X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timmons
    • Aug 2022

Sunpower Quote Price gouging?

Hello,

Recently i was quoted for a sunpower system 15.225 kw with their M series of panels 435 KW with micro inverters

Out of Pocket $59,793
    Federal Tax Credit $15,546

Bottom Line $44,247

When i calculate the price per KW this is coming in at almost $4 KW. This seems like an absurdly high quote. I knew going in they charge higher than industry average but just as a rule of thumb anything above 3.5 seems like someone might be putting a thumb on the scale and trying to make a buck from someone they perceive as falling for it. Is this thinking correct with a system this size and amount? I've been quoted for equivalent systems down to 3.25 KW. After informing the sales associate what I thought was a high price per KW, he mentioned that there have been price increases after august that validate this. I'm skeptical. Should I tell this kind of offer and associate to take a hike? Has anyone had any recent quotes that are like this?
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

Purchasing my equipment from the same vendor that Sunpower might use (CED Greentech, brick and mortar national vendor) I was at $1.33 watt. (April 2022) I just checked Panel prices they are up a bit roughly $.65 watt from when I bought in April $.50- .55 watt

Get 3-4 prices and compare. It's all about how much you can charge before the market pushes back.

Comment

• Timmons
      • Aug 2022

Thanks mike. So this person would probably be able to buy everything for $2 a watt and is up charging quite a bit. Will definitely be moving on if he doesn't come back down to planet earth. I

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Even in the past when their quality was first rate, Sunpower was always overpriced. In my area that premium was and still is about 1/3 more than the going and competitive rate for turnkey systems. S.P. quality is good, and I own a S.P. system, but it's no better than other quality stuff and their claims of greater output than other systems are simply B.S. - proving that is one of the reasons I got the S.P. system in the first place.

While you'll never get a turnkey system price anywhere near that of a DIY job, and depending on your area, $4/STC watt before rebate is still probably more than a buck or more higher than you can find for comparable quality if you do your homework, get educated and shop around.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

You might be able to save by using string inverters, if they fit your situation.
          They certainly will cut down on transmission losses and wiring. A ground
          mount will always be more expensive, but has a lot of advantages.

Hm, maybe those are 0.435KW, or 435W panels? Bruce Roe
          Last edited by bcroe; 08-08-2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• EverAzure
            • Aug 2022

My chin fell to the ground

Comment

• Cj5orion
              • Jan 2022

Yeah,,,I got a quote from them thru Costco ...$70k.
              priced same system for diy,,$18k.
              Ended up doing diy for $28k,battery backup-grid tie... that will power the whole house thru the night!

Plug n play diy "kit" from renology

Comment

• EverAzure
                • Aug 2022

Originally posted by cj5orion
                yeah,,,i got a quote from them thru costco ...$70k.
                Priced same system for diy,,$18k.
                Ended up doing diy for $28k,battery backup-grid tie... That will power the whole house thru the night!

Plug n play diy "kit" from renology

nice! Saved 40k

Comment

• Cj5orion
                  • Jan 2022

YEP...and all of it was pretty easy to install ! Getting the labels on in the right place and getting the panels up to the roof were the tough parts.

Comment

Working...