Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Help ! Looking for a Horizontal Stainless Steel Solar Tank about 80 Gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only use AET solar panels, HTP SuperStor Ultra water heaters, Grundfoss SS pumps, Titanium HX I have used Triangle tube , & Aqualogic. You may also be able to use DC pumps powered by PV panels. I don't have any recommendations on these because I have not used any, but they may fit your application.

Comment

Juakali10:

Sounds like your location is simply one with water quality challenges for residential potable water systems that use std. materials. Reality bites.

If so, continuing to use such materials reminds me of one, old definition of insanity: Doing the same things that don't work and expecting a different outcome.

If it was me - and it obviously ain't - I'd start as Lucman suggests and get the water tested to see what its chemistry might be, keeping in mind that the quality and content of the water, while probably somewhat constant, can and will vary.

Then, I'd go to the water company and suggest that they spend a few bucks on a consultant - not to recommend changes in their system(s) (sounds like, and looking at their website I'd bet, that won't happen), but for the purpose of having them suggest materials that residents might use to get better life out of a potable water system that has water going through it with the chemistry I just had tested.

If they balk, which I'd expect, I'd then do a little homework and find components for potable water systems that use the materials that, in my research, I found suitable.

I'd then get my water usage as low as possible with an emphasis on lowering my hot water load as much as possible through conservation measures such as low flow shower heads and faucets, and other measures to reduce water usage.

As an alternative to the research and all that, and still if it was me, I'd go with a plan B and instead build a breadbox water heater using info from the builditsolar.com site and one of the many old tanks you mention that occupy the landfill, and plan on replacing it every few years. Or, plan C: spend a lot of money on thermosiphon batch heaters as you've shown but with what are probably somewhat exotic and in any case probably expensive materials, and replace those solar devices every few years.

Either plan B or C will probably result in a reasonably fit for purpose solution. Neither one is a perfect solution. One is probably more cost effective than the other.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        Juakali10:

Sounds like your location is simply one with water quality challenges for residential potable water systems that use std. materials. Reality bites.

If so, continuing to use such materials reminds me of one, old definition of insanity: Doing the same things that don't work and expecting a different outcome.

If it was me - and it obviously ain't - I'd start as Lucman suggests and get the water tested to see what its chemistry might be, keeping in mind that the quality and content of the water, while probably somewhat constant, can and will vary.

Then, I'd go to the water company and suggest that they spend a few bucks on a consultant - not to recommend changes in their system(s) (sounds like, and looking at their website I'd bet, that won't happen), but for the purpose of having them suggest materials that residents might use to get better life out of a potable water system that has water going through it with the chemistry I just had tested.

If they balk, which I'd expect, I'd then do a little homework and find components for potable water systems that use the materials that, in my research, I found suitable.

I'd then get my water usage as low as possible with an emphasis on lowering my hot water load as much as possible through conservation measures such as low flow shower heads and faucets, and other measures to reduce water usage.

As an alternative to the research and all that, and still if it was me, I'd go with a plan B and instead build a breadbox water heater using info from the builditsolar.com site and one of the many old tanks you mention that occupy the landfill, and plan on replacing it every few years. Or, plan C: spend a lot of money on thermosiphon batch heaters as you've shown but with what are probably somewhat exotic and in any case probably expensive materials, and replace those solar devices every few years.

Either plan B or C will probably result in a reasonably fit for purpose solution. Neither one is a perfect solution. One is probably more cost effective than the other.

Good luck.
        JPM - thanks a lot for the advise - I'll proceed that way. . . the water company probably wont give me much help, but my next build will include a huge concrete water cistern under the house and I'll collect rain water (as we get a ton of rain) then I can hopefully avoid using mains water altogether !
        Cheers for your time and opinions, I'll let you know how progress goes. . .
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by juakali10 View Post

JPM - thanks a lot for the advise - I'll proceed that way. . . the water company probably wont give me much help, but my next build will include a huge concrete water cistern under the house and I'll collect rain water (as we get a ton of rain) then I can hopefully avoid using mains water altogether !
          Cheers for your time and opinions, I'll let you know how progress goes. . .
          Mark
          You are most welcome. See my latest to your other thread.

Respectful suggestion: Stick with appropriate technology as much as possible. Been there. Done that. Simpler is better.

Comment

Working...
          X