Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expected Temperature of HTF

Hello,

I just recently bought a house and am trying to get familiar with the installed equipment. The previous owner had an active SWH installed and I am wondering what the expected temperature of the heat transfer fluid should be. I live in Florida and even when the sun is out and outside temperatures are around 90°F, I never see the HTF be hotter than 99°F (according to the control panel). I am new to the topic but that is a lot cooler than I would expect. Any ideas?

I also have a SWH and the water temp setting can be adjusted to 140 F.

If I were you I would have someone come out and inspect the system. Hard water will clog up the solar collector, tank and pipes which will work towards a less efficient and hard working system.

Comment

What is the temperature of the DHW tank or your solar preheat tank when the HTF temp at the outlet of the collector is 90F?
      A much better measure of the operating status of the solar thermal panel is the difference between inlet and outlet temperature.
      If the tank is sitting at 80F (not getting much solar heating benefit) then it would not be unreasonable for the panel output to be only 90F.
      But, just as for pool heating, a small temperature differential can lead to a high temperature rise as the inlet temperature keeps on rising, taking the outlet temperature along with it.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

With the sun hitting the panels at your solar noon the temp of the HTF should be 10-20 degrees higher than the domestic HW tank.
        That temperature can change with the flow rate of the HTF through the collectors, number of collectors, cloud cover, and the seasonal angle of the sun hitting the collectors.
        This time of year the HTF should be hitting 140+ degrees on a properly functioning system.

Comment

Working...
        X