Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ric_barline
    • Mar 2016

Need to replace diff temp controller

Hi. My old 1970's solar solar circulating pump controller just went up in flames. This triac-based unit turns on a 3/4 hp circulating pump when the flat panel collector is warmer than the tank water and it also has a max temp setting potentiometer. The sensors (already installed in both tank and collector of roof) are 2-wire transistor types (not thermistors) and give a forward voltage drop as a function of temperature. I am having a hard time finding a replacement for my dead controller. I can find many differential temp controllers on the market but they all use thermistor-type sensors and I don't really want to have to replace the sensors if possible. Any suggestions? Attached is a photo of my old one. Thanks so much.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
  • LucMan
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2010

All controllers are thermister based today.

Comment

• ric_barline
      • Mar 2016

OK, thanks. I guess I'll need to replace my existing ones. Not a problem.

Comment

• Amy@altE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Your sensors are probably ready to die now anyways, replace everything while you are working on it and get a modern DTC.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

• ric_barline
          • Mar 2016

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ric_barline
            Hi. My old 1970's solar solar circulating pump controller just went up in flames. This triac-based unit turns on a 3/4 hp circulating pump when the flat panel collector is warmer than the tank water and it also has a max temp setting potentiometer. The sensors (already installed in both tank and collector of roof) are 2-wire transistor types (not thermistors) and give a forward voltage drop as a function of temperature. I am having a hard time finding a replacement for my dead controller. I can find many differential temp controllers on the market but they all use thermistor-type sensors and I don't really want to have to replace the sensors if possible. Any suggestions? Attached is a photo of my old one.
            Perhaps your sensors are LM34 or LM35? A nice linear part; can easily be amplified to drive a temp display (voltmeter). I have a design for one
            that is used to circulate fixture water the length of the house. It drives a 12V pump, but it could drive a relay to a big motor.

Or fix your old one. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...