of discussion...

I wonder why there is always so much hostility
                        It's part of the general polarization of the country, I'm afraid.

It's even a field of study, see e.g. http://nicd.arizona.edu

I think you just have to accept it, and filter it out when you run into it.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel
                          It's part of the general polarization of the country, I'm afraid.

It's even a field of study, see e.g. http://nicd.arizona.edu

I think you just have to accept it, and filter it out when you run into it.
                          And I thought it had to do with global Temperatures rising.

Comment

• kwilcox
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2014

A friend of mine who got his degree in electrical engineering back in the 70s explained all of this to me today. He wanted to work in commercial generation instead of electronical engineering which is where his peers majored. However, when he graduated, he couldn't find a job so went into IT instead. Later, there were openings in the field but he had missed the boat. Based on this, his explanation of the industry take on new technology makes perfect sense. This kind of technology won't take off with big energy until the next generation inherits the industry. Nukes are the "new tech" of the current engineers in charge. My friend is in his 60s today.
                            4KW system featuring Suniva OPT265/Enphase M215

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kwilcox
                              A friend of mine who got his degree in electrical engineering back in the 70s explained all of this to me today. He wanted to work in commercial generation instead of electronical engineering which is where his peers majored. However, when he graduated, he couldn't find a job so went into IT instead. Later, there were openings in the field but he had missed the boat. Based on this, his explanation of the industry take on new technology makes perfect sense. This kind of technology won't take off with big energy until the next generation inherits the industry. Nukes are the "new tech" of the current engineers in charge. My friend is in his 60s today.
                              I can really relate to that friend of yours. I graduated in 1976 with a BSEE in solid state electronics. While at college I even worked in a research center on Cadmium Sulfide Solar Cells. But like the power industry the Solid State field had no jobs so I went into power and control design.

Surprisingly while solar was not going anywhere 40 years ago it seems to have risen to a new level and I am glad it finally has.

As for energy "storage" technology, it won't improve until there is a real need. Maybe the time has come for that need but I am still wary of false promises.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

That is where you post from it seems
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...