X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poweri
    • Apr 2013

Solar Calculator

Hello,

I represent a Renewable Energy company in the Midlands, they commissioned me to create them a Solar PV calculator

poweri.co.uk/solar.php
    Feel free to you use and provide any constructive feedback you may have.

I look forward to sharing more tools with you in the near future, if you have any requests please also let me know
    Last edited by Mike90250; 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM. Reason: make links non-clickable
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

welcome you are, but spam is not.

new users have their messages monitored, and we have to remove clickable links. And since I cannot test the "calculator" because it is restricted to a small geographical area, I have to rebut with the Free, tested, PV watts link: http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/pvwatts/
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Poweri
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
      welcome you are, but spam is not.

new users have their messages monitored, and we have to remove clickable links. And since I cannot test the "calculator" because it is restricted to a small geographical area, I have to rebut with the Free, tested, PV watts link: http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/pvwatts/
      Mike this isn't spam, it's a perfectly legitimate tool that can help homeowners and installers. It's also not restricted either, I don't really understand your reply if I'm honest.

I posted the same message on another forum and it was received well, with some great feedback

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Close to spam - Looking to get cheap leads maybe. Not allowed.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Poweri
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by russ
          Close to spam - Looking to get cheap leads maybe. Not allowed.
          I dont see how a reputable company offering a tool they paid for, out to the general public for free can be spam.

The tool was created with the input by a gentleman who conceived of, developed and launched the MCS scheme in the UK.

You cannot get much more credible.

If you actually looked at it you'd see for yourself.

Comment

• PNjunction
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2012

Poweri - from the peanut-gallery, this appears to be nothing more than a grid-tie installer sales pitch, even with above-board good intentions. Many of us know the fallacy of PV saving money to the extent that is usually portayed, especially when all one can do is run on estimations.

How about just answering and participating in the forums with *generic* answers, not tied to any of your products or services. There are already quite a few threads from UK solar enthusiasts either running GTI or off-grid that would welcome your help.

To me, generic participation would be FAR more valuable than the calculator, and more likely to lead some to look you up commercially in the future. But you have to EARN that trust first. Sadly, the more we talk about it, the more exposure that site gets until that trust is earned.

Comment

• Poweri
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by PNjunction
              Poweri - from the peanut-gallery, this appears to be nothing more than a grid-tie installer sales pitch, even with above-board good intentions.

How about just answering and participating in the forums with *generic* answers, not tied to any of your products or services. There are already quite a few threads from UK solar enthusiasts either running GTI or off-grid that would welcome your help.

To me, that would be FAR more valuable than the calculator, and more likely to look you up commercially in the future. But you have to EARN that trust first.
              I wasn't looking to do anything other than offer this tool for people to use for free. That is it....

Think people have had too many bad experiences with spam

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Poweri
                I dont see how a reputable company offering a tool they paid for, out to the general public for free can be spam.

The tool was created with the input by a gentleman who conceived of, developed and launched the MCS scheme in the UK.

You cannot get much more credible.

If you actually looked at it you'd see for yourself.
                I did look before I posted - here is what I saw -

1) Data Protection: we may use your email address to contact you if we have any products or services we think may be of interest.

2) You have to leave name, address and email to use it - for example Sharp has a nice unit that requires none of those.

3) It is an attempt at free advertising - nothing more.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• PNjunction
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2012

I wasn't looking to do anything other than offer this tool for people to use for free.
                  Yawn. Plenty of competitors have similar calculator-estimators and drop them off as their first couple of posts never to be seen again.

How about offering something different, like actual *generic* participation by you or your engineers without any sales-pitch? If you helped just ONE holiday caravan traveller in the UK with the typical underpowered panel and large agm leisure battery, you'd be doing far more good in the long term commercially than what this estimator does.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

I wasn't looking to do anything other than offer this tool for people to use for free. That is it....

Think people have had too many bad experiences with spam
                    Yep. Many bad experiences, deleting many totally bogus messages daily from here. And since I can't make the tool work for me in California, it's noise. I left your message, on the off chance, that someone local, wanting to give out their contact info, may find it legit. But I'm not going to endorse it without being able to give it a quick and free test. Inventing a location and system to test on your site, and compare it to some trusted sites, is not quick.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...