Liquid Metal batteries? More voodoo? or perhaps part of a bigger picture...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by kwilcox
    I wouldn't say that Tesla "knows nothing about" energy storage Russ.
    Kevin - If you equate residential energy storage and that for automotive use then fine - but they are two different ball games.

Musk - isn't he the one carrying on about AI and demons at present - yep I checked - sure enough it is him. Maybe he is going a bit wacko?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• PNjunction
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by russ
      Kevin - If you equate residential energy storage and that for automotive use then fine - but they are two different ball games.
      Right on Russ. Not keeping these two applications (residential solar and EV) separate means you'll be paying through the nose for "high rate" cells which can accept a huge amount of EV charge / discharge like 10-15C, which is not normally needed in a solar backup / off grid consumer application. You'll never make use of it just keeping your fridge, lights, etc going - UNLESS you purposely use a very small battery with very limited runtime.

Kevin - Instead of wishing and waiting, nothing is stopping anyone from using LiFePo4 batteries made out of large prismatic cells from the likes of GBS, CALB, Winston. These are not as high-rate as the EV cells, typically accepting up to 3-5C current, with .5 - 1C the normal recommendation and there is NO WAY you'll ever be taxing that capability either.

All the investor bait batteries are a total laugh, because you can't get a hold of them, are available "any day now" vaporware, shoehorning cells that are inappropiate for the application at hand etc. A common Joe like myself can get my hands on 2000ah large prismatic Lifepo4 cells tomorrow with a few clicks. Instead of waiting for investment, lifepo4 has been around long enough to start to become a commodity product that is no longer a hassle to get.

I like what Tesla is doing, and I'm sure the battery is high quality - however you can make a costly mistake by not keeping EV and storage applications separate - each with their own differing needs.

Comment

• kwilcox
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

To the original topic: More detail on Enphase from my original post (see related thread in Solar Trends). Their solution is engage cable based and stackable. I'd need 4 to meet my daily overproduction requirements.
        4KW system featuring Suniva OPT265/Enphase M215

Comment

Working...