Best Solar Panel for my options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Solar Panel for my options

I am looking to add a solar system to my newly built house in Beaumont California. My House faces east/west and panels will have to be mounted on the east side. I have a little experience with them and understand the basics of how they work. I am looking for about an 8k system. After making numerous calls and getting many quotes I found a company which I liked due to their pricing and how informative the individual was and how he explained everything and answered my questions. For the quote he gave me he said I can choose between a few different panels. I need help with which is the best.

System Description: Solar System 8 Kw with Solar Edge Optimizers and Inverters
    Panels: 24- 29 (Depending on Panel Wattage size)
    System Size: 8kw

Canadin solar: CS6K-285M (285W)
    Hyundai solar: HiS-M300RI
    LG solar; LG335N1C-A5
    Mission Solar: MSE300SQ5T
    Panasonic solar: VBHN315KA01
    Solar World : SW 280 Mono

System Cost: $ 24,800.00
    Sales Tax $ 1,798,00
    Total Cost $ 26,598.00
    30% $ 7,440.00
    Net Cost $ 17,360.00

This is about 3.32 per kw which I know is a little high but best deal Ive gotten so far.

After doing some research, the LG and Panasonic seem to be the panel of choice and my best bet. I've seen people say go for mono but is poly better or worse? I got a bit confused?

The installer recommended the Mission power panels but after reading many articles about them, they don't seem to be very stable and I'm going to stay away from them.

Any input would be great, thank you!

I'd start by knowing how much electricity I use in a year, how much I pay for it, how the POCO billing structure works, and then run PVWatts and estimate a size based on how much of your bill you want to offset.

If you've done all that, and ~ 8kW is the size you came up with, then I'd get a few more quotes keeping in mind that, beyond some basic quality level, panels are pretty much a commodity these days. Finding a good and reputable installer is as, or more important than the equipment selection.

Panasonic may give slightly better performance in a higher temp. climate such as yours due to a slightly better temp. coeff., but the wind may negate a lot of that benefit.

If you're near the pass, you may want to discuss wind loadings with vendors. It ain't full of wind turbines for nothin'.

Your equipment choices seem reasonable. I'd take time to interview vendors and find one you believe you can trust and communicate well with.

For you, east or west is about a wash in terms of better orientation, either one giving ~~ 85 % or so of the south facing orientation.

Comment

J.P.M.

Thank you for the info, After working all my numbers, the 8k system is exactly what we need. The installer we found had great reviews on numerous different websites and so far has been the best to communicate with and by communicate with I mean explaining their products, what they offer, why the recommend certain things plus giving me the option of choice. Every other installer I have spoke with have not been good at all and I would not trust them to install.

Being in the low desert it does get very hot and not to sure about how much wind we will get so I may lean towards the Panasonic. Does the type of panel make a difference such as mono, poly or mono perc or mono hybrid?

Im currently doing more research on those..
      Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by EEAE6000 View Post
        J.P.M.

Thank you for the info, After working all my numbers, the 8k system is exactly what we need. The installer we found had great reviews on numerous different websites and so far has been the best to communicate with and by communicate with I mean explaining their products, what they offer, why the recommend certain things plus giving me the option of choice. Every other installer I have spoke with have not been good at all and I would not trust them to install.

Being in the low desert it does get very hot and not to sure about how much wind we will get so I may lean towards the Panasonic. Does the type of panel make a difference such as mono, poly or mono perc or mono hybrid?

Im currently doing more research on those..
        Thanks again!
        You're welcome. Download for free and read : :Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". Or, buy an updated/revised version for ~ $ 20 at bookstores or Amazon. Knowledge is power. Get some.

Mono are more efficient and so tend to take up a lot less space. They are also more durable, but may cost a bit more/STC Watt. For my money, they are superior for residential applications.

As for wind, that is always a consideration, but being in Beaumont, and that being near the Banning pass, noted for wind, was the reason I mentioned it. Used to drive through there most every day on the 60 /I-10. There's 1,500 wind turbines there for a reason. You been there long ? If not, depending on your location, you may be in for an education.

Comment

Working...
        X