Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vballdad
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by sabersix
    A 16kW system is quite large. This MarketWatch article states that the average system is 5kW. Are you sure you need that many panels?
    Depends on your home, I'm 3400 sq ft + AC living area. In summer I need 65-70 kw production just to break even. 4 ton 2 stage and 2 ton single stage are the energy eaters. Wine cellar compressor runs a majority of the day in summer. Pool pump, Spa Pumps, it adds up.
    40-290w Hanwha SE10000
    26-310w Axitec SE6000

Comment

• vballdad
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by littleharbor2
      They had a roof blow off a hospital. Even if the racking holds the roof itself might be the failure point.
      Agreed! One difference, post Hurricane Charley, all of the homes built since have stricter code, hurricane straps, etc.
      40-290w Hanwha SE10000
      26-310w Axitec SE6000

Comment

• littleharbor2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by vballdad

Agreed! One difference, post Hurricane Charley, all of the homes built since have stricter code, hurricane straps, etc.
        The original owner builder of my Baja house had the perimeter of my garage roof bordered with large rocks. I immediately installed Hurricane Straps and used the rock in the landscaping on the property.. Two weeks ago we had a low grade Hurricane pass us by. Other than water intrusion from sideways rain, no damage on my place. We lost about 25 homes up the beach though.
        2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• Perci
          • Sep 2022

Originally posted by sabersix
          A 16kW system is quite large. This MarketWatch article states that the average system is 5kW. Are you sure you need that many panels?
          That’s the quote based on electricity usage in my house, my electric bill is ridiculous, and we in the house do not even carry out any activity that should reflect that cost. I’ve called FPL multiple times throughout the years, and he leads nowhere.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Perci
            That’s the quote based on electricity usage in my house, my electric bill is ridiculous, and we in the house do not even carry out any activity that should reflect that cost. I’ve called FPL multiple times throughout the years, and he leads nowhere.
            Let's back up a bit and address Sabersix's last post.
            He's right. A 16 STC kW system is pretty big.

How much electricity do you draw from FPL in a year ?
            - Not your bill.
            - How many kWh/year ?
            What's your zip ?
            What array orientation(s) were you quoted ?

When you called FPL multiple times, what did you ask them and how did they respond ?
            You said in a response to Suneagle that you hate feeling robbed. Well, a reasonably oriented 16 STC kW array in FL will produce something like 25,000 kWh/yr. which is something like 2X or a little less than the average U.S. annual single family residence use.
            So, if, as you say, you carry out no activity that should reflect that use, I'd guess you'd be really curious to get with FPL to see why they think your consumption is so high.
            What steps have you taken to verify your consumption ?

Comment

• sabersix
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Perci
              Perci, investing first in energy savings should be prioritized over adding solar. Things like new windows, insulation, variable speed pool pump, high efficiency A/C and appliances, etc. will all be a better investment than a large solar system. After understanding how you consume power and reducing your consumption smartly you can then confidently consider an appropriately sized solar system.
              5.775 kW System: 21 SolarWorld SW275 x 1 SMA 5000

Comment

Working...