X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
    What I meant is if a solar system design required a smaller wattage inverter or multiple inverters smaller than the 7600 would those units work or does the PowerWall battery only work with the 7600?

One of the shortcomings of installing a large inverter is the size of the main panel buss rating and the size of the back feed breaker. Some panels are too small to install an inverter that "can" generate 7600 watts.

So my question is does SolarEdge make other sized inverters that work with a PowerWall battery or will the homeowner have to replace the existing inverter with that 7600 rated one?
    Currently only the SE7600 which is capable of 8350watts AC is going to work with the StoreEdge system. I would suspect though that next year they will be rolling out the new HDwave inverters, likely all will have StorEdge capability.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal
      Currently only the SE7600 which is capable of 8350watts AC is going to work with the StoreEdge system. I would suspect though that next year they will be rolling out the new HDwave inverters, likely all will have StorEdge capability.
      http://www.solaredge.us/files/pdfs/p...tasheet_na.pdf
      I understand that SolarEdge will be introducing new (and better) hardware. I just read another thread on this forum where someone was installing a system > 10kw soon and were thinking about using either a 10kw inverter or 2 x 6000w inverters. My guess is that neither of those two models would work with the PowerWall battery system like the SE7600 was designed for.

It comes down to if the home owner is thinking about going down the path of an energy storage system (hard to justify with today's prices) should they only consider installing a 7600 model now or install what is best now and wait for the PowerWall to ripen and then swap out the first inverter with one that works with a storage system tomorrow.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

I understand that SolarEdge will be introducing new (and better) hardware. I just read another thread on this forum where someone was installing a system > 10kw soon and were thinking about using either a 10kw inverter or 2 x 6000w inverters. My guess is that neither of those two models would work with the PowerWall battery system like the SE7600 was designed for.
        That is my understanding.

It comes down to if the home owner is thinking about going down the path of an energy storage system (hard to justify with today's prices) should they only consider installing a 7600 model now or install what is best now and wait for the PowerWall to ripen and then swap out the first inverter with one that works with a storage system tomorrow.
        We have done several installs with a SE7600 instead of SE6000 or SE5000, because homeowner wants future powerwall capability.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal
          That is my understanding.

We have done several installs with a SE7600 instead of SE6000 or SE5000, because homeowner wants future powerwall capability.
          That makes sense. I would hope other installers at least let the customer know about the need for the SE7600 as an option to go with for future PowerWall install.

Comment

• DanKegel
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

That data sheet looks like the Powerwall battery system would work with that inverter but you may still need to purchase and install an autotransformer.
            Hey, maybe I lucked out. My unit is "SE 7600A* US".

Though since I'll have net metering, it may be a while before I have incentive to invest in a battery.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel
              Hey, maybe I lucked out. My unit is "SE 7600A* US".

Though since I'll have net metering, it may be a while before I have incentive to invest in a battery.
              Maybe Tesla won't be the only player that works with the SE inverters.

I just read about Pathion acquiring Spyder9 battery products. If you check out the Pathion website it looks like they are at least working on small to medium energy storage systems using Li Ion chemistry.

Comment

Working...