So its not worth it for me, but I can still save!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Photonfanatic
    Its odd that such a big company (when it comes to aluminum heat barriers) would recommend an improper installation of their product. They're one of the premier ones out there.
    Not at all - they are going for the after market where most people installing the stuff have no idea. It is easy to staple it down to the roof and then shingle over it.

On the other hand in the attic is more work and most people are not interested.

Foil radiant barriers are nothing new - they have been around 50 years plus that I can think of.

The company you speak of will no doubt justify their silly instructions but that just tells you something about the company. The blurb on the net wa probably never even ran by anyone who had any idea - just an English or Arts major.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
      That is how my radiant barrier is installed. It is stapled to the rafters which creates an air gap between it and the underside of the roof. It is open just about 12 inches at the roof peak which forces the hot air to rise where it is sucked out by two fans near the peak. It really does drop the temperature down to the 80's where it had been over 110 before the barrier was installed.
      That is ho wmin ewas done and designed by my company Mechanical engineer. What you describe is exactly how it was deisigned to work by creating another layer of air insulation at taking the heat straight out the top of the ridge vents.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Photonfanatic
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
        That is how my radiant barrier is installed. It is stapled to the rafters which creates an air gap between it and the underside of the roof. It is open just about 12 inches at the roof peak which forces the hot air to rise where it is sucked out by two fans near the peak. It really does drop the temperature down to the 80's where it had been over 110 before the barrier was installed.

If you're powering those fans, you're wasting electricity, according to the Attic Foil rep I talked to. He said once that barrier is there, you don't worry about any heat that is behind the foil. Its done its job and you won't improve anything by moving the air around that's between the foil in the roof. It just emits back out, the way it came in. Eventually.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

If you're powering those fans, you're wasting electricity, according to the Attic Foil rep I talked to. He said once that barrier is there, you don't worry about any heat that is behind the foil. Its done its job and you won't improve anything by moving the air around that's between the foil in the roof. It just emits back out, the way it came in. Eventually.
          You have the full heat soak in all materials above the foil - it is good but not like that fellow seems to think.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Well first the fans are powered by solar panels so it is not running up my electric bill.

Second, even though the foil keeps the heat from penetrating into the attic and rooms below it does collect in the attic peak. Since I do not have ridge vents for the heat to get out I use the small fans to suck out the heat through two 20 x 20 vents in the side of the house near the peak. They do a great job of getting the heat out.

Comment

Working...