Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily regime of solar controller during vacations

Hello.
    I am interested in solar hot water temperature differential controller's regime of work during holidays.

I've read that if holiday lasts up to 3 days, it is recommended to keep the regime the same as on working day (pumps working during the day; pumps turned off during the night).

However, during holidays longer than 3 days when controllers are switched to "vacation" mode, they turn on the pumps during night and "send" the hot water from the storage tank to collectors, in order to convective cool the water.

What about during the day (on holidays)? Do pumps still work normally during the day, and circulate the water through the system, even though there is no hot water consumption?

My question is directed towards non-drainback systems, and systems where collectors can not be covered (with sheets...) during holidays.

Thank you for the reply.

Originally posted by bernard View Post
    Hello.
    I am interested in solar hot water temperature differential controller's regime of work during holidays.

I've read that if holiday lasts up to 3 days, it is recommended to keep the regime the same as on working day (pumps working during the day; pumps turned off during the night).

However, during holidays longer than 3 days when controllers are switched to "vacation" mode, they turn on the pumps during night and "send" the hot water from the storage tank to collectors, in order to convective cool the water.

What about during the day (on holidays)? Do pumps still work normally during the day, and circulate the water through the system, even though there is no hot water consumption?

My question is directed towards non-drainback systems, and systems where collectors can not be covered (with sheets...) during holidays.

Thank you for the reply.
    The vacation mode allows the pump to cool the HW in the tank at night, then during the day the system operates normally, to prevent stagnation temps.

Comment

Thank you LucMan.

Let me see if I understood it correctly:

During the day:
      Regardless of whether there is, or there isn't hot water consumption (family is on vacation), the pumps will always work.

During the night:
      The pumps will not work, unless controller is set to "vacation".

Did I understand that correctly?

Comment

Thank you LucMan.

Let me see if I understood it correctly:

During the day:
        Regardless of whether there is, or there isn't hot water consumption (family is on vacation), the pumps will always work.

During the night:
        The pumps will not work, unless controller is set to "vacation".

Did I understand that correctly?
        That is correct.

Comment

Thank you LucMan (sadly, there's no "thanks" button on this forum).

I am curious to know: is it possible that it is more cheaper to run the circulation pumps every day and sometimes by night for two months (e.g. family is on a vacation for two months), then turn off the pumps and let the whole system stagnate?

Comment

Thank you LucMan (sadly, there's no "thanks" button on this forum).

I am curious to know: is it possible that it is more cheaper to run the circulation pumps every day and sometimes by night for two months (e.g. family is on a vacation for two months), then turn off the pumps and let the whole system stagnate?
            You do not want your system to stagnate for 2 months, your power consumption should be very low, 20 cents per day.
            Stagnating for 2 months would breakdown the glycol and that would require replacing it at substantial cost.

Comment

Thank you LucMan

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
              your power consumption should be very low, 20 cents per day.
              This is electricity costs of two circulation pumps in a regular residential swh system?

Comment

Working...
              X