Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Panel choices: SunPower E20 vs Solaria PowerXT vs Hanwha (QCell)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nrgshroud
    replied
    Originally posted by moviefan View Post
    I'm a newbie and just recently started looking for roof top PV estimates on a 5 kw system in Northern California.

at the moment, I'm narrowing it down 3 different systems and am looking for advice from the knowledgeable group of people here:

1) SunPower E20-327 panels (with built-in SunPower microinverter): cash price at $3.25/kw (pre-tax credit)
    2) Solaria PowerXT-355R panels (with built-in EnPhase IQ7+ microinverter): cash price at $2.74/kw (pre-tax credit)
    3) Hanwha Q.Peak Duo-G5 310 with optimizer: cash price at $2.90/kw (pre-tax credit)

I kinda choosing between SunPower and Solaria. SunPower is like 19% more expensive but warrant 92% Peak power rating. Solaria is cheaper but only warrant 80%.

I would like to hear from any of you and I'm open to any suggestion.

thank you.
    Guess I am late to the party. FWIW Solaria is now at 87% on their 25 year warranty.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by scottishjohn View Post
    I have had 2 x20 thermomax evac tubes for last 20 years and know I how much sun i get --the only problem as i see it is storing it long enough+ stopping stagnation of panels
    for it to work I need my tank to get to 80c+ by end of summer ,which is why I,m using 100c as absolute max temp for tank lining+ smaller buffer tank so when in winter i can only get 30c from panels once main tank has reached lower temp limit
    it will go direct to underfloor first and then to big tank if any surplus above min tank temp
    my underfloor in this house works happily on 30c water temp to get a room temp of 23c.-- --
    I take what you say ,but still maintain it will all be decided by the heat load of the new house design -my present house is about 15 kw,so if i can drop it to 5kw or less then it will be possible .
    as it will also be a lot easier to keep rooms at target temps due to insulation of new house
    viability will then be decided on initial cost and the savings in running costs
    I take on what you say about costing of panels but from my talks with panel makers evac panels will give close to twice the output that flat ones do in UK
    I understand why you go for them in your climate . keeping panels from shutting off for half the day because the tank is too hot is where I expect to gain the edge.
    I go back to simple physics --1000litres at 40c = 500litres at 80c ,as far as energy is concerned,which is where my concrete thermal mass storage around the tank comes in
    it will keep tank temp down ,so allowing it to keep on collecting energy.I know my old simple controller worked quite happily with a 6c difference between collector and tank .
    I also used a thermo blender on domestic hot water to 45c so I was not using water at 70c c and then adding cold at the sink
    my next part of the project is too do some work on the actual heat exchanger I will use in the big tank ,as maximium surface area is the goal and with a large tank 2mx2m footprint
    I am not going to be short of space --possibly a couple of cast aluminium radiators in parallel.or maybe multliple car radiators--certainly think simple copper tubing can be improved on
    Yes i,m pretty determined to do this --but nothing will be made until house design and heat load is known
    If you can build a house now with virtual zero energy requirement ,then it must be possible to use solar thermal for both dhw + space heating
    there is a nagging thing at back of my mind which says if house does only require 5kw ,then an inline electric 5kw boiler which costs only 600gbp
    coupled direct to underfloor is probably the cheapest way by far !!!!.
    for you guys where solar PV works then it could also be a winner on the right house,or just use 3kw imersion elements 20gbp each in thermal store
    heat pump or solar will cost thousands to do --so it would depend how long I live what would be cheapest overall in long run LOL
    yes I,m in of need Psychiatric help .LOL

John:

Good luck. I can only offer a respectful suggestion meant in the best possible way that with education being priceless, and paper mistakes being easier and cheaper to correct than construction mistakes, you learn as much about why some of your notions may not be the best long term ways to go before you commit to them. Whatever you choose , I wish you the best,

J.P.M.

Leave a comment:

