Right price to pay in Connecticut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right price to pay in Connecticut

I installed solar at a previous home in 2015 and am researching again for my new home. Trinity Solar was soliciting in our neighborhood and quoted $54K for a 10.8 KW system, which equates to $5 per watt. This quote includes 1.99% financing over 25 years. They quoted an additional $39K for the addition of 2 Tesla powerwalls.

Green Energy solar proposed a much larger system, 20.075 KW with a cash purchase price of $70,262.50, or $3.50 per watt. If I want to finance at 25 years, .99% dividend, the price is $99,031.01, or $4.93 per watt.

These numbers are before the 30% federal tax credit.

The market obviously has changed since 2015, so I'm looking for advice on the correct price to pay, for both the solar system and the Tesla powerwalls. I paid cash last time and didn't wind up staying in the house, so I'm inclined to finance this time if the numbers made sense. I also need to get to the bottom of the large discrepancy in the size of the systems proposed by Trinity vs. Green Power. My home is a 3600 sq. ft, new construction purchased in November of 2021. Electricity usage for the first 8 months was as follows:

August 22 2346 kwh
    July 22 1520 kwh
    June 22 1495 kwh
    May 22 972 kwh
    April 22 1410 kwh
    March 22 985 kwh
    February 22 881 kwh
    January 22 1003 kwh
    December 21 933 kwh

Total for 8 mos 11,545 kwh

My uneducated assumption is that a 16-18 KW system would be the right size.

In summary, what is a good price in CT for a solar system and for the Tesla Powerwalls?

Does anyone have recommendations for companies working in CT that do quality work at a fair price?

What is the correct size system for my level of usage? Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

1.) Figure out how much of your proposed energy use you want to offset with PV.
    2.) Figure out the orientation for the location for the proposed array.
    3.) Run PVWatts for a 1 STC kW array.
    4.) Divide #1 above by the annual output found from step #3 above. That result will be your preliminary array size in STC kW.
    5.) Add whatever excess generating capacity for future (anticipated) needs you feel appropriate.
    6.) Shop around and interview several local installers who are also licensed electrical contractors who have been in business for at least 10 years and sold PV for at least 5 of those years.

Before all that read "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies" as a brush up on the basics.
    Get informed or brush up on the basics and then do your own preliminary sizing. You'll get screwed less by vendors if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by dglavin96 View Post

In summary, what is a good price in CT for a solar system and for the Tesla Powerwalls?

Does anyone have recommendations for companies working in CT that do quality work at a fair price?
      I do not know if Tesla operates in CT but for a combined Powerwall and solar system their prices have been much more competitive. For some people it is worth the savings but Tesla typically uses just a few sizes and if you fit within one of those you can save some money. You can often go online and get an automated quote without having to talk with a human.
      Last edited by Ampster; 08-27-2022, 03:58 PM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

CT has big incentives for batteries up front and ongoing where the utilities can "borrow" some of the capacity fo the batteries during times of need. The utilities pay an ongoing rate for this but in order to enroll the battery in the program a third party has to be involved to dispatch the battery. Tesla offers this service and take a cut of it. This creates a long term revenue stream on top of the revenue stream if they can convince the homeowner into leasing it. Tesla has gotten their pricing down on conventional panel installs so with the extra long term revenue stream from batteries that other installers may not be getting they can offer a lower price. I have not spent a lot of time looking in that market but think there are other firms playing in this field. Do your homework and buy outright.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
          CT has big incentives for batteries up front and ongoing where the utilities can "borrow" some of the capacity fo the batteries during times of need. The utilities pay an ongoing rate for this but in order to enroll the battery in the program a third party has to be involved to dispatch the battery. Tesla offers this service and take a cut of it. This creates a long term revenue stream on top of the revenue stream if they can convince the homeowner into leasing it. Tesla has gotten their pricing down on conventional panel installs so with the extra long term revenue stream from batteries that other installers may not be getting they can offer a lower price. I have not spent a lot of time looking in that market but think there are other firms playing in this field. Do your homework and buy outright.
          I'm aware of this program, but it's with Eversource, which only services part of CT. I have United Illuminating.

