looking to heat water trough in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to heat water trough in winter

I am trying to find a way to heatmy 150 gallon water trough in the winter. Currently I run 1500 watt electric heaters, but this gets crazy expensive. Temps go down to -30's C in winter. Any suggestions.

I know of a place that has a 5,000 gallon tank supplying fire-sprinklers, inside a shed where the Southern exterior wall is Passive Solar.

Clear plexi over black roofing sheet metal, with the ribs running vertical. The rib 'air ducts' open to the interior of the building, both at the top and at the bottom. Maybe 20 foot wide and 8 foot tall.

They say it keep the water tank from freezing.

It is in Unity, Maine.

-20F is pretty common in this area.
    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinnagirl View Post
      I am trying to find a way to heatmy 150 gallon water trough in the winter. Currently I run 1500 watt electric heaters, but this gets crazy expensive. Temps go down to -30's C in winter. Any suggestions.
      Water trough that's outside for livestock?

If it's next to a building, that would help keep wind off it - since wind will evaporate water, and evaporating water cools the remaining water.
      Being next to a building would also help because there would be a thermal mass that would help keep the surroundings from getting as cold as quickly at night.
      If it's currently a metal trough, I'd try a black plastic one - esp. if it's where it can catch some sunlight.
      And you can try moving the water - a small pump may move the water in one area enough to keep it from getting frozen over - letting the livestock drink, even if half of it does get a layer of ice.
      Alternatively - a shed where the cattle are (gather them together == body heat) and some automatic waterers (which keeps the water supply underground below the frost line so it isn't freezing)

Comment

Working...
      X