Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed for solar - already bought (and paid a lot) however need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for solar - already bought (and paid a lot) however need some advice

Hey guys,

So I discovered this site after purchasing my solar and looking at the prices unfortunately I got the short end of the stick. I definitely paid more then the normal price so yeah.
    After discovering this, I have talked to the company to ask for some adjustment since clearly we overpaid. They agreed to add two more panels for free (it's no awesome deal but it's better then nothing?)

Here is the info:
    Company Name: Future Energy Savers (in Elk Grove/Sacramento Area). http://futureenergysavers.com/
    Size and Specs: 18 panels from SolarWorld at 280 watt panels. Microinverters from enphase with a 96% interver rating. 30 year warranty on panels and inverter.
    Estimated annual production: 7616
    Rating: 4.38 AC or 5.04 DC
    Price: $34,480 before incentives. comes to $6.84 a watt
    I'm located in Elk Grove

After they add the two more panels, it'll be at 5.60KW DC and 20 panels. New price is now $6.15 a watt.
    So I need some guidance, is this it or can I do anything more to offset the huge cost difference (overcharge) that I paid.
    Again, yes I overpaid and I have had a good long conversation with the company about it but I'm just wondering if there are things in place to help customers like us or is that it.

Please advise.
    Last edited by reginaldsharma; 07-23-2017, 07:51 AM.

Oh wow -- trying to think of something constructive and positive to say . . . I'm sorry to hear that. I suppose you didn't get a second quote either before pulling the trigger?

How long ago did this happen? Have they already filed all of the paperwork / commissioned the system? If they add panels, you'll probably need to refile / re-permit / re-inspect as well.

Did they start the install or can you cancel and walk away (and presumably lose your deposit)?

Regrettably, unless they deceived you somehow during the purchasing process, or forged the paperwork in some way, there's not really too much to be done -- caveat emptor.

I'm not a mean spirited person, but that pricing goes way beyond what might be considered "reasonable". Reminds me of quotes I've gotten from Renewal by Anderson and some other high profile big name home remodeling vendors. Like the $67,000 quote I just got for siding.

You could go out of your way to give them honest, accurate, and bad publicity by plastering the name of the company and the price they gouged you all over EnergySage, Angies List, Google, and this board. But, in the end, you'd really only be hurting yourself a second time by alienating yourself from the company in the event that you hoped to get any services from them (under warranty) down the line.

Is it a small company? You could try having a frank and honest conversation with the owner to see if they'll see the error of their ways and try to make you whole. Did the owner themselves do this, or was it a bad apple on their team? Anything above $4.00-4.50/Watt (except maybe top of the line SunPower) in this day and age is highway robbery.

Two extra SolarWorld panels and a pair of Micros (Say Enphase M250) is worth maybe $700 plus installation, so maybe $1000-1500 in all. Not really much of a concession on their end.

Comment

Sorry, I should have added, as a realistic comparison, you should expect to pay approx $3 per Watt. Occasionally as low as $2.80 (rarely) more commonly in the $3.00 to $3.50 range.

Comment

You could try complaining to the Better Business Bureau (on the phone and in writing). But regrettably, overcharging a customer by that much -- while bad form -- isn't against the law. If they haven't started installation, I would seriously consider talking to a lawyer about breaking the contract. If they've already put holes in your roof, you're probably stuck.

Comment

Hey guys,
          yeah they have already installed the system and yup we didn't get a second quote because we trusted them.

i really wish companies like these would take care of their customers especially since we are their second time customer (our first time the price was a lot less and we actually were not taken advantage of).

I'm going to ask them for at least 4 panels to give us 6kw D.C. Since that should be easy and my wife is also not happy with two. It feels like a slap on the face.

There were some promises that the salesman said to us that we will be able to do like monitor each inverter (which now we found out can't be done unless we pay extra) and 15 min interval monitoring which again I found out can't be done and if done then the free check ins by the company become $100 initial fees (no idea why).

I even have people wanting to buy from these guys and are asking for my input, I've told the company because they will make money from clients that I refer but in return I get two panels makes me seem like I'm a nobody.

