X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian53713
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2016

Combination solar / gas water heater

I'm wondering if combinations solar-heated water /gas as a backup water heaters are very common? I already have a solar space heater, as a place to possibly attach the water heating Contraption over the top of? My researching it only came up with tankless water heaters.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I use a rooftop solar water heater, which preheats water for my tankless water heater. Reduces propane usage a lot. I can't imagine why it would not work for a tank style heater either, unless you feed it water that is too hot and trips the safeties .
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

If your fossil fuel source is natural gas, chances are it will not be cost effective to use solar energy to provide domestic hot water. Therefore the combination of solar water heating and gas is unusual at this time.

Comment

• Brian53713
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2016

My water heater is natural gas, and older. Is a normal natural gas water heater still the best replacement option ? 5 people utilizing, use spread out. We get by with a low heat setting.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
          I use a rooftop solar water heater, which preheats water for my tankless water heater. Reduces propane usage a lot. I can't imagine why it would not work for a tank style heater either, unless you feed it water that is too hot and trips the safeties .
          In many cases there will be more problems with a tankless "booster" than with a tank type booster, even when the preheat tank is cooler than the target temperature for the hot water.
          The biggest potential problem is that for low or moderate flow rates the tankless gas heater may not be able to throttle its flame down enough to keep the outlet temperature below the set point.
          Either the tankless will shut down completely or it will cycle on and off instead of modulating the flame.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Originally posted by inetdog

In many cases there will be more problems with a tankless "booster" than with a tank type booster, even when the preheat tank is cooler than the target temperature for the hot water.
            The biggest potential problem is that for low or moderate flow rates the tankless gas heater may not be able to throttle its flame down enough to keep the outlet temperature below the set point.
            Either the tankless will shut down completely or it will cycle on and off instead of modulating the flame.
            That's why my tankless booster has 3 burner settings, and a tempering inlet valve set for 120F input
            Google "caleffi thermostatic mixing valve #521"
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

That's why my tankless booster has 3 burner settings, and a tempering inlet valve set for 120F input
              Google "caleffi thermostatic mixing valve #521"
              That is where we differ in setup. I run my tankless at 120F output most of the time, so I do not have nearly as much headroom for the tankless to operate.
              A tempering valve on the output, OTOH, would not help at all with a tankless because you would still end up with an even lower flow rate through the tankless for a given delivery end flow.
              In some cases a small averaging tank on the output of the tankless might do the job.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Tempering valve is on the input. so I never exceed the thermostat setting. And the Eternal model has a large volume condenser, holds about 2 gallons so there is no sandwich or delay. I've also got a recirc pump, to have instant hot at the faucets, water is more valuable than propane.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Tempering valve is on the input. so I never exceed the thermostat setting. And the Eternal model has a large volume condenser, holds about 2 gallons so there is no sandwich or delay. I've also got a recirc pump, to have instant hot at the faucets, water is more valuable than propane.
                  Do you have a timer on the recirc. pump ?

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Yes, there is a timer, at night, it only runs 5 min per hr

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Yes, there is a timer, at night, it only runs 5 min per hr
                      Thank you.

Comment

Working...