• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Sizing a system

For information on sizing a solar DHW system

Home Power has a great article published a couple of years back.

Quote, 'While most people are captivated by the high-tech nature of solar-electric (photovoltaic; PV) systems, in most cases, a solar hot water system will harvest more energy at a substantially lower cost. In fact, compared to PVs, solar domestic hot water (SDHW) collectors are more than three times as efficient at producing energy from the sun.'

This month I am having to use the electric backup on my hot water system most days - plenty of clouds. Most likely I will be able to turn of power to the heating element sometime in March - when the daily insolation levels exceed 2 kW/m2/day.

In a new build a person is missing a real opportunity is they don't max out on passive solar and the such. Electric costs will rise - one of the things we can feel assured of.

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • netttech
    • Dec 2009

I can sympathize with you Russ, very little sunshine for weeks. Last Sunday I got 1 whole hour of bright sunny sky. It was the 1st time I got to see my parabolic panel during a sunny period. I never got any real data from the panel during that time though.

Oh well, tonight I completed the plumbing for the back-up wood burner boiler. I didn't have enough time to build a fire to test it though.

Jeff
    [url="http://solarpaneltalk.com/album.php?u=2072"]First panel 40 volts, 140+ watts[/url]

Comment

• Jbergess
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by russ

In a new build a person is missing a real opportunity is they don't max out on passive solar and the such. Electric costs will rise - one of the things we can feel assured of.

Russ
      So true! The addition of a $3500 SHW system to a 200,000$ or 300,000$ loan for new construction is a monthly payment increase of maybe a dollar or two. However, the household can save $70 - $100 per month - if not more - by generating free hot water. Definitely a good investment for all new construction homes.
      Please read the Forum Rules before you post. If you want to advertise, send a message to Jason.

Comment

• JeremyMC
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by russ
        For information on sizing a solar DHW system

Nice article! I like the bit in this article on "Maximizing Efficiency". It's all about wrapping that tank. So many times the tank insulation blanket gets neglected and forgotten about, and it's a very easy and effective means of saving even more energy. Every bit counts, right?

Here's another simple resource for sizing your system: http://simpledrainback.com/NewFiles/sizing.html

Comment

Working...