Suggestions on Lead Free Solder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Lead Free Solder

I am replacing my solar storage tank and would like to hear suggestions for lead free solder brands that have good purity and flow action.
    What brand do you pros use?
    I have never had any problems with lead based solders but an old roll of Canfield lead free,Silver, Tin and Copper alloy I’ve tried does not flow to my liking.
    Thanks in advance

I am not a pro, but I switched to a water based flux upon the recomendation of my plumber 20 years ago. Today he mostly uses PEX and I still love that flux I bought 20 years ago. The silver based solders take more heat to flow but in both cases my observation is that once the right temperature is reached, good flow is the result of a clean joint and good flux.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by LuminosityVermont View Post
      I am replacing my solar storage tank and would like to hear suggestions for lead free solder brands that have good purity and flow action.
      What brand do you pros use?
      I have never had any problems with lead based solders but an old roll of Canfield lead free,Silver, Tin and Copper alloy I’ve tried does not flow to my liking.
      Thanks in advance
      In California we've been using lead-free for over twenty years now but all brands here seem to all work well enough Even the Oate brand from the local hardware store works well. The trick is to get the torch hot enough and heat your fitting from both sides switching half way through and watch for the copper to turn from a subtle pinkish color to a subtle brown. That's when its hot enough for these lead-free solders.

If you can't get your torch hot enough and you're using the small blue (or dark green) propane bottles, try using map gas in the yellow bottles.

Comment

I'm a pro and I use Bridgit by Harris.
        Flows really well, fills large gaps in the fitting, extremely strong, lead free, nickel silver content.
        I use it for HVAC and water lines. I've used it on 6" copper fittings where others failed! Extra large fittings are extremely difficult to solder because of the large gaps between the pipe and the fitting. I used to use it for refrigerant lines when R-22 was a commonly used refrigerant.
        Use Harris Bridgit water soluble flux.
        Last edited by LucMan; 03-26-2021, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Thank you all very much for your useful input.
          Swapped out my tanks this week successfully, no leaks !
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X