SolarCity 20-year lease too good to be true?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Sorry not a mod
    but I am suspicious of any deal where the financials are not disclosed.
    Generally a purchase is better than a lease in the long run
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• rbtrrer
      • Apr 2011

LIONS & TIGERS & MAGICAL INVERTER FAIRYS...OH MY!!!

I'm staying tuned on this one

you guys ROCK

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by phubner
        @russ -

Sorry if I stepped on some toes when I posted my analysis on the offer presented to me (post #47). As I said in the portion of my post that you deleted, I choose not to go with the lease, so it wasn't praise for SC.
        You noted that the lease seemed to be too good to be true and then supported your statement.

Russ
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Winsox
          • Apr 2011

@ phubner - Thanks very much for what you've shared and to everone else for all of their opinions. There are hundreds of thousands of people like me who want to install solar but do not have the funds, know how, time or desire to do all the paperwork . Leasing makes so much more sense to me for just these reasons. I live in CO, was just approved for a lease and am now looking at the system size.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Hi Winsox - What is your purpose for wanting solar if I may ask.

Russ
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Winsox
              There are hundreds of thousands of people like me who want to install solar but do not have the funds, know how, time or desire to do all the paperwork . Leasing makes so much more sense to me for just these reasons. I live in CO, was just approved for a lease and am now looking at the system size.
              You can save, in one case we were recently discussing, maybe 20% on your electric bill with a zero down lease - this was for one location in the Bay Area in California. You would have to -

1) Own your home
              2) I expect good credit is required
              3) Be comfortable with effectively putting your home up as security for the lease. If you can't pay the bill you can not just turn the payments off.

The hundreds of thousands of people out there wanting to lease? Maybe and maybe not.

Anyone that does not take time to learn about solar prior to signing a lease - just listening to the neighbor and barber - may well be in for a surprise.

In purchasing a system the individual does NOT do the paper work - that is the work pf the sales company.

Russ
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• funkytipu
                • Apr 2011

Need Immediate help!

Hey Russ,

I have a very similar but unique situation. Slight difference is that in Oregon, they are running a Pilot Feed In Tariff program. In this case, if selected in the Pilot, Portland General Electric pays 46.8 per kWh for any electricity sold back to the grid. The rate is lockd in for 15 years.

Only a handful of residential customers were chosen and I was one of the lucky ones.

Solar City gave me 3 options - 1) 0 down Solar lease option, 2) Pre pay $1966 solar lease option 3) Just purchase the system for $4450 (With FIT, the system will be $10000 because I won't get $6000 Oregon tax credit due to the requirements of the FIT Pilot program.)

In my initial meeting, they had said that If I get chosen in the pilot program, there are no out of pocket expenses. However, once I got selected, they are saying that I need to pay $1966 to cover part of the cost.

So my question - is it worth purchasing the system for $10000 and then sell to PGE any excess power at 46.8 cents or do the lease in which case I only pay $1966 but Solar City will sell any excess power to PGE instead of me.

Send me your email and I will send you the proposals I got?

I will also attach a document that i sent to my Salesperson to address the concerns that I had regarding FIT and some comparisons.

The key is I am running out of time to take advantage of being on the Pilot as I have to say Yes or No to Solar City by end of Thursday morning as Oregon has a very tight timeline in getting all the paperwork in to them

Thanks for looking into it. Also keep in mind that I am thinking of moving out of this house in probably 6 yrs as my kids grow older and I will need more room.

FT

By the way, I really appreciate what you all are doing here. Without this kind of conversations, I would not have been able to make a sound decision on such a big investment.
                Last edited by funkytipu; 04-21-2011, 01:36 AM. Reason: Adding comments

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Hi FT - We (especially me) are not always right but we attempt to provide the best advice and suggestions we can - this goes for not only Mike, Sunking and I but all of the group that helps out. Everyone is trying to help others. Several of the guys are very experienced - Rich is a solar installer.

Received the document and am looking at it now.

Probably the salesman just didn't know what he was talking about concerning the change and 1960$ payment requirement.

The FIT has no meaning if there is no export - possibly Solar City can take advantage of the program somehow.

If you live there for 5 years only then all you are doing is trying to make the home more attractive for sale. The low initial electric rates make this tough.

In the event of any lease Solar City claims all rights to SRECs, credits, incentives or whatever else is available. If you own the system these are yours.

The zero down with the monthly payment seems to offer no advantage - now or 5 years from now. The rates are too low.

The 1966$ down option - in 5 years you will see no benefit (only expense) but it would be attractive to a buyer it seems.

The outright purchase - they try to dress it up by extending the savings over a 30 year period but for your purposes that does not help. I can't see where it serves a purpose. They use a 5% electric cost escalation it looks like.

The 1966$ option with a 15 year cost for roughly 300 kWh/month of 3.6 cents is good. However, with your plans to move after 5 years you can only view it as paying 2000$ for a sweetner for selling the home in the future.