Just wish i could could get some of my cost back to me in form of more panels.
          I have emailed and called/VM the sales manager again and asked to speak directly to the owner this time. If they still don't care then I am thinking of filling a BBB and also making it public. I really wish to squash this issue first hand then to resort to it. I've even told them that here are my concerns, all I ask is for you to take care of me and I will take care of us.... so far, nothing.
          Can I do legal action?
          Last edited by reginaldsharma; 07-23-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

You got screwed and that sucks, but unless there's fraud involved or something illegal in the contract your signed, my guess is you'll have to eat it.

I would watch the system like a hawk. Paying a lot does not guarantee quality work - maybe the opposite.

I'd respectfully suggest you divulge the company's name. Except for the equipment, that sounds like something SolarCity or one of the other national outfits would pull. If you did that, at least others in your area who show up here will be made aware of who to avoid and be better able to avoid getting the same screwing you got.

Knowledge is power. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
              You got screwed and that sucks, but unless there's fraud involved or something illegal in the contract your signed, my guess is you'll have to eat it.

I would watch the system like a hawk. Paying a lot does not guarantee quality work - maybe the opposite.

I'd respectfully suggest you divulge the company's name. Except for the equipment, that sounds like something SolarCity or one of the other national outfits would pull. If you did that, at least others in your area who show up here will be made aware of who to avoid and be better able to avoid getting the same screwing you got.

Knowledge is power. Caveat Emptor.
              Actually checking over the contract and reviewing everything that was promised to us from the sales rep, we did not get all that was supposed to be. I had to get involved and even threaten to leave negative reviews and escalate things higher if they do not give me the features that were promised by the company. After almost 2 months of arguing and constant back and forth, we got a few of the items however the stress that my family went through was not worth it. Also the fact that we were promised they monitor everything hence why they have a higher premium vs others (better service) was not delivered at all.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about with this? I'm searching online and found a few really good resources that help in things like these, I'll be contacting them for legal advice but wanted to know if the this community can also help us out please. I would really appreciate it.

A full review of this company with all the hardship we had to deal with (especially my son who has a medical condition) will be posted soon. I just need to get this figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by reginaldsharma View Post

Actually checking over the contract and reviewing everything that was promised to us from the sales rep, we did not get all that was supposed to be. I had to get involved and even threaten to leave negative reviews and escalate things higher if they do not give me the features that were promised by the company. After almost 2 months of arguing and constant back and forth, we got a few of the items however the stress that my family went through was not worth it. Also the fact that we were promised they monitor everything hence why they have a higher premium vs others (better service) was not delivered at all.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about with this? I'm searching online and found a few really good resources that help in things like these, I'll be contacting them for legal advice but wanted to know if the this community can also help us out please. I would really appreciate it.

A full review of this company with all the hardship we had to deal with (especially my son who has a medical condition) will be posted soon. I just need to get this figured out.
                If you are serious about some serious satisfaction, lawyer up. If not, don't bother. Small claims court may be one path, but if you've looking for satisfaction for stuff you signed off on, that may be a tough sell to a judge/arbitrator, particularly if binding arbitration is a part of the contract.

As far as reviews go, do as you wish, but this place is not the venue for it. Besides, most here may already share the opinion that Vivant's a POS outfit. You'd probably be preaching to a good portion of the choir or singing a tune they've been hearing from me for several years now., but the low $$ mentality and B.S. con from solar peddlers is a tough nut to crack.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

If you are serious about some serious satisfaction, lawyer up. If not, don't bother. Small claims court may be one path, but if you've looking for satisfaction for stuff you signed off on, that may be a tough sell to a judge/arbitrator, particularly if binding arbitration is a part of the contract.

As far as reviews go, do as you wish, but this place is not the venue for it. Besides, most here may already share the opinion that Vivant's a POS outfit. You'd probably be preaching to a good portion of the choir or singing a tune they've been hearing from me for several years now., but the low $$ mentality and B.S. con from solar peddlers is a tough nut to crack.
                  understood.
                  i have also posted their name in the OP so people can be aware to avoid this company.
                  hopefully I can help at least one other.

Comment

Working...
                  X