This is from Australia, anyone seen a comparable product available in the Americas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juakali10
    • Mar 2012

This is from Australia, anyone seen a comparable product available in the Americas ?

Finally, I have found what I am looking for but so far I am struggling to find it locally and want to avoid shipping costs from Australia !?! I reached out to the company in Oz but have not heard back so I though I might tap into the knowledge here to see if anyone knows of a comparable product and if they agree with me that it will work well for the warm climate of FL or the Caribbean. Thanks for your thoughts. Mark
    Attached Files
  • NEOH
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2010

Like this ?
    Sunbank Solar Hot Water - california ...

Comment

• juakali10
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by NEOH View Post
      Like this ?
      Sunbank Solar Hot Water - california ...
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-SR...r/143416272747
      Hey Neoh,
      Sort of like that product, but due to hurricanes (unless you guys think otherwise) I think I should steer clear of evacuated tubes. My panels will be on the roof and so there is less debris (Conch shells, pallets etc...) flying around at roof level but I think the standard solar flat plate collectors are more durable especially as we get so much sun here in the TCI that I don't really need the additional efficiency of an evacuated tube setup.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by juakali10 View Post

Hey Neoh,
        Sort of like that product, but due to hurricanes (unless you guys think otherwise) I think I should steer clear of evacuated tubes. My panels will be on the roof and so there is less debris (Conch shells, pallets etc...) flying around at roof level but I think the standard solar flat plate collectors are more durable especially as we get so much sun here in the TCI that I don't really need the additional efficiency of an evacuated tube setup.
        Id steer clear of evacuated tubes not only for wind considerations but also and most probably because they are more complicated than need be, making them more maintenance intensive and more prone to failure. They also cost a lot more than more appropriate technology.

FWIW, from looking at the website, I suspect the web site for those evac. tube units Neon Hydroxide posted are pretty sparse on details because they're junk.

Look, you need 60 C water temps. It's an application made for simple technology. Simple stuff costs less and fails less often.

Spending a lot and throwing complicated and inappropriate tech at what requires a simple(r) approach won't solve the problem.

Evacuated tubes can achieve much higher temps. and are often used in applications where process heat temps (>> 110 C or so are required). Using evacuated tube collectors for DHW applications such as yours is like using a Mercedes limo as a one task grocery hauler - and about as cost ineffective.

Getting/using equipment that can give you something you don't need is a waste, particularly if it requires more attention to keep it running right - or at all.

It'll also foul/crud up just as quickly if not more so than more appropriate technology.

Comment

Working...
        X