Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sarahjackson
    • Mar 2014

Strange Question?

My name is Sarah and I'm an aspiring software entrepreneur living in Portland, OR.

I'm doing some research on the PV Installer industry to see if I can find some of the consistent challenges it is facing.

Then my hopes would be to solve them...with software.

Can folks tell me one frustration they deal with on a daily basis? Even one sentence is fine!

Look forward to hearing what people have to say.
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Hi Sarah - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

I used to live in your rainy city - grew up in Madras on the east side of the Cascades and then worked in Portland - left there in about '78.

Let us see what kind of comments you can get.

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• sarahjackson
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by russ
      Hi Sarah - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

I used to live in your rainy city - grew up in Madras on the east side of the Cascades and then worked in Portland - left there in about '78.

Let us see what kind of comments you can get.

Russ
      Hi Russ, nice to meet you!

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Well there is two things yu cannot solve. Weather and free money off the backs of taxpayers. Subsidies, Net Metering, and incentives are going away thank God.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• sarahjackson
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
          Well there is two things yu cannot solve. Weather and free money off the backs of taxpayers. Subsidies, Net Metering, and incentives are going away thank God.
          Sunking-

Do you currently use any software? Doesn't necessarily have to be modeling or CAD software....but timekeeping, scheduling, billing...etc.

In regards to the modeling software, I know a lot of installers use EagleView or SketchUp. Are folks relatively happy with those solutions? Did I miss anything under the modeling category?

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by sarahjackson
            sunking-

do you currently use any software? Doesn't necessarily have to be modeling or cad software....but timekeeping, scheduling, billing...etc.

In regards to the modeling software, i know a lot of installers use eagleview or sketchup. Are folks relatively happy with those solutions? Did i miss anything under the modeling category?
            nfpa-1-2012
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• sarahjackson
              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Naptown
              nfpa-1-2012
              I'm not sure I follow....are you looking for software related to fire codes? I'm confused.

Comment

• Naptown
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2011

I'm not sure I follow....are you looking for software related to fire codes? I'm confused.
                No it just frustrates me.
                NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• sarahjackson
                  • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Naptown
                  No it just frustrates me.

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Improved design simulation tool

My name is Sarah and I'm an aspiring software entrepreneur living in Portland, OR.
                    I'm doing some research on the PV Installer industry to see if I can find some of the consistent challenges it is facing.
                    Then my hopes would be to solve them...with software.
                    Can folks tell me one frustration they deal with on a daily basis? Even one sentence is fine!
                    Look forward to hearing what people have to say.
                    Sarah, you might want to try and improve the tools for simulating the instantaneous and
                    cumulative energy harvest for a group panels with assorted alignments & sizes. Some tools
                    currently available don't go far enough to easily aid in optimizing an array.

The sun energy hitting a panel is a function of the angle of incidence (perpendicular
                    being the highest), and the intensity of the sun at different elevations above the
                    horizon. The angle of incidence is a function of panel orientation, and motion of
                    the sun during the day, which in turn will change during the seasons.

I would like to input my location, panel size & efficiency, panel orientation, and date,
                    and get an instantaneous output in watts or KW, for any time of day. This is assuming
                    no clouds or shade. Also a GRAPH of the output level for that day would be useful, that
                    is what i am going to make from hourly numbers anyway. Integrating the area under
                    the curve to get total energy collected (KW hours) that day would be good.

THEN, i would like to run the same info for another group of panels, of different
                    orientation and size. This would give me another curve.

THEN I would like to take multiple curves, and add them up (hour by hour) into
                    a sum per hour, and a total curve for that combination & date. I would be likely
                    to want to get the same output info for the same components, on other dates.

As you know, the output of a single panel tends to rise to a maximum peak as
                    the sunlight angle of incidence approaches perpendicular, then drop off. The
                    time of the peak varies primarily with the orientation, and also with varying sun
                    intensity. My objective is to use multiple orientations (and sizes) to produce a
                    sum curve which is much broader over the day, closer to flat on top.

Experiments are going on, but not to this level of detail, to my knowledge.

Bruce Roe

Comment

• sarahjackson
                      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
                      Sarah, you might want to try and improve the tools for simulating the instantaneous and
                      cumulative energy harvest for a group panels with assorted alignments & sizes. Some tools
                      currently available don't go far enough to easily aid in optimizing an array.

