Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding My Existing Bill vs Future Credits

Hi Forum Members:

As I work through the actual cost and break-even time for going solar, I've been carefully analyzing my electric bill - I found myself confused.

1. My bill (from SCE) has a "delivery charge" and a "generation charge." (so if I use 10kWh of electricity, I pay both for the commodity and for the delivery of the commodity.)
    2. So how does this work when I set up a solar power system on my house? (especially if I am still grid-tied?)
    3. Will the solar power I generate merely give me a credit for the commodity but not the delivery?
    3a. Or would I typically only pay for the delivery of the electricity used in the evening?
    3b. Or do the credits I accrue usually cover both commodity & delivery?

Obviously whether I still pay for the delivery would seem to substantially impact the manner in which the solar power system "breaks even" over time.

(Yes, I have been staring at the SCE site for quite some time today... looking at Tiers, Baselines, etc. - and reading Solar Power Your Home for Dummies - But so far a clear answer eludes me... so I thought I would ask more experienced folks that may be on this forum).

(And yes, I have called SCE.... and I am just sitting on an very, very long hold time) Chances are the answer may come faster here!

Thanks in advance!

Jason

You get credit for the full retail value of what you produce (delivery, generation, taxes, fees, etc). It gets more complicated if you offset enough energy to where the monthly minimum charge becomes applicable.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Thanks! As I predicted, you were faster than the SCE hold time.

Comment

That is a great question. I didnt catch how or why they were now breaking each kw into a delivery and energy cost. Its of course so they can eventually still charge you for delivery even if they pay you for energy they buy from you. I thin the answer above is correct but I wouldnt bet on that being correct in a year or 2

Comment

Hopefully if that changes, it will be after Tesla (or someone else) has a practical home battery solution... so we can just "waive goodbye" to the utility.... and its bloated bureaucracy....

Comment

Originally posted by entgegnen View Post
            Hopefully if that changes, it will be after Tesla (or someone else) has a practical home battery solution... so we can just "waive goodbye" to the utility.... and its bloated bureaucracy....
            You better keep a good supply of candles because you won't be able to afford those home battery systems and will need something to provide you enough light to read by.

Comment

Looks like I'm stuck then... sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by entgegnen View Post
                Looks like I'm stuck then... sigh.
                You may still be able to save a lot of money using solar based on what your rates are through SCE. I just wouldn't count on waving goodbye to them any time soon even if someone comes up with a lost cost battery. It might happen but I don't think it is just around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadh View Post
                  That is a great question. I didnt catch how or why they were now breaking each kw into a delivery and energy cost. Its of course so they can eventually still charge you for delivery even if they pay you for energy they buy from you. I thin the answer above is correct but I wouldnt bet on that being correct in a year or 2
                  Grandfathered for 20 years, as decided by the CPUC. Things can change, of course, but the politics of california would have to shift substantially for that happen in this matter, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

Grandfathered for 20 years, as decided by the CPUC. Things can change, of course, but the politics of california would have to shift substantially for that happen in this matter, I think.
                    As long as the state government set the goal of 50% from RE by 2030 I would expect the "credits" will hang around a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

As long as the state government set the goal of 50% from RE by 2030 I would expect the "credits" will hang around a long time.
                      The 50% RPS legislation (SB350) puts very little value on rooftop solar. Net Metering is being evaluated on its own merits, with the next revision likely to come in 2019. However, the 20 year grandfathering of those under the existing interconnects is settled and not directly tied to other legislative activity.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

The 50% RPS legislation (SB350) puts very little value on rooftop solar. Net Metering is being evaluated on its own merits, with the next revision likely to come in 2019. However, the 20 year grandfathering of those under the existing interconnects is settled and not directly tied to other legislative activity.
                        Sorry. I forgot about home roof top solar not being part of that 50%. Seems kind of stupid if that 50% is every going to be met.

Comment

Working...
                        X