Don't think solar system is operating as it should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    I spent most of the first 45 years of my life living/working in upstate NY. I think I understand some of your predicament. Mine was similar. I solved it. You have my sympathies if you want them, especially in the winter.

FWIW, I've found the regulatory, In Loco Parentis attitude to be of about the same intensity and intent in either state. I think the OP's in NV - where, I suspect, they don't regulate too terribly much beyond gambling & prostitution. My post was simply to suggest that a decent, fit for purpose SDHWS doesn't need to cost as much as a small/med. size PV system. $ 6,500 ? - probably not, but $15K ? - probably can be beat in many areas. No insult/argument/ill will intended.
    I wish your sympathy would help.
    As I sit here typing this the temp is 12 F with the wind gusting to 30 mph. The forcast is for -4F tonight with winds to 50 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
      As I sit here typing this the temp is 12 F with the wind gusting to 30 mph. The forcast is for -4F tonight with winds to 50 mph.
      After some reflection, had I used empathy, it would have been more a more apt word choice than sympathy. Either way, the middle of Feb. was sort of the half way point of the winter campaign as I seem to remember. Hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
        Not our problem on the west coast. Was over 70 yesterday and in shorts and flip flops when we should be skiing. Quick note on the temp, I did turn my system on yesterday due to the extremely high temp and my system did end up flowing around 130 degrees for a while in the peak of the day but it fell off quick to around 110 after all the built up heat in the panels got purged.

Plumber coming to day so hopefully will have a plan.

Comment

So it has been awhile for me getting this project done but I ended up going with 2 4x8 Heliodyne panels and did the install with the help of my plumber who has been awesome helping us get this project as well as a new boiler and hot water tank for our radiant floor heating.

So my experience with this company has been a real struggle on the customer service side of my purchase but will say that they do seem to have a good quality product and my system is running awesome and I could not be happier with the outcome. So my issue with this company is their lack of caring about the customer after the purchase.

What happened is I purchased these panels and they were delivered to my house with NO directions on handling or storage. They came on a very large pallet (That they charged me over $200 I think) and were covered with cardboard and held to the pallet with steel straps. I could not get to installing them for two weeks and it rained in that time. On the day we were to install I pull off the cover and see the following under the glass (photo 1). So after seeing this my plumber and I discussed it and I did not feel comfortable installing it so we installed the good one. After over a month of phone calls and emails to the customer service rep she pretty much told me to go pack sand and use it. During this time another spot showed up with NO other rain (see photo 2). Both of these water condensation spots caused discoloration on the specially coated aluminum sheet under the glass. My complaint to the company was that I paid for a brand new product and was not given one. They told me it would work just fine and just install it.

Well if you bought a new Porsche and it came with a huge scratch on the hood but the dealer told you it was still fast and worked just fine, would you take it? These were not cheap and I was pretty miffed at not getting a "new" condition product. So I ended up e-mailing the main salesman and he actually came to my house and looked at the panel. During this visit he tells me that the panels should of been covered with plastic by the people who dropped them off at my house, well they did not and I end up having to pay for this mistake. Now all this has taken over a month and put my project off as well as taking up hours of time of my plumber that is costing ME money. He is a nice guy and addresses my issues and we remove the glass and he tried to clean the specially coated aluminum piece but it is totally stained. In the end we end up installing it as he says they will make it right. Well making it right was giving us free glycol (total joke). They also said they would extend the warranty but I felt I still did not get a new product and found out just a week ago that they ended up firing the customer service rep.

Just like I stated at the start I am pleased with the product and feel it is a quality piece but the I would expect more customer service from an American company who says they stand behind their product. Just my opinion.

I have included a pic of the finished product.

Comment

Howdy FED565, welcome back Thanks for chiming in with the update to your system, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by FED565 View Post
              So it has been awhile for me getting this project done but I ended up going with 2 4x8 Heliodyne panels and did the install with the help of my plumber who has been awesome helping us get this project as well as a new boiler and hot water tank for our radiant floor heating.

So my experience with this company has been a real struggle on the customer service side of my purchase but will say that they do seem to have a good quality product and my system is running awesome and I could not be happier with the outcome. So my issue with this company is their lack of caring about the customer after the purchase.

What happened is I purchased these panels and they were delivered to my house with NO directions on handling or storage. They came on a very large pallet (That they charged me over $200 I think) and were covered with cardboard and held to the pallet with steel straps. I could not get to installing them for two weeks and it rained in that time. On the day we were to install I pull off the cover