4 6v 225ah each/ MPPT 60ah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 6v 225ah each/ MPPT 60ah

Hey every1.... I was thinking of buying 4 6v 225ah Trojan battery's n I was wondering how many watts do I need to charge them all.?(450ah)

what do I have!!!!

i have 5 100watts planes I have Morningstar tristar 60A MPPT ...(12volt systems I have )

(from 7am to 5pm sun every day ) that's 10hrs of sun.

How r Trojans battery's if sum1 have try them...should I buy them or no ?

on the mppt it says max input volt is 150v. And it says on 12v system 800watts . N I know each 100watts give u 20volt out. So if I have 8 100watts that make it 160volt doesn't it ?(20x8=160)

how can I connect them them all when my mppt says max input is 150volt. And I know never max the mppt volt so I was thinking going for 140volt

12v 800watts
    24v 1200watts
    48v 2000watts ect

p.s. I hope you understand what I was trying to say..n thank you for your time
    Last edited by AranM0n3y88; 04-18-2017, 07:52 AM.

Originally posted by AranM0n3y88 View Post
    Hey every1.... I was thinking of buying 4 6v 225ah Trojan battery's n I was wondering how many watts do I need to charge them all.?(450ah)

what do I have!!!!

i have 5 100watts planes I have Morningstar tristar 60A MPPT ...(12volt systems I have )

(from 7am to 5pm sun every day ) that's 10hrs of sun.

How r Trojans battery's if sum1 have try them...should I buy them or no ?

on the mppt it says max input volt is 150v. And it says on 12v system 800watts . N I know each 100watts give u 20volt out. So if I have 8 100watts that make it 160volt doesn't it ?(20x8=160)

how can I connect them them all when my mppt says max input is 150volt. And I know never max the mppt volt so I was thinking going for 140volt

12v 800watts
    24v 1200watts
    48v 2000watts ect

p.s. I hope you understand what I was trying to say..n thank you for your time
    First off you want an even number of panels. (say 6 or 8) Then you can wire them 2 sets (or strings) in parallel. That should keep the input voltage below that 150v max. With 8 panels you would have 4 wired in series as a set and 4 more as a second set. That gets you 800 watts which is the maximum for that 60A MPPT CC.

Or you can go with 6 panels wired as 2 sets of 3 to be safe an not exceed that 150V max. And 600 watts would be just right for a 450Ah 12 volt system.

Going to 800 watts might be pushing it and could charge your batteries too fast under certain conditions.

Comment

(from 7am to 5pm sun every day ) that's 10hrs of sun......
      You have 10 hours of daylight, and likely only 5 useful hours of Solar. When the sun is low in the sky, my 5KW of PV only makes 300W at 8am.. Doesn't really get going till 9:30am, and fades away at 3pm. Sunsets at 6:30

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank sun..
        but still if I put them in set of 4 doesn't make the volt 80 all 4 of them? 80 + 80 =160 volts in 2set of 4 ...

do u have. A link or video that will show me....

I was thinking of adding 1 more 100watt to make it 6 but wanted to know if it will charge 450ah.

What do I use....

i have a resg.. 125wats x 6hrs
        tv. N starsat 45 watts x 6hrs
        light 30 watts x 6 hrs (Doing the night time only 6p.m to 12am)
        n phone charge which i can't say how much watt. Cuz I charge dem w.e I can
        That's 200watts ..

Comment

Thank sun..
          but still if I put them in set of 4 doesn't make the volt 80 all 4 of them? 80 + 80 =160 volts in 2set of 4 ...

if you have two strings of 4 each coming in at 80V and you parallel the strings then the volts do not change.
          Parallel doubles amps but does not change volts.
          Series doubles volts but does not change amps
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

This is how I set mines but 5 not 4... That make them 100volts (5) right n if I add 3 more 100watts it will make them 160volt Do u have any link or any kind of way to show me in pic or video so I could understand it fully.

and doesn't the mppt take volts and amps at the Same time?

Thank for ur time
            Attached Files

Comment

This is how I set mines but 5 not 4... That make them 100volts (5) right n if I add 3 more 100watts it will make them 160volt Do u have any link or any kind of way to show me in pic or video so I could understand it fully.

and doesn't the mppt take volts and amps at the Same time?

Thank for ur time
              First off what is the Voc rating of those 100watt panels because I know they are not 20V?

Next when you wire up panels in series you add up the Voc to get a total and then you tack on another 15% which can happen in the morning on a cold day. That is the total DC voltage you have to figure as input to your CC.

So yes you might get 6 of those 100 watt panels wired in series to not exceed that 150V but why take the chance. Just wire 2 sets of 3 and you won't exceed either the max DC voltage or DC amps of that charger.