I'm hoping someone can tell what is currently a good per watt for a solar system, as well as for the batteries, in the current market. When I purchased a system at my previous house in 2015, the details of every solar purchase were displayed on a state website, because at that time CT was offering a rebate. This made it very easy to see which companies offered the best pricing. Unfortunately, that resource no longer exists.

Comment

dglavin96,

I just bought a new construction home in MD (approx. 4K+ sq ft), just around the corner from you. I ended up going with a Tesla 9.6kWh solar system with 2 Powerwalls. Below are my figures for the system, before the 30% federal tax credit.

Solar System $20,352.00
            $4,680.96 - 9.6000 kW DC Solar Panels
            $12,007.68 - Installation, Permitting, and Other Fees
            $2,442.24 - Inverter(s) & Balance of System
            $1,221.12 - Mounting Hardware

Powerwall $18,500.00 - Powerwall
            $17,000.00 - 2 x Powerwalls
            (Includes integrated or separate System communication device)
            $3,000.00 - Powerwall Installation
            ($1,500.00) - Powerwall + Solar Discount

Taxes - $0.00
            Contract Price $38,852.00

Credit for Rebate Value ($1,632.00)
            Credit for Order Payment ($250.00)

Amount Due $36,970.00
            Loan Amount $36,970.00

Also, if you would like another discount, you can use my Tesla discount code here: https://ts.la/james610101

I find that my home uses about 0.5 - 0.6 kWh at an "idle" without A/C. When the A/C kicks my electric load bumps up to about 5.0 - 6.0 kWh. I do have a gas powered tankless hot-water heater and furnace. My 2 Powerwalls will power my house from sun-down until morning easily if the prior day was sunny enough. Keep in mind that my solar panels are installed on an East/South East roof (see pic below). If you have any questions just ask.

Tesla Solar.png

James

Comment

dglavin96,

I forgot to mention, I chose the loan option and it is a10yr loan at 3.99% and payments are $333.65/mo...

James

Comment

Originally posted by deltoid1024 View Post
                dglavin96,

I just bought a new construction home in MD (approx. 4K+ sq ft), just around the corner from you. I ended up going with a Tesla 9.6kWh solar system with 2 Powerwalls. Below are my figures for the system, before the 30% federal tax credit.

Solar System $20,352.00
                $4,680.96 - 9.6000 kW DC Solar Panels
                $12,007.68 - Installation, Permitting, and Other Fees
                $2,442.24 - Inverter(s) & Balance of System
                $1,221.12 - Mounting Hardware

Powerwall $18,500.00 - Powerwall
                $17,000.00 - 2 x Powerwalls
                (Includes integrated or separate System communication device)
                $3,000.00 - Powerwall Installation
                ($1,500.00) - Powerwall + Solar Discount

Taxes - $0.00
                Contract Price $38,852.00

Credit for Rebate Value ($1,632.00)
                Credit for Order Payment ($250.00)

Amount Due $36,970.00
                Loan Amount $36,970.00

Also, if you would like another discount, you can use my Tesla discount code here: https://ts.la/james610101

I find that my home uses about 0.5 - 0.6 kWh at an "idle" without A/C. When the A/C kicks my electric load bumps up to about 5.0 - 6.0 kWh. I do have a gas powered tankless hot-water heater and furnace. My 2 Powerwalls will power my house from sun-down until morning easily if the prior day was sunny enough. Keep in mind that my solar panels are installed on an East/South East roof (see pic below). If you have any questions just ask.

Tesla Solar.png

James
                how much is the discount?

Comment

The referral link will earn you $300 back for Solar Roof or Solar Panels upon permission to operate.

James

Please no links or referrals.
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 10-20-2022, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X