My first SREC Check in NH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first SREC Check in NH

I have had Grid tied PV for a over ten years and have slowly expanded the system to the point where I run a surplus that I use for heating. I was aware of SRECs in other states but it wasn't until last year in NH where the rules were in place for small homeowners to sell SRECS. The state regs were definitely oriented to large system owners. A loose coalition of local energy groups figured what the rules were and after a fair bit of paperwork a year and 1/2 ago, several local small systems got certified for generating SRECs. A couple of SREC aggregators got involved in the market mostly to prove to the NH PUC that contrary to the local utilities claims that small PV works in NH. All the hassle finally culminated in a check in the mail today for last years generation. Not a large sum but enough to cover my connection fee to the utility and maybe buy a clamp on ammeter.

Of course if my house was in Massachusetts, the check would be 5 times larger (due to much higher SREC payments values in Mass) but I will stick to NH which has no sales or income tax.

Congrats!
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Glad things are working more in you favor then before.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats. Hope the SREC's work out well up there for you. Love them here in MA.

P.S. I'll keep our modest 5% income tax vs. your property tax, and will take the 15 minute ride to your state to escape sales tax and support your economy. Let's consider a Cape Cod summer and your White Mountain fall foliage to be a wash

Comment

Nice! Hope the system we are installing will generate credits someday...

Comment

That's awesome. Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to get the SRECS?

Comment

Originally posted by BP781 View Post
              That's awesome. Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to get the SRECS?
              which state? (every state is different)

Comment

Terribly sorry, NH.

Comment

Try here.....one of many:

http://www.srectrade.com/#markets

Comment

Thanks Dan, but they do not have NH on their website.

Comment

Thanks Dan, but they do not have NH on their website.
                      http://www.srectrade.com/srec_markets/new_hampshire
                      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

First thing to know, they don't make it easy. If you place value on your time, expect a couple of year payback . A minor rant is that installers should be handing a customer a package explaining the process. If you are paying them to do the work this should be part of their scope of work. I have heard some installers are having the consumers sign over the SRECs revenue somehow so that the installer gets the checks over the life of the project but expect that is probably more tied into leases where they are conveniently not mentioned to the homeowner.

First thing you need to do is decide, do you want to be a independent generator or do you want to work under an aggregators registration ?. The difference is, as an independent you own your own SRECS while under an aggregator, your SRECS are mixed in with a pool of other SRECS. The aggregator is usually a SREC broker and you pay him a commission and are pretty much stuck with him. As an independent you still need a broker and in theory can shop around brokers to get the least commission. You can not sell them yourselves directly. If you want to be independent you will need an ISO New England registration number. I didn't go that route and have assigned my recs to a broker to reduce hassle.

Now you need to contact the NH PUC and get the latest "Renewable Energy Source Eligibility for Class 1 and Class 2 form". The PUC was supposed to be simplifying the process but I couldn't find anything on their website about the new process. Give them a call and expect they will point you to the proper person. Here is link to a random past application (not mine) that came up when I searched for the form.

13-245 2013-08-26 REA APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATION AS A REC ELIGIBLE FACILITY-STEVE MADDOCK.pdf

Unless the rules have changed you will need to fill out this (or a newer version) of this form, get it notarized and then send it to the state. They process it and give you authorization to sell SRECs.

Now the final leg of the process is to find a independent auditor to certify your SRECS. The state doesn't trust you the generator to self report so they require that an state registered independent auditor report your SRECS. He inspects your system to verify that they metering accurately reflects your true SREC production, then reports it on continuing basis. The independent auditor doesn't work for free so you will most likely pay him to visit your site once and then pay him yearly to report your results. I believe these are flat rates, he can not charge you a percentage as that might encourage him to bump up the numbers to raise his commission.

For most newer systems equipped with online access, your results will be read quarterly over the internet by the auditor and then he will officially enter it into the states system. I have a physical production meter for three independent arrays so I have to send him a dated digital photo every quarter of the production meter reading (not the household meter). Once he has entered the production, then the SRECs are "minted". There is unique electronic certificate, sort of like an electronic stock certificate or maybe a bitcoin, that is issued in either your name if you went the ISO new England route or in your aggregators name. This electronic certificate is now something that you can sell through a broker. There is a lag in the process of a 16 months so it will be awhile before a check shows up in the mail.

If you are altruistic, there are some entities that accept donations of SRECS, I don't know of any but have heard it happens.

If you are still reading and your head is spinning a great resource for SRECs in NH is Paul Button from Energy Audits Unlimited

http://www.energy-audits-unltd.com/bpit.html. He is an independent auditor and responsible for enrolling many of the small PV folks into the SREC program. I think he has over 500 systems he keeps track of. If you look at the bottom of the PV page, there are two brokers listed, I happen to have my system enrolled with Revolution Energy as they offered the option for me to skip the ISO New England registration. I think I pay a 20% commission but it may be more or less. I haven't checked the other firm out but suggest you may want to before starting the process.. There are more independent auditors out there but no good way of finding them. I think PAREI in Littleton has one and there may be more. Same with brokers.

From what I understand the SREC market in NH is pretty "thin" and due to low prices compared to Mass, there aren't a lot of brokers or auditors in the market. The main reason why folks like Paul got involved is that the NH utilities used to testify that there is no viable market or use for solar in NH and that the state should keep solar carve outs and SRECs out of the picture. They still are somewhat successful at artificially keeping the SREC rates low but by having actual folks selling SRECS it proves that solar does work in the NH market. GIven that the state hit the 50 MW net metering cap, I guess solar does work.

Keep in mind that technically once you sell a SREC you are no longer being "green" with your power production you are effectively signing the rights to being "green" to the person who bought your SREC. The state of VT was playing the game where they were encouraging folks to install solar to be "green" but turned around and was selling the SRECs to offset the cost of subsidies. They do the same thing with wind and as a result they almost got thrown out of the SREC market.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by peakbagger; 04-11-2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X