Is this a good deal for my home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good deal for my home?

Hi! This forum was very useful for my brother before he got solar, and said maybe folks can tell me if I think I'm getting a good deal here?

I was quoted by a company the following. $35,568 for 13.68kW of solar (why does it say that when it says year 1 production is 17,833 kWh?)

Any thoughts on this? I'm still learning!
    Attached Files

First off the basic cost is $2.60/watt ($35,568/ 13680watts = $2.6/w) which is pretty good if it is before the 26% tax rebate but also ok if it is after.

The 17833kWh is what that 13.68kw can produce in a year which is about 1.3kwh per watt which is also ok but not really that great.

I guess that savings are based on your average electric rate of $0.26/kwh which is pretty high and calculates the quick ROI.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 10-05-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      First off the basic cost is $2.60/watt ($35,568/ 13680watts) which is pretty good if it is before the 26% tax rebate but also ok if it is after.

The 17833kWh is what that 13.68kw can produce in a year which is about 1.3kwh per watt which is also ok but not really that great.
      Depends where he is. In New England we are typically at 1.2 kWh per watt or lower

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by PVAndy View Post
        Depends where he is. In New England we are typically at 1.2 kWh per watt or lower

Andy
        Well with that high electric rate I would presume somewhere in CA. Farther North and the rate would drop.

I think the rate down here in Fl is closer to 1.7kwh/watt

Comment

OP:

First and most important question: What are your goals in getting PV?
          Then:
          What's your zip, how much electricity do you use currently and what do you project your usage to be in the future ?
          What have you done to lower that usage through conservation and lifestyle changes ?
          Have you run a PVWatts preliminary design yet ?
          Have you had your roof inspected/repaired yet ?
          Have you read a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies" yet ?
          Are you familiar with your POCO's rate structures and your options ?
          Are you familiar with your POCO's net energy metering policies, if any ?

Answer the above questions and read the book. Then, after that, and not before, come back with questions with meat on them and you'll get better and more helpful answers.
          After that, and not before, get at least 3 quotes from local, licensed electrical contractors who've been in business at least 10 years and sold PV for at least 5 of those years.
          If you decide to buy, buy quality work and integrity, and not low buck - the errand of fools.
          Stay away from the big, national outfits. The more you learn, the more you'll see the wisdom of avoiding them.
          Never lease and never PPA.

Welcome to the forum of few(er) illusions

Comment

Working...
          X