SunPower vs SolarWorld/others, price and quality?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

I can be reached by emailing my user name @yahoo.com. Without a closer look at consumption history, and some discussion of the risks of TOU changes, I can't say it is a mistake. However, my guess is that a smaller system would probably achieve your goals.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Noblesoft
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by randomuser

Noblesoft, sorry for hijacking your topic.

No worries! This is all relevant information to me as well.

In my case, my usage was 10,580 kwh over the past 12 months... so I sized my system for 10,500 (100% offset). That said, we used to be even higher, and we've been conserving a lot... leaving the AC off when it's 90 outside, switched all our bulbs to LED, invested in smartthings and nest to turn things off when we leave, etc. Hence my supposition that our usage will only go up now that we're generating our own energy.

Regarding the contract stuff, I'll definitely be looking into the contracts closely. I usually do anyway, especially for smaller companies, because they usually haven't had a team of lawyers write it, and there can be some weird stuff in there.

And to your point about 25 years being an eternity, agreed. 25 years ago, if you were putting solar panels on your roof, you were an exception, and likely spending 2x-3x what you're paying today. I'd venture a guess that in 25 years we'll have that "solar paint" or "solar shingle" all hammered out, and it will be standard on all construction.

I reached out to Stephen over at SRE, and will be getting a quote for an LG system, too. I name-dropped this forum, and he mentioned that he did indeed recently get a customer from these forums... so hopefully my name-dropping gets me a good deal, too.

I've also been using the CSI database to great effect, pushing back on the prices I've already gotten... seeing if I can get a deal in the bottom % of deals over the last year, rather than the middle/top of the pack. Hopefully it works... to the informed go the spoils of research!

Comment

• randomuser
        • Feb 2016

I'm hoping in 25 years, cold fusion will be a reality, where energy is free and we'll all look back at our foolish decision to install solar. One can hope. I signed my contract on Friday and the permit drawings and info was sent to me over the weekend. So far, so good. Let's see how long my city takes to approve the permit.

Comment

• Noblesoft
          • Mar 2016

I got a quote back from SRE today for an LG system using their 315w panels and my option of SolarEdge or Enphase for inverters. His pricing is indeed very fair, coming in around $3.35 for me. I was sold on Enphase until recently, now I suppose I could be convinced either way. They both seem to have the same capabilities more or less. Enphase has the benefit of being more modular with a longer warranty, SolarEdge has the benefit of being in an easy-to-maintain area (rather than up on the roof in the punishing heat), and less expensive. Beyond that, I've read a lot about the two and they seem fairly comparable.

Still going to check out one or two more offers. Also actively beating up a SunPower rep to see if I can get them to match the prices I am seeing on the CSI database. They're having a hard time.

Comment

• Anjen
            • Mar 2016

How do you calculate the per kilowatt pricing I see. The quotes I am getting a lump sum for a system. Maybe I am overthinking this, any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Noblesoft
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Anjen
              How do you calculate the per kilowatt pricing I see. The quotes I am getting a lump sum for a system. Maybe I am overthinking this, any help would be appreciated.
              Pretty simple, just take your total system price (before incentives) and divide by your system size in watts. You can get your system size by multiplying the wattage of your panels by the quantity of panels you're getting.

Comment

• mattp
                • Apr 2016

What would a good price to be under where it would be considered a decent deal to consider SunPower modules? I got a quote from an installer who recently started offering them was:
                $4.13/dc watt for a 6.54kw 20 module system
                when i asked for a quote on slightly larger system
                $4.00/dc watt for a 7.194kw 22 module system

Comment

• danthi
                  danthi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Matt. Would you please share the name of the installer that quoted you on the 6.54kW 20 module system. Thank you.
              • Anjen
                • Mar 2016

Who is SRE, at 3.35 per is very inexpensive compared to what I have gotten. Please share.

Comment

• sensij
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2014

Noblesoft included a link to SRE in post 19. Just click it.
                  CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mattp
                    What would a good price to be under where it would be considered a decent deal to consider SunPower modules? I got a quote from an installer who recently started offering them was:
                    $4.13/dc watt for a 6.54kw 20 module system
                    when i asked for a quote on slightly larger system
                    $4.00/dc watt for a 7.194kw 22 module system
                    Sunpower is quality stuff for which they extract a high premium. Think of a Mercedes vs. a Toyota for hauling groceries. You can get as good an annual output for about a buck/Watt less before tax credit with just about anyone else's panel. If cost effectiveness, long or short term, has any place in your decision making process, Sunpower's overpriced for what you get.

Comment

• rsilvers
                      • Apr 2016

$4/W for SunPower for a small 7K system seems like a great deal to me, assuming a quality install.

I would ask - do they run conduit in the attic or on the roof? Do they relocate plumbing vents? Is the price all-inclusive to do a great job? Does it include enrollment in SRECs?

My installer specifically said he would run all the conduit inside the attic with it entering the roof under a panel, and all of the junction boxes inside the attic.

Comment

• huevosman
                        • May 2016

Hello

I am trying to do some research on the price quote that I got from a local company to install 11 Sunpower E20-327-C-AC panels on my main house and 5 panels on my guest house, they are on separate meters with PGE.

I have been quoted 25,500 with everything out the door, is this competitive or should I be looking elsewhere

Thanks

Comment

• rsilvers
                          • Apr 2016

Depends on where you live.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by huevosman
                            Hello

I am trying to do some research on the price quote that I got from a local company to install 11 Sunpower E20-327-C-AC panels on my main house and 5 panels on my guest house, they are on separate meters with PGE.

I have been quoted 25,500 with everything out the door, is this competitive or should I be looking elsewhere

Thanks
                            Two ways to answer that:

1.) For two separate systems probably about right for Sunpower stuff.

2.) You can probably do about $5K less for about equal output and quality by using other quality equipment from outfits like LG, SolarWorld, Canadian Solar and others. Sunpower's good stuff, but usually ~ $1.00/Watt more up front. You get bragging rights and not a lot more for the premium. So, S.P. is not as cost effective as other quality equipment. in terms of cost per delivered Watt by most reasonable cost analysis.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 05-22-2016, 11:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• huevosman
                              • May 2016

Northern California - San Jose Area

Is it worth it for me to move forward? My current bill is only about 100 per month on the main house and 40 per month on the guest, planning on adding an EV in the next year though....

Comment

Working...