I am beginning to get worried that you have no electrical experience and will not properly protect your system wiring. You really need to do some reading and learn about solar power electrical circuits or your DIY system is doomed to fail.
              Last edited by SunEagle; 04-18-2017, 12:28 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

Lol thanks I guess am learning u can say ...

i have 2 100 watts with 21.5 voc = 43 volt
                3 100 watts with 22.4 Voc =67.2 volt

=110.2 volt in all

n wat u mean by "tack on another 15% " ?

so u wat me to set my 600 watts in 2 sets. Which is better den all together!!right ?

Comment

Lol thanks I guess am learning u can say ...

i have 2 100 watts with 21.5 voc = 43 volt
                  3 100 watts with 22.4 Voc =67.2 volt

=110.2 volt in all

n wat u mean by "tack on another 15% " ?

so u wat me to set my 600 watts in 2 sets. Which is better den all together!!right ?
                  The "tack on another 15%" is a safety factor that most Charge controllers indicate to add to the added panel Voc values because a panel can produce about 15% more than the rated Voc in cold early mornings. If you fail to add that extra amount in your calculation some people have inputed too much DC voltage and have hurt their CC.

So the 5 - 100 watt panels would total 110.2 volts. If you add on another 15% that would calculate to about 16.5 volts or a total of 126.8volts which is less than that 150v max input rating.

But if you go to 6 - 100 watt panels wired in series, you could easily exceed that 150V max rating, so going to 2 sets of 3 would be safer and better way of using 600 watts.

I wasn't trying to be mean toward you when I felt you didn't understand what you were doing. I just don't want you to get hurt which can happen if you don't understand electrical circuits and the dangers associated with them.
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 04-18-2017, 01:29 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

Thanks n I don't mind ... So should I connet them them like I did but do them in 2set (the pic above ) n the wireding should be the same wired that goes Down to the mppt or should every set have they own wired....

what do you think is best n longer life time. Having 4 6volt or 12v each n what is better for solar gel, sealed, or agm ? Thanks for ur time

Comment

Thanks n I don't mind ... So should I connet them them like I did but do them in 2set (the pic above ) n the wireding should be the same wired that goes Down to the mppt or should every set have they own wired....

what do you think is best n longer life time. Having 4 6volt or 12v each n what is better for solar gel, sealed, or agm ? Thanks for ur time
                      Depending on the distance between the solar panels and the CC you can combine the 2 sets but the wire has to be sized to handle the combined amps of both sets and not allow a voltage drop of more than 2%.

IMO the best type of battery for solar (based on cost and lifetime) would be FLA type that you can get access to each cell to check the acid level and confirm the SOC (state of charge).

Gel type would be the worst, AGM or any Sealed will work but usually cost more than standard FLA and may not last as long.

Those 6v Trojans are a good direction to go. While it is not smart to have parallel batteries your first set of 4 should last a while.

The next set should be a string of 6 x 2V 450Ah batteries. That would be a better way to build a system with them all be wired in series.

Comment

From my solar to battery is around 20meter I would say...
                        when u say a while around 4 5 years ect or how long ?
                        and my wire is 12m

n 2v would be better but cost more n need more planes so that's out of the ? lol

so wat should I have 2 12volt better better?
                        what does imo means ?

And doesn't the more ah on a batter is the better lasting ..

if it was u wat Battery would u choice wat band....

thanks
                        Last edited by AranM0n3y88; 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

From my solar to battery is around 20meter I would say...
                          when u say a while around 4 5 years ect or how long ?
                          and my wire is 12m

n 2v would be better but cost more n need more planes so that's out of the ? lol

so wat should I have 2 12volt better better?
                          what does imo means ?

Thx
                          IMO - Just a short way of stating In My Opinion.

I believe you will find that a 225Ah 12volt battery to be very big, heavy and expensive even if you can find one. So stay with the 6 volt ones for now.

I am not sure what 12m is in wire size. Do you mean 12mm in diameter or 12mm in area?

Comment

So wat u saying if I find a 200 ah 12v Battery I should buy 2 of them better den 6v... n I don't mind the heavy part Cuz I would move themy only 1x

and around 4awg (copper) 12 in diameter I guess

Comment

So wat u saying if I find a 200 ah 12v Battery I should buy 2 of them better den 6v... n I don't mind the heavy part Cuz I would move themy only 1x

and around 4awg (copper) 12 in diameter I guess
                              No getting the 6 volt Trojan would be the better way to go.

Also I doubt you will find a 200Ah 12volt battery. If you did it would probably be an AGM type and be very expensive. Not something you should look for.

The #4 AWG should be fine for the 20 meter run between your panels and the CC but I would think the wire terminals on the CC will not accept that large of a wire.

Comment

Working...
                              X