250 gallon water tote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 gallon water tote

OK my water doesn't have to be hot. I just want to keep it from freezing. I want to use a 12 volt dc, stock tank type heater. Can I just use a small trickle charge solar panel that is used to keep a car battery from going dead in winter? This is so I can have water off grid in the winter. What size would I need? Thanks!
    Last edited by Harry Merkin; 04-25-2016, 08:29 PM.

If you just want to keep the water from freezing you would be far better off with a solar thermal panel system. A small solar panel sold as a battery maintainer just does not have enough power.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Never heard of it. I will Google. Thanks so much. Foes it go in the side or top?

Comment

best to build a in ground storage tank for winter water storage. Empty your tote into and no heater needed and you can even divert rain water and maybe eventually stop having to haul it at all.
        4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

Depends where you are and how well insulated the tank is. Lot to be said for burying it as ground temp a few feet below ground is usually a lot warmer than the air temp.

Comment

I am currently using this method but circumstances permit it stays above ground. I am going to get some thick roxul insulation to wrap it. Next I am trying to figure out the proper wattage of 12/24 volt element to run in my actual water heating tank to keep a good temp. I already see how I need an independent array for this

Comment

Working...
            X