• scottishjohn
    replied
    I have had 2 x20 thermomax evac tubes for last 20 years and know I how much sun i get --the only problem as i see it is storing it long enough+ stopping stagnation of panels
    for it to work I need my tank to get to 80c+ by end of summer ,which is why I,m using 100c as absolute max temp for tank lining+ smaller buffer tank so when in winter i can only get 30c from panels once main tank has reached lower temp limit
    it will go direct to underfloor first and then to big tank if any surplus above min tank temp
    my underfloor in this house works happily on 30c water temp to get a room temp of 23c.-- --
    I take what you say ,but still maintain it will all be decided by the heat load of the new house design -my present house is about 15 kw,so if i can drop it to 5kw or less then it will be possible .
    as it will also be a lot easier to keep rooms at target temps due to insulation of new house
    viability will then be decided on initial cost and the savings in running costs
    I take on what you say about costing of panels but from my talks with panel makers evac panels will give close to twice the output that flat ones do in UK
    I understand why you go for them in your climate . keeping panels from shutting off for half the day because the tank is too hot is where I expect to gain the edge.
    I go back to simple physics --1000litres at 40c = 500litres at 80c ,as far as energy is concerned,which is where my concrete thermal mass storage around the tank comes in
    it will keep tank temp down ,so allowing it to keep on collecting energy.I know my old simple controller worked quite happily with a 6c difference between collector and tank .
    I also used a thermo blender on domestic hot water to 45c so I was not using water at 70c c and then adding cold at the sink
    my next part of the project is too do some work on the actual heat exchanger I will use in the big tank ,as maximium surface area is the goal and with a large tank 2mx2m footprint
    I am not going to be short of space --possibly a couple of cast aluminium radiators in parallel.or maybe multliple car radiators--certainly think simple copper tubing can be improved on
    Yes i,m pretty determined to do this --but nothing will be made until house design and heat load is known
    If you can build a house now with virtual zero energy requirement ,then it must be possible to use solar thermal for both dhw + space heating
    there is a nagging thing at back of my mind which says if house does only require 5kw ,then an inline electric 5kw boiler which costs only 600gbp
    coupled direct to underfloor is probably the cheapest way by far !!!!.
    for you guys where solar PV works then it could also be a winner on the right house,or just use 3kw imersion elements 20gbp each in thermal store
    heat pump or solar will cost thousands to do --so it would depend how long I live what would be cheapest overall in long run LOL
    yes I,m in of need Psychiatric help .LOL

Last edited by scottishjohn; 10-13-2018, 10:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Before you build, evaluate if you have enough sun to generate enough heat , then check this DIY system out.

https://www.builditsolar.com/Project.../solarshed.htm

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    I still think solar thermal has a chance for heating house + dhw ,with large enough well insulated tank --but again till I get house design finished +thermal load is known it is hard to say how big a tank- my guess at this stage is 12000litres -- 2mx2mx3 m high
    been doing some plotting and asking grp resin suppliers questions --would seem easiest way to make a tank that will last 50 years is grp lined
    build it from concrete blocks 12" thick and lay grp directly onto inside of block work -plenty of resins that will take 100c for ever +although it will be a pain to do-i will have to go inside it to lay it up
    I am well versed in making things in GRP
    .--then surround block work with insulation
    cost it all then compare to cost air source heat pump system
    Solar thermal will only have a chance in your solar climate and then only a slim one. To have any chance at cost effectiveness, you'll need to first give up the idea of evac. tube collectors. They simply cost too much. Before that however, you will also need to first reduce your hot water load through lower use temps. and lower draw, as well as effective line insulation.

As you get more educated and move forward, my guess is you'll modify or abandon some preconceived notions about what works, what's achievable, what's practical and what's cost effective.

For starters you will never see anything cost effective for your applications or climate that uses solar thermal and will have an operating or even a needed design temp. of 100 C.

Not meant as a wet blanket, but I've been where you're at in the solar journey. Take it FWIW.

Respectfully,

Leave a comment:

• scottishjohn
    replied
    I still think solar thermal has a chance for heating house + dhw ,with large enough well insulated tank --but again till I get house design finished +thermal load is known it is hard to say how big a tank- my guess at this stage is 12000litres -- 2mx2mx3 m high
    been doing some plotting and asking grp resin suppliers questions --would seem easiest way to make a tank that will last 50 years is grp lined
    build it from concrete blocks 12" thick and lay grp directly onto inside of block work -plenty of resins that will take 100c for ever +although it will be a pain to do-i will have to go inside it to lay it up
    I am well versed in making things in GRP
    .--then surround block work with insulation
    cost it all then compare to cost air source heat pump system

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    so at that rate its not worth doing , which is what i,m thinking --will see what is on offer closer to the time .r
    Kind of what I was thinking.

I doubt the probability of PV ever being cost effective in your climate will ever be that high.

