Is there a solar powered door mat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a solar powered door mat?

Can anyone tell me if someone makes a solar-powered door mat? I know they make electrical and battery-powered ones but I can't find a solar-powered one. I sure could use one here in the Northeast in Pennsylvania. It would save on the ice build up in front of my door from the dripping spouting.

Originally posted by greggor36 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if someone makes a solar-powered door mat? I know they make electrical and battery-powered ones but I can't find a solar-powered one. I sure could use one here in the Northeast in Pennsylvania. It would save on the ice build up in front of my door from the dripping spouting.
    Using solar energy to produce electricity to drive resistance heating is about as inefficient as you can get, so I doubt that anyone does it.
    If you use a very black doormat, it will soak up a lot more heat from the sun than you would get as electricity from solar PV panel the same size.
    So I would not expect anyone to be selling them, and if I found one for sale I would not buy it.

The best type of solar powered door mat will be along the same design path as the solar powered clothes dryer. (A rope and some poles.)
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the follow up to my question. I understand what you're saying. I didn't really think it through before asking but that's why you're the expert! I liked the solar-powered clothes dryer reference! Funny! Thanks again!

Comment

Hi there, solar powered door mats sounds very new to me. I have never heard of them ever. Well, I have waterhog entrance floor mats in front of my house which helps to prevent moisture and dirt.

---Mod Note: Link to product removed. Advertising must be arranged through user Solar Pete.
        Please do not do that again.
        Last edited by inetdog; 10-16-2015, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I haven't seen one. It also impossible for now not sure, I maybe wrong. But so far, it's sounds new but who knows it might be existing and some of us don't know yet.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post

Using solar energy to produce electricity to drive resistance heating is about as inefficient as you can get, so I doubt that anyone does it.
            If you use a very black doormat, it will soak up a lot more heat from the sun than you would get as electricity from solar PV panel the same size.
            So I would not expect anyone to be selling them, and if I found one for sale I would not buy it.

The best type of solar powered door mat will be along the same design path as the solar powered clothes dryer. (A rope and some poles.)
            The black solar thermal doormat is much more efficient and appropriate technology. I would suggest keeping in mind that snow melt, if not given a drainage path, might tend to puddle up and freeze after dark, perhaps creating a hazard on walkways and at building entrances.

Comment

Working...
            X