Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomjv
    • May 2017

Hot Water Baseboard

I've been wanting to set up a solar system to assist heating my garage. I'm in a typical ranch house with the garage under the bedrooms. I currently heat with a hot water Modine unit. I'd like to install a piece of cast iron on the wall and set up a closed loop.
    The garage is about 800sq ft.
    I've read here that people don't recommend water systems if the climate freezes. I don't understand that. First, my neighbor has had a system running for 40 years and he makes more hot water than he can use. Second, I figure I'll use non-toxic anti-freeze or similar.

Is this feasible?
    Should I build or buy?
    What size box/unit?
    Do I need a pump?
    What do I do in the summer?

TomJV
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

1.) Yes.
    2.) If you know HVAC and codes allow it, DIY. Otherwise, contract it. In either case be prepared for sticker shock.
    3.) Solar thermal collectors, (any) thermal storage and heat distribution schemes are sized to the heat load and characteristics including heating schedule and how warm you want to keep it. Don't forget to add the heat load parking cold vehicles will add to the winter heat load.
    4.)Probably.
    5.)Cover the collectors when not needed for extended periods and perhaps drain the system.

Get a book on solar heating design and start reading. Enjoy.

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

Regular hot water baseboard does not fit well with solar thermal as its designed for higher temperature hot water than a typical flat plate system can supply. European radiant heat emitters are a lot more compatible.

In general SHW is not a good match for heating as you usually have heat when you really don't need it.

Comment

Working...