In any lease the warranties should cover the system for the time they own it - I am not clear they really say that.

Russ
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Naptown
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by funkytipu
                    Hey Russ,

I have a very similar but unique situation. Slight difference is that in Oregon, they are running a Pilot Feed In Tariff program. In this case, if selected in the Pilot, Portland General Electric pays 46.8 per kWh for any electricity sold back to the grid. The rate is lockd in for 15 years.

Only a handful of residential customers were chosen and I was one of the lucky ones.

Solar City gave me 3 options - 1) 0 down Solar lease option, 2) Pre pay $1966 solar lease option 3) Just purchase the system for $4450 (With FIT, the system will be $10000 because I won't get $6000 Oregon tax credit due to the requirements of the FIT Pilot program.)

In my initial meeting, they had said that If I get chosen in the pilot program, there are no out of pocket expenses. However, once I got selected, they are saying that I need to pay $1966 to cover part of the cost.

So my question - is it worth purchasing the system for $10000 and then sell to PGE any excess power at 46.8 cents or do the lease in which case I only pay $1966 but Solar City will sell any excess power to PGE instead of me.

Send me your email and I will send you the proposals I got?

I will also attach a document that i sent to my Salesperson to address the concerns that I had regarding FIT and some comparisons.

The key is I am running out of time to take advantage of being on the Pilot as I have to say Yes or No to Solar City by end of Thursday morning as Oregon has a very tight timeline in getting all the paperwork in to them

Thanks for looking into it. Also keep in mind that I am thinking of moving out of this house in probably 6 yrs as my kids grow older and I will need more room.

FT

By the way, I really appreciate what you all are doing here. Without this kind of conversations, I would not have been able to make a sound decision on such a big investment.
                    The FIT is that for all electricity generated or for only excess generated this point makes a huge difference. Generally here SRECs which are similar are for all power generated and essentially you are selling to the grid all of the electric generated and buying back most of not all. If you have a lock and get credit for all of it this may make for a different decision.

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Also keep in mind that I am thinking of moving out of this house in probably 6 yrs as my kids grow older and I will need more room.
                      Then forget it. If a lease, there may be problems selling the house. Then transfering the billing/payment to/from the utility.

If you were staying, I'd say BUY, but for 6 years, I don't know if it's worth it. Can you put a ground mount in the yard, and take it with you ?
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Naptown
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2011

If you follow the apraisers guidlines for every dollar saved on utilities this equates to a gain in equity of between 15 and 20 dollars. This is based on the principal and interest over 30 years at 6%. The lower number is probably more accurate. Even if it only adds a marginal value to the property it will sell much faster particularly as energy costs rise. And this is not like a swimming pool people place value on energy efficiency and reduced utilities costs.

Comment

• funkytipu
                          • Apr 2011

Hi Russ, Rich and Mike,

Thanks for responding. Mainly after going through the whole forum and then talking with PGE and Solar City Salesperson, I have now a very good understanding of how things work.

Now I just have to decide if I want to go with Lease or Purchase. With FIT, purchase is definitely looking good if I can cover the $17000 upfront for the system. The system would hopefully pay for itself within 4-5 years with 46.8cents/kWh that PGE will pay and the tax credits. PGE will actually pay me upto the amount of power I use with this Pilot which I did not realize till last night.

Mike,

I like the idea to see if they would be willing to put it on the ground but I doubt if it will get the best sunlight.

Also I found out from PGE, that any power that I do not use, goes into an energy bank that I can tap into during winter months like Net Metering.

I asked the Salesperson why they suddenly added the $1966 to the lease when initially they said it was $0 out of pocket and he explained that Oregon dropped the rates in Pilot which increased the cost for me at the last moment which is true. In october when they ran this Pilot, the FIT was around 59.8 cents/kWh.

So need to take some time and make a decision

Comment

• funkytipu
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Naptown
                            If you follow the apraisers guidlines for every dollar saved on utilities this equates to a gain in equity of between 15 and 20 dollars. This is based on the principal and interest over 30 years at 6%. The lower number is probably more accurate. Even if it only adds a marginal value to the property it will sell much faster particularly as energy costs rise. And this is not like a swimming pool people place value on energy efficiency and reduced utilities costs.
                            Hey Rich, Are you talking about if I went with Purchase or Solar Lease option? or in either case?
                            thx
                            FT

Comment

• Naptown
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2011

Hey Rich, Are you talking about if I went with Purchase or Solar Lease option? or in either case?
                              thx
                              FT
                              That would apply to a purchase mostly. A lease at 5 years out would be a considerable less value as there are still payments due on it and the potential problems of transferring the lease. Generally we find at least in Md that systems are paid off in 5 years with SRECS still to be collected and the savings are all yours with no lease costs.

Comment

• Benben
                                • Apr 2011

Solar Lease

I would love to see a copy of any leases anyone has available. Please send it to bentley@theleveredge.com.

Comment

Working...