The sun energy hitting a panel is a function of the angle of incidence (perpendicular
                      being the highest), and the intensity of the sun at different elevations above the
                      horizon. The angle of incidence is a function of panel orientation, and motion of
                      the sun during the day, which in turn will change during the seasons.

I would like to input my location, panel size & efficiency, panel orientation, and date,
                      and get an instantaneous output in watts or KW, for any time of day. This is assuming
                      no clouds or shade. Also a GRAPH of the output level for that day would be useful, that
                      is what i am going to make from hourly numbers anyway. Integrating the area under
                      the curve to get total energy collected (KW hours) that day would be good.

THEN, i would like to run the same info for another group of panels, of different
                      orientation and size. This would give me another curve.

THEN I would like to take multiple curves, and add them up (hour by hour) into
                      a sum per hour, and a total curve for that combination & date. I would be likely
                      to want to get the same output info for the same components, on other dates.

As you know, the output of a single panel tends to rise to a maximum peak as
                      the sunlight angle of incidence approaches perpendicular, then drop off. The
                      time of the peak varies primarily with the orientation, and also with varying sun
                      intensity. My objective is to use multiple orientations (and sizes) to produce a
                      sum curve which is much broader over the day, closer to flat on top.

Experiments are going on, but not to this level of detail, to my knowledge.

Bruce Roe
                      Thank you Bruce.

Is this something that you would potentially use when giving a customer a quote?

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Peak sun predictor

Thank you Bruce. Is this something that you would potentially
                        use when giving a customer a quote?
                        Sarah, I have my own panels facing 3 directions. The directions & sizes are a haphazard
                        guess, although they are doing well. I would rather use sun simulations to do a more precise
                        and predictable design.

I have no customers, but others do. Panels get put at varied positions depending on what
                        is available (roofs, etc). It would be good, if the peak performance of such an arrangement
                        could be easily predicted, and perhaps optimized more. However, I don't know how others
                        feel about this. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
                          Sarah, I have my own panels facing 3 directions. The directions & sizes are a haphazard
                          guess, although they are doing well. I would rather use sun simulations to do a more precise
                          and predictable design.

I have no customers, but others do. Panels get put at varied positions depending on what
                          is available (roofs, etc). It would be good, if the peak performance of such an arrangement
                          could be easily predicted, and perhaps optimized more. However, I don't know how others
                          feel about this. Bruce Roe
                          The type of information Bruce is referring to is readily available and almost ubiquitous in the solar energy community. It's there for the taking, or more often, buying. Check the NREL website for starters. Also, some time spent with a solar textbook will pay big dividends. Knowledge gained there will allow you to write your own software, save $$'s and allow you to estimate just about anything you can think of. Honest. Many individuals and organizations have done it. There's no trick to it. Resource assessment, as it is sometimes called, is a very well developed area in the solar energy field. The Solar Energy Society once had an entire division dedicated to it. Perhaps they still do.

Comment

• Shockah
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2013

Hey Sarah,

I'd be the first to purchase a data-logger that can be installed in a low-voltage low-wattage outdoor-enclosure.

As for example, a 20w Panel / 18AH Battery / 3w LED Dusk-to-Dawn Lamp...
                            Life would be great if you were to develop a 24/7 data-logger for the charge/discharge cycles...

Thank you.
                            [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                              The type of information Bruce is referring to is readily available and almost ubiquitous in the solar energy community. It's there for the taking, or more often, buying. Check the NREL website for starters. Also, some time spent with a solar textbook will pay big dividends. Knowledge gained there will allow you to write your own software, save $$'s and allow you to estimate just about anything you can think of. Honest. Many individuals and organizations have done it. There's no trick to it. Resource assessment, as it is sometimes called, is a very well developed area in the solar energy field. The Solar Energy Society once had an entire division dedicated to it. Perhaps they still do.
                              After this message, I discovered that J.P.M. sent me PM weeks ago about a possible
                              program resource solution. I will need to go to the library to get enough bandwidth
                              to attempt this. Of course there is no way for me to realize a PM was sent; maybe
                              the problem is, my frequently checked email isn't on my profile. Its bcroeatjuno.com . Bruce
                              Last edited by russ; 03-11-2014, 02:43 AM. Reason: changed @ to at

Comment

Working...