I'd respectfully suggest putting more thought and effort into conservation and some unobtrusive passive solar via widow placement, that sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• scottishjohn
    replied
    so at that rate its not worth doing , which is what i,m thinking --will see what is on offer closer to the time .
    roof angle will be more like 40-45degrees ,but 8kw array is a very large area to fit on a two level house roof --fine if big bungalow cos roof area will be larger
    why does it give best results at 40,when latitude in 54?
    my postcode dg8 6ah

Leave a comment:

• Fitzefatz
    replied
    https://www.expertsure.com/uk/home/t...el-calculator/ is a calculator. I have no idea how accurate it is (and the assumptions making that calculations). Play around with the numbers. If it's a new construction try to fill the unshaded south facing roof plane with a slope of 30 degrees+. Try to find an install under 1.1 pounds per Wp.
    A sample calculation: Edinburgh postcode, 8kWp, 9900 pounds, 50% export : (16840/9900+1)^0.05=1.05. 5% annually aren't much but at least it's profitable. Pay back time ln2/ln1.05=14 years.
    Once FIT is gone it most likely will be even worse.
    Last edited by Fitzefatz; 10-12-2018, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• scottishjohn
    replied
    Ok
    I have gone on to goverment site and done calculation ona 4kw system
    the results are worse than i thought --FIT has dropped again 0.036gbp
    i would attach the PDF file showing their results--but can see no way of attaching file to this forum

basically it will take 24 years to pay back
    a non starter --25years to make 1250gbp
    Last edited by scottishjohn; 10-12-2018, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• scottishjohn
    replied
    FIT is feed in tariff --rate government pay you for power sold back to them for 20 years
    I just checked it has now dropped to around 0.05gbp
    so getting even worse
    this website gives all historical and current FIT rates
    https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/sola...nt-grants-free
    could be no FIT by time I get round to build --which will be next year
    what with brexit and SNP independance --who knows
    I will revisit solar PV again closer to time and see how it stacks up

Leave a comment:

• Fitzefatz
    replied
    What do PVGIS/PVWatts give at your location? I guess around 900kWh/kWpeak. What is the FIT? In Germany we have FIT of 12.08 Eurocent per kWh (for size up to 10kWp roof mounted residential) garanteed for the year of connection + 20 full years. The owner has to register a business with the taxman but he therefore buys without VAT. And he has to declare his profits in his tax declaration. Installers are very agreesively pushing battery storage here (because of their margin - otherwise margins are slim). But the best storage of them all is the grid itself. So here it's economy of scale vs. measly FIT. The forum wizards on the German forum came to the conclusion: fill up your good roofs up to 10kWp, find a good planner/installer - and you'll make a small profit (repay time 12+- years).
    Installation costs recently have come down (cheaper modules the main reason). There have been 10kWp systems at under 1000 Euro per kWp lately.

Leave a comment:

• scottishjohn
    replied
    even the government renewable energy site suggest same pay back time and they have no axle to grind ,and new houses have to have some solar PV installed no option ,
    but yes I take all you say, cut down usage is always first plan ,
    new house will be far more energy friendly to start with
    4kw is the max size system you can claim a grant for --over that you do not get any RHI payments ,just FIT from what you produce --as that is alot less than what it costs to buy better to use it all
    If possible --not convinced battery systems are right price yet
    no my location +orientation is as perfect as it gets --

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    that will be about right as most quotes i looked at worked on 3600kw per year from a 4kw system and pay back is 7 years at that rate
    I'd respectfully suggest you verify what anyone gives you for suggested modeled output (even and maybe even particularly me), particularly if they have skin in the game - which I do not. My SWAG was for south facing, tilted at about local latitude with no shading. Your situation will be different which will skew the results.

BTW, if optimum cost sizing is one goal of the exercise, and if that 4 STC kW size was suggested by some vendor(s), know that you may or may not want or need a 4 kW size. FWIW, my guess is you may not be able to get PV generated electricity at a long term cost that will be less than the long term cost of simply paying for grid power, particularly at 800-900 kWh/yr. per installed STC PV kW, but that depends on a lot of things I'm not privy to for your particular situation. A lot of that adequacy depends on the assumptions about a lot of things that lead to that 7 yr. "payback", however that's defined, probably by whoever or whichever PV vendor is trying to get into your knickers. Even the 7 year time is a choice you make, not some vendor or "what everyone uses." If so, you may (gasp - oh no - he's saying it !!) be better off without PV, even though it's the darling of the tree hugger set at this time. Caveat Emptor. If it was me (and it ain't), I'd be putting my efforts into lowering usage and conservation efforts as better returns on my investment.

Doing your own preliminary system design using both simple (but not moronic) time value of money analysis tools and your own preliminary PV sizing based on your expected (lower) use with PVWatts are two easy tasks to learn and do. Taking the 20 min. or so to read the help screens for limitations and then an hour or less to get some facility with the model is a small price for what you get back in the way of knowledge and self help. I and lots of others have found it to be fit for the purpose of modeling for preliminary design purposes. There are many other models around and I've run and own my share of them, but PVWatts is adequate for most preliminary design purposes.

Leave a comment:

• scottishjohn
    replied
    that will be about right as most quotes i looked at worked on 3600kw per year from a 4kw system and pay back is 7 years at that rate
    Last edited by scottishjohn; 10-11-2018, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X