what is the change with net 2.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the change with net 2.0?

I am told that PG&E in Northern California will go to net 2.0 pricing/restrictions sometime in July or Aug. Can anyone tell what are the proposed changes from net 1.0 and how that would affect me if I wait to have PPA solar put in at August timeframe?
    tjcooper

At the current install rates for PG&E, it seems unlikely that the cap will fill by July. It's been going at around 50 MW/month with a little over 300 MW remaining. It's likely that the monthly rate will increase somewhat, perhaps a lot, but even at 100 MW/month it would still last until the end of August. September or October might be a likely time. Lots of stuff can cause delays so don't dally too much.

I've been keeping track of the recent remaining capacity under NEM 1.0 in this thread: https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...-solar-install

As for what changes with NEM 2.0.. there's a few good articles if you google for it. It's not terribly different, just not quite as good.

Comment

I was just about to start a thread on this exact topic. I was reading the following article/post from a solar blog. I am really hoping that some of the knowledgable folks hear can comment on it. (I didn't know if it would be appropriate to outright cut and paste it.)

http://blog.genability.com/2016/03/i...solar-savings/

But I did want to specifically highlight one part - because it didn't make sense (given everyone' seeming race to beat Net 2.0.)

The chart from the blog doesn't make sense - or at least, it doesn't seem to track the anxiety over Net 2.0... can someone help me understand what I am missing? Or is it a situation of cherry picking numbers to make it look like it isn't any big deal..?

Comment

They're conflating the effect of two changes. NEM 2.0 will require users to be on TOU plans. TOU plans at the moment typically have better returns for solar panel owners than non-TOU plans. For some users pushed into NEM 2.0, the increased charges will be largely off-set by switching from a non-TOU plan to a TOU plan. However this is obviously a fairly useless conclusion since nothing stops a NEM 1.0 owner from being on TOU (hopefully most are) and reaping the benefits without the downsides. The chart doesn't compare NEM 1.0 on TOU vs NEM 2.0 on TOU.

Comment

Originally posted by ltbighorn View Post
          They're conflating the effect of two changes. NEM 2.0 will require users to be on TOU plans. TOU plans at the moment typically have better returns for solar panel owners than non-TOU plans. For some users pushed into NEM 2.0, the increased charges will be largely off-set by switching from a non-TOU plan to a TOU plan. However this is obviously a fairly useless conclusion since nothing stops a NEM 1.0 owner from being on TOU (hopefully most are) and reaping the benefits without the downsides. The chart doesn't compare NEM 1.0 on TOU vs NEM 2.0 on TOU.
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ltbighorn View Post
            Another "numbers don't lie, right?" Well yes they can fib. They should've compared pge E6 under nem 1.0 vs nem 2.0. Or at least asterisked on the charts where the savings originated from.

Comment

Working...
            X