What stage does my project need to be in before the net energy metering cutoff in Dec

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steel_3d
    • Oct 2015

What stage does my project need to be in before the net energy metering cutoff in Dec

I'm wondering if I started my project this month, knowing it likely won't be turned on this year based on permitting delays, will I still be grandfathered in on the current net energy metering rules?

Which stage of permitting do I need to be in to be grandfathered in?

Put another way, what paperwork do I need to submit in December if I want to catch that train?

I'm with LADWP.

On a related note, no one seems to have any idea what the new net energy metering regulations will be, and they're supposed to come into effect after this year. Does that seem a little crazy only to me? Or they're not coming into effect for quite a while, only the grandfathering period is expiring?

Do people really think the new rules can be so bad as to offer wholesale rate to solar producers at peak time?? That makes no economic sense to me, at all. I also don't understand how neutering NEM and sharply cutting the return on investment of solar helps California get to 50% renewables by 2030.

On the flipside, it might be wisest to wait for the regulations to be finalized, to understand what the return on investment is even going to be long term. I believe the grandfathering period on NEM is only five years? Most systems won't have paid for themselves by then, and the rate of return cold sharply diminish after the 5 years are up.
  • solar_newbie
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by steel_3d
    I'm wondering if I started my project this month, knowing it likely won't be turned on this year based on permitting delays, will I still be grandfathered in on the current net energy metering rules?

Put another way, what paperwork do I need to submit in December if I want to catch that train?

I'm with LADWP.

On a related note, no one seems to have any idea what the new net energy metering regulations will be, and they're supposed to come into effect after this year. Does that seem a little crazy only to me? Or they're not coming into effect for quite a while, only the grandfathering period is expiring?

Do people really think the new rules can be so bad as to offer wholesale rate to solar producers at peak time?? That makes no economic sense to me, at all. I also don't understand how neutering NEM and sharply cutting the return on investment of solar helps California get to 50% renewables by 2030.

On the flipside, it might be wisest to wait for the regulations to be finalized, to understand what the return on investment is even going to be long term. I believe the grandfathering period on NEM is only five years? Most systems won't have paid for themselves by then, and the rate of return cold sharply diminish after the 5 years are up.
    I am not sure other place but PG&E states grandfather clause stays until the end of year 21 statement for NEM 1.0.
    No one know about NEM 2.0, but there are different proposals from power companies, such as charge for inter connection, charge for the grid, eliminate benefit of TOU, billing monthly.
    For me, it is right things, you use what you made and do not use more and not pay as you get in today benefit ... I use more than I made, but pay just few of them due to TOU. I use more in winter, but will pay back in summer, I use the grid for banking my energy but do not pay (cheapest battery ever) ... So I am better to lock my NEM 1.0 now and sleep for 20 year (or even 21) without worry anything.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

I'm with LADWP.

I'd call LADWP and enquire, or check their website and get your information from the horse's mouth rather than a forum where the information is hoped and deemed to be accurate, but not guaranteed.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

I'm with LADWP.

LADWP is not subject to AB327, and has not projected an end to their net metering program. They will not be required to honor the same grandfathering as the big IOU's if and when they choose to end their net metering plan. They have, as a parallel option, been offering a feed-in tariff.

Questex and AHLA partner to launch The Hospitality Show – read more Questex connects communities across five high-growth industries Wellness Hospitality Travel Life Science & Healthcare Technology It happens here. CONNECT WITH US

My (wild) guess is that they will wait to see how NEM 2.0 shakes out for the IOU's over the next 2-4 years before making any major changes to their plans.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• steel_3d
          • Oct 2015

Solid info, sensij! That takes a lot of pressure off, knowing that LADWP is not actively trying to kill NEM and there's no actual deadline.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...