Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Water by Solar Electric direct via MPPT ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TurkeyBob View Post
    One of my friends is a retired plumber who loves my idea. His own daughter got screwed by some company selling water heating systems, paying several times what he could have done it for. This is an industry that should be thriving. Instead, the crooks are dooming it to failure.
    DIY is great if someone is capable of completing the work required.
    Most of the time homeowners or non professionals are not skilled enough in the construction trades to install a safe and reliable system on thier own. It is to their advantage to hire a contractor.
    Contractors need to pay their workers, provide insurance, and have many other expenses that a DIY would not have, increasing the cost of the install.
    Maybe you should go out and volunteer your services to install solar for other people in your area to help the solar industry thrive!

Comment

I have been heating water with a 24 volt 900watt element in my cylinder. Once the battery bank is charged the charge controller reaches 100% SOC and it's auxiliary relay switches a solid state relay which connects the bank to the element .this worked very well but I found the charge controller was reporting incorrectly when the batteries were changed therefore they were being undercharged. With some tweaking it would work fine. Efficiency doesn't really come into it once your batteries are charged. We did had to light our fire at least once a week to give the how water an extra boost and kill any germs.
      Last edited by asdex; 08-08-2018, 12:40 AM.

Comment

I have a home made version of this.

https://www.ebay.com/i/272088626625?...3D272088626625

that's all you need. use the panels for something more productive.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSmokey View Post
          I have a home made version of this.

https://www.ebay.com/i/272088626625?...3D272088626625

that's all you need. use the panels for something more productive.
          On the basis of providing energy to heat water, solar thermal is probably more productive on a per m^2 collector or array area by something like a factor of 2 or so, but the PV option by itself will most likely work out less expensive per unit of energy delivered per unit of money invested and for a lot less maint., even before accounting for required freeze protection in most climates.

In fairly mild climates, PV used in conjunction with a heat pump water heater will most likely be at least as, or more cost effective than simple flat plate solar thermal, and hands down more cost effective than evacuated tubes which are overkill for the task of DHW.

Comment

Originally posted by asdex
            I have been heating water with a 24 volt 900watt element in my cylinder. Once the battery bank is charged the charge controller reaches 100% SOC and it's auxiliary relay switches a solid state relay which connects the bank to the element

Efficiency doesn't really come into it once your batteries are charged. We did had to light our fire at
            least once a week to give the hot water an extra boost and kill any germs.
            I would check just how far from the panel MPPT voltage this setup runs. There might yet be room
            for much improvement and less lighting fires. For example if the voltage is way low, you could install
            another selected element which is a better match, might be in series with the panel connection
            to the existing element. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
            X