Solar panels increase house prices.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TxSolarPro
    • Jun 2014

Dallas/Ft. Worth. Yes it's very subsidized here. With a utility rebate of $1.09 per watt we have a customer net cost of about $.75

Comment

• TxSolarPro
      • Jun 2014

I think we will start to see quite a bit of natural gas exports over the next decade and I think electricity prices here in TX will increase. The energy will still probably be cheap here comparatively but it will open more doors for solar.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by TxSolarPro
        I think we will start to see quite a bit of natural gas exports over the next decade and I think electricity prices here in TX will increase. The energy will still probably be cheap here comparatively but it will open more doors for solar.
        You make it apparent you are in marketing and know zip about natural gas and LNG. From what others in Texas and Dallas say you are a bit optimistic.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• TxSolarPro
          • Jun 2014

I'm not an expert on natural gas but I do know LNG exports are about to take off substantially. There are several new plants in the works. I have connections that deal with LNG and there are people overseas offering to buy buy buy but we have too little export capacity at this time. In the past 2 months (due to the Russia/Crimea conflict) the Obama administration has approved at least 7 additional LNG export facilities (liquification plants). With natural gas producing more of Texas' electricity (49%) than any other source it would make sense that an increase in natural gas prices will drive up electricity costs. Please inform me if my understanding is not correct.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Your understanding is totally off except that there is a market.

The supply can increase fairly rapidly. The costs in LNG are 1) the liquefaction plant, 2 the shipping, 3) the storage and gasification plant at the receiving end.

The liquefaction and gasification plants are expensive and not real quick to build. Everyone custom designs. There will be lawsuits trying to stop each of the plants I expect. They can be literally immense bombs in the event anything goes wrong. Great terrorist targets. No one wants them in their back yard. That is the reason the receiving point for one in New Orleans is offshore - even more expensive.

The ships are built to special order - there are none sitting around just waiting for cargo.

The is one of Obama's loony ideas to try to cover up his mess in the Ukraine. It will be years before any of it comes on line.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• TxSolarPro
              • Jun 2014

I'm sorry but I beg to differ for many reasons. Terrorism? Really?

We all know pricing is a result of supply and demand. Petroleum companies run this country, if you think that's untrue then your understanding of politics is lacking. These companies have invested many billions in hydraulic fracturing to recover NG. Now nobody is producing, they are just sitting on their reserves because prices are too low. Prices will increase and I realize that the supply pipeline is a few years away. I track the liquefaction plant progress because we are actually in that industry as well. I'm not sure of your background exactly or what makes you such an expert but I'm in the hydrocarbon industry here in Texas as well and I see big dogs betting $billions on the fact that NG prices will increase. These same big dogs pretty much write the laws in our country (I'm not saying that's a good thing) so I think it will happen. You can sit at your computer keyboard and disagree all you like.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by TxSolarPro
                You can sit at your computer keyboard and disagree all you like.
                Unlike you, some of us have experience. I worked in the business for many, many years and around the world - not just in Texas. Your reading would make a good comic book though.

Caution
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

The games the guy in the white house is playing with coal fired power generation have more potential to upset domestic prices than events around the world as regards NG. The announcement to be made today I believe it the high point for stupidity.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• EEMLoanGuy
                    • Jul 2014

The best answer is probably, but maybe not.

I'll limit the scope of my reply to owned solar. Appraisal methodologies and guidelines have started to evolve to allow appraisers to properly consider the value of solar PV. Sandra Adomatis has put in a lot of work in making sure that appraisers are trained to properly value solar PV and you'd be well served to look into some of her work.

However, everyone wants the quick and easy answer so I'll give one. GENERALLY, here in Arizona, the value added to the appraisal for a new installation is the purchase price less any incentives. SOMETIMES, an appraiser will give more value if they determine that the homeowner obtained their system at below market rates. Additionally, appraisers must provide an analysis of comparable sales with solar PV even if they do not rely upon them for their valuation...they now MUST be considered. Using the paired-sales analysis method it's possible that no value could be given to your panels since the paired-sales approach is intended to be the most representative of true market value.

It's somewhat safe to assume that you will get the "net price" of the system. But, you'd serve yourself well by contacting a local appraiser that is trained in valuing solar PV before making any decisions if the value added from solar PV is a factor in your decision to go solar.

If it's important to you, don't get your info from an internet message board, contact an appraiser in your area and keep in mind that appraised value is a bit of an art, you will still only receive their opinion.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

A house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Very rare anyone will pay what the house is appraised for or what the owner is asking. Those days are long gone.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by EEMLoanGuy
                        If it's important to you, don't get your info from an internet message board,
                        Agreed

contact an appraiser in your area and keep in mind that appraised value is a bit of an art, you will still only receive their opinion.
                        Never trust an appraiser - the donkey's backsides have cost me on development projects. Often their assumptions have a very questionable basis.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by russ
                          Never trust an appraiser - the donkey's backsides have cost me on development projects. Often their assumptions have a very questionable basis.
                          Most of the appraisers I've met did not impress me with their intelligence. Probably a job hazard from working with banks and finance companies and their stooges.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                            Most of the appraisers I've met did not impress me with their intelligence. Probably a job hazard from working with banks and finance companies and their stooges.
                            Oh they are intelligent. But their focus is usually on a way of getting more money into their pockets or who they represent.

Comment

• EEMLoanGuy
                              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by russ
                              I've received thousands of appraisal reports in my career. I've received my fair share from incompetent appraisers and others where as you say there were questionable assumptions. The HVCC (home valuation code of conduct) was great in that it set a firewall between lenders and appraisers so that lenders could not influence the valuation of the home, but it also made it difficult to engage competent appraisers with specific market knowledge and drove many highly qualified appraisers out of the business.

In my experience an appraisal with "questionable assumptions" can be successfully challenged, but it's not fun as appraisers have strong opinions regarding those assumptions. Specific to residential appraisals I've found it's best to try and engage a local appraiser with in-depth experience in the local market and if there are unique property features finding an appraiser with relevant experience. It's extra work, but it can save a lot of headaches. An appraiser that only appraises suburban tract homes at $200 a pop is going to provide an "interesting" appraisal report on say a rural dome home with solar pv.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

A big problem with appraisers is when the bank orders the appraisal and it comes in faulty - no way the bank changes it's mind as the officer would lose his head over it.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...