Hybrid PV/Water Heater System in US similar to Naked Energy or Cogenra?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildta
    • Mar 2013

Hybrid PV/Water Heater System in US similar to Naked Energy or Cogenra?

I'm looking for a "hybrid" solar system that can create electricity using PV but also heat water for my pool. I've seen some products that have the features that I want but I can't find any that sell in the US or for residential. What's neat about a hybrid panel is that the cool water absorbs heat from the hot PV thus making it more efficient by running cooler and producing additional energy then when it's hot. The byproduct of cooling the PV is hot water for the pool or shower.

Here are three products that I found so far:

(UK)

(Commercial only)

(Echofirst: they almost have the right idea but I can't imagine using hot air to heat up water through an exchange is the most efficient way vs heating water with direct contact with hot PV panels)

I'm looking for a hybrid system because it just makes sense. Has anyone here seen a product like this being sold in the US for residential use?
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

there is such a product but the pool water will destroy it rapidly. which is why I will not disclose the maker.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Not only do they not make such an animal, by code they are not even allowed to be in the same space.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

You will always find people trying to hustle stuff like this no matter how bad the idea or how illegal.

There is nothing positive about the concept.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• wildta
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Naptown
          there is such a product but the pool water will destroy it rapidly. which is why I will not disclose the maker.
          I didn't think about the harsh chemicals of pool water. Guess I'll stick with a traditional solar pool heater.

Curious to know the brand of this product. I'd still be interested in heating water for home in addition to PV, similar to the Echofirst product.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Echo has a fancy website that seems to say nothing at all.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• wildta
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by russ
              Echo has a fancy website that seems to say nothing at all.
              You should try calling their 800 # and asking some very basic info questions. By reading this forum for a day, I felt far more knowledgeable than their reps.

Comment

• SoCalsolar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2012

Echo is a good product but

Echo is a good product but is mainly for domestic hot water and not pool. You could scale it up for pool use but it would make little economic sense. Retrofits can be complicated it is best used in new construction. Last I checked they use AUO modules and often use Kaco inverters. Last I checked they offer a lease which made little sense but the purchase price was inline with conventional panels. Where are you located? and what is your hesitancy in using traditional pool solar?

Comment

• wildta
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SoCalsolar
                  Echo is a good product but is mainly for domestic hot water and not pool. You could scale it up for pool use but it would make little economic sense. Retrofits can be complicated it is best used in new construction. Last I checked they use AUO modules and often use Kaco inverters. Last I checked they offer a lease which made little sense but the purchase price was inline with conventional panels. Where are you located? and what is your hesitancy in using traditional pool solar?
                  I'm in SoCal as well. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I also want to minimize the footprint of the panels because I don't want to see them and my roof doesn't have very much acceptable space to place panels.

In the end I may end up going traditional pool solar. I'll be honest, I haven't researched much with pool solar because I saw these "hybrids" and continued my focus on them. Maybe I should switch gears now.

Any ideas on a good pool solar that can be well hidden? My backyard is on a steep slope that faces somewhere between southwest and west-southwest.

Comment

• SoCalsolar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2012

pool solar is big and ugly

pool solar is big and not very attractive but it does work. I have seen different color panels to match your roof better but the most economical panels are the black. The hybrid systems are not economical for pool use. Most pool systems will cost 3-6k and should last 10+ years.

Comment

• wildta
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SoCalsolar
                      pool solar is big and not very attractive but it does work. I have seen different color panels to match your roof better but the most economical panels are the black. The hybrid systems are not economical for pool use. Most pool systems will cost 3-6k and should last 10+ years.
                      Thanks for the tips SoCalsolar. Know any San Diego vendors worth checking out?

Comment

Working...