Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall piping length in swh systems

There is one thing that I am curious of:
    What are some rule of a thumb, or approximate overall pipe run length in residential swh systems?

I know it may be difficult to answer this question, as it depends on a lot of factors: whether or not a swh system's storage is right next to the collector (ICS, thermosyphon), or located in the basement.
    I also understand that it depends on the number of floors, position of a collector (on the roof, on the ground) and some other factors too.

But for example what are some approximate values of piping lengths for ground floor + one/two floor houses with collectors on the roof, and storage tank in the basement or ground floor?
    50 feet? 100 feet?
    Can it be said for example: if your storage tank is located on the lowest floor, and collectors are on the roof then add the 20 feet of pipe length run (overall in both directions) per each story. Then add another 10 feet for the pipes on the roof.
    Of course this is an assumption based on a straight shot, from the storage to the collectors.

Just to clarify: I am not interested in losses of energy due to piping, nor in pipe diameters. I am just interested in the total pipe run length.

Thank you for the reply, and I apologize if it is difficult to answer this question.

bump
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Unless its drainback system it really doesn't matter as long as you keep friction loss in mind. If the friction loss exceeds the pump curve then you either need a new pump or go with larger diameter pipe. I probably have 60 feet in my loop which I piped up in 3/4" and during three seasons the DC pump has too much capacity so I get a lot of noise. Once the weather cools down and the glycol viscosity goes up it quiets right down and eventually it stops flowing as the head loss exceeds the pumps capacity. One of those slick new electronic commutated pumps with a built in flow control might work real slick for a AC system but my DC system is far too primitive, just a solar panel a pump and a on off controller that runs the pump when the panels are warmer than the tank.

Comment

Thank you peakbagger.

How many stories do you have? Basement and ground floor?
        Where is the storage tank located? In the basement or ground floor (that's first floor in US I imagine). Are your collectors located on the roof?

Comment

We had an apartment building that was 3 stories tall. The furnaces for all units were in the basement. I had to replace the baseboard heating loops for all apartments. Apartments on the third floor were harder to pump water up into their loop, at the first, and for chasing the air bubbles out.

But once the loop was done, all the air bubbles were gone, and it was circulating, the circulating pump itself works no harder on the third floor units than they do for the second floor or first floor units.

For every foot of rise there is an equal foot of fall. It is a closed loop.

You can make a closed loop that is totally flat horizontal, and another loop that in the middle has to go up 40 foot and back done again. If both of these loops are the same length, diameter, and neither have any sharp bends, than resistance to flow will be the same.
          4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Originally posted by organic farmer View Post
            We had an apartment building that was 3 stories tall. The furnaces for all units were in the basement. I had to replace the baseboard heating loops for all apartments. Apartments on the third floor were harder to pump water up into their loop, at the first, and for chasing the air bubbles out.

But once the loop was done, all the air bubbles were gone, and it was circulating, the circulating pump itself works no harder on the third floor units than they do for the second floor or first floor units.

For every foot of rise there is an equal foot of fall. It is a closed loop.

You can make a closed loop that is totally flat horizontal, and another loop that in the middle has to go up 40 foot and back done again. If both of these loops are the same length, diameter, and neither have any sharp bends, than resistance to flow will be the same.
            The above is true.
            Height only matters in an open loop or drain back system where there is no counter balancing effect of the fluid coming down the pipes offsets the rise.
            And every system is different.
            What you are concerned anout is flow or static head which is the friction caused ny elbows and length of pipe run.
            Last edited by Naptown; 09-17-2015, 09:38 PM. Reason: Typo
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Thank you for the replies both organic farmer, Naptown.

Originally posted by organic farmer
              We had an apartment building that was 3 stories tall. The furnaces for all units were in the basement...
              What is the total pipe length run in your solar loop?

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
              What you are concerned anout is flow or static head which is the friction caused ny elbows and length of pipe run.
              I am not concerned about anything. Piping losses, size of the pump, pump consumption, flow rate, pipe diameters, insulation size, elbows etc. None of that.

I just wanted to know what is the total length run of your solar loop, supplied with information of number of stories.

Again, I understand every system is different, and it may also depend on the disposition of the pipes vertically (straight run from the tank to collectors or not), but there has to be some approximate rule of a thumb by which one can say approximately:
              "three story building has a storage tank in the basement, collectors on a roof, I would say that your total pipe length run could be something like:"
              4 stories (plus basement) * 20 feet ≈ 80 feet.

In reality the total pipe length run may be 60, or 100 feet, but I again it is still close enough to 80.

This is what I want to know.
              I know there is not such formula, but based on a real life experiences of you solar how water experienced users, can it be derived approximately?

Thank you.

Comment

Yes with a ruler
                NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

How many stories do you have? Basement and ground floor?
                  Where is the storage tank located? In the basement or ground floor (that's first floor in US I imagine). Are your collectors located on the roof?

My tank is in my basement, it uses a coil wrapped around a standard hot water tank (under the insulation jacket) rather than a heat exchanger. I have two parallel pipe runs the are vertical for two stories which is about 36 feet and then I have two unequal length horizontal runs in my attic to line up with the inlet and outlet of the SHW system on the pitched roof and then two unequal length vertical runs to get up to the inlet and outlet. I would guess around 70 feet total.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
                    My tank is in my basement ... two parallel pipe runs the are vertical for two stories ... two unequal length horizontal runs in my attic ...
                    Thank you peakbagger.
                    So just to see if I understood you correctly:

you have a basement, ground floor, first floor and an attic?

Comment

One last time, the tank is in the basement, it runs through a first floor (which may be your ground floor) and then a second floor then into an attic where it then goes horizontal to line up with the collector connections and then vertical up through the attic and then up thru the roof to the slanted collectors.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

"There is one thing that I am curious of:
                          What are some rule of a thumb, or approximate overall pipe run length in residential swh systems?

I know it may be difficult to answer this question, as it depends on a lot of factors: whether or not a swh system's storage is right next to the collector (ICS, Thermo syphon), or located in the basement.
                          I also understand that it depends on the number of floors, position of a collector (on the roof, on the ground) and some other factors too.

But for example, what are some approximate values of piping lengths for ground floor + one/two floor houses with collectors on the roof, and storage tank in the basement or ground floor?
                          50 feet? 100 feet?
                          Can it be said for example: if your storage tank is located on the lowest floor, and collectors are on the roof then add the 20 feet of pipe length run (overall in both directions) per each story. Then add another 10 feet for the pipes on the roof.
                          Of course, this is an assumption based on a straight shot, from the storage to the collectors.

Just to clarify: I am not interested in losses of energy due to piping, nor in pipe diameters. I am just interested in the total pipe run length.

Thank you for the reply, and I apologize if it is difficult to answer this question."

MOD NOTE. If you have something to say then please make an "original" post. Do not just copy and paste and existing one.
                          Last edited by SunEagle; 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM. Reason: added mod note

Comment

Thank you saniconenergy.

But there's no reply, it's just my initial starting reply copied.

Comment

Sorry for copying the question by mistake

Considering that it's and 1000 sq yds residence & in ideal conditions the maximum distance for two-floor house, between Solar & last bathroom should be approximately 100 feet!

Comment

Working...
                              X