Diy htxr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diy htxr

Guess newbies need to learn a lot. My site is at 35 29' 08.18 N 82 49' 25.86 W and I have good south exposure w/good 6 hr sun in dead of winter. The closed loop pump is PV powered w/ Goldline diff. controler and pushing up to 10-12 gpm appx. The htxr that is out of commission had about 75-80 sq. ft. of surface area and is a tube fin unit. There is four 3/4 inch tubes w/ 8- 3 inch wide fins 8 ft. long on each tube. This unit was used in cryogenic systems ie super cold gasses Argon, helium, oxygen thus no btu rating. I use the heated h20 for infloor heating and dhw. The panel loop does have 50/50 prop.glycol and 15-17 gal fluid total. Not sure what else to add except thanks for any direction in solving my need J. P. M..

Originally posted by RegSass View Post
    Guess newbies need to learn a lot. My site is at 35 29' 08.18 N 82 49' 25.86 W and I have good south exposure w/good 6 hr sun in dead of winter. The closed loop pump is PV powered w/ Goldline diff. controler and pushing up to 10-12 gpm appx. The htxr that is out of commission had about 75-80 sq. ft. of surface area and is a tube fin unit. There is four 3/4 inch tubes w/ 8- 3 inch wide fins 8 ft. long on each tube. This unit was used in cryogenic systems ie super cold gasses Argon, helium, oxygen thus no btu rating. I use the heated h20 for infloor heating and dhw. The panel loop does have 50/50 prop.glycol and 15-17 gal fluid total. Not sure what else to add except thanks for any direction in solving my need J. P. M..
    I'm not sure I understand what type of setup you're describing. Were you using the cryogenic HX as a type of solar collector ? Or using solar flat plate collectors for heating the glycol and then somehow using the cryogenic HX to transfer the heat from the glycol to something else ? Or ?

I'm pretty sure the HX you describe is of a type that's often generically called an atmospheric vaporizer. Many applications for gas plants - Praxair, Air Products, etc. Smaller ones such as you had are often found on liquid N2, or O2 tankers to partially pressurize the tank for deliveries of product as required. The heat transfer between the fin and the tube is rather poor because the fins are usually sort of press fit/clamped to the tube, holding costs down.. That poor heat transfer is compensated for by having 8 fins to increase the heat transfer area and take heat from the relatively warmer atmosphere (almost always by natural convection) and vaporize the liquid on the tubeside which is usually a lot colder. There is not usually a duty rating (in BTU) as such for such applications beyond enthalpy considerations to effect a change in the specific vol. of the tubeside fluid (N2,O2, AR, etc.) necessary as f(time) to push the liquid product into a different tank or somewhere else for use.

Comment

Working...
    X