X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kosala@
    • Jan 2015

Inverter that can handle UPS and offgrid functions

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a mechanism (a inverter), where I can run primarily from the solar panels, and fill the power deficit using the power grid. I'm looking this for a SOHO setup, where I need to run my office room with Solar power, but should utilize the power grid when the capacity is not enough or solar energy production is low (rainy days for example).

What is the best mechanism to achieve this?

Cheers,
    Kosala
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by kosala@kosala.net
    Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a mechanism (a inverter), where I can run primarily from the solar panels, and fill the power deficit using the power grid. I'm looking this for a SOHO setup, where I need to run my office room with Solar power, but should utilize the power grid when the capacity is not enough or solar energy production is low (rainy days for example).

Cheers,
    Kosala
    How much power do you need? How much are you willing to spend? Where are you located? It sounds like some kind of grid-tied system might work for you, but more information is needed to be sure.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• kosala@
      • Jan 2015

I don't require a lot. Something under 1500Wshould be fine. I'm in Sri Lanka, anything which can be sourced from China should be fine . Typical grid tie systems might not work for me. I need to use a battey pack since I need to use the inverter as a UPS (local power supply is bit shaky...ok may be lot more shakier than most of the countries).

Any thoughts?

Comment

• foo1bar
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

I don't require a lot. Something under 1500Wshould be fine. I'm in Sri Lanka, anything which can be sourced from China should be fine . Typical grid tie systems might not work for me. I need to use a battey pack since I need to use the inverter as a UPS (local power supply is bit shaky...ok may be lot more shakier than most of the countries).

Any thoughts?
        How much of a UPS?
        How long should it carry your load?
        How big of a load?
        Are you better off with an actual UPS?

Comment

• Raj
          • Nov 2014

Hi,

Cheers,
          Kosala
          Hi Kosala,

A company in Taiwan named MPP Solar makes a hybrid grid tied inverter/charger with built-in charge controller. They come in a variety of sizes and are reasonably priced. 300 to 500 US dollar range. Here's the link for info.
          <link removed>

There are MPP Solar product evaluation videos on Youtube. Search word "MPP solar inverter". I have seen a few of these videos and it looks like this might meet your needs.

Be sure of how much wattage you need, as a 2400 watt inverter might be a better choice than a 1600 watt at only a few dollars more.

Hope this helps,

Raj

---Mod Note: Most if not all of the units at the link Raj supplies are at best CE rated and do not have the UL listing required for legal use in the US. There is also good reason to question the quality and durability of these units. In any case, direct sales page links from new posters are not allowed. Stick around though. YouTube endorsements are often not worth the paper they are not printed on.
          Last edited by inetdog; 01-02-2015, 04:22 AM.
          3.6 kw PV, Classic 150, Radian GS4048A, LFP 195A

Comment

• herrydas
            • Jul 2015

Now the inverter or ups made company remember this point of off grid to handle instant power failure with having any tripping or doubling in electricity. You can get ups and batteries according to your office power load.

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Originally posted by herrydas
              Now the inverter or ups made company remember this point of off grid to handle instant power failure with having any tripping or doubling in electricity. You can get ups and batteries according to your office power load.
              I really cannot figure out what you meant to say, but what you said does not make any sense.
              A UPS (other than dual conversion) is not really suitable for off-grid use for any length of time. The internal batteries will not be good for frequent cycle use and also will not recharge at a high enough rate to accommodate solar PV charging.
              Nor can it usually be set up to prefer battery power over grid power when both are available.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by herrydas Banned Spammer
                Was banned for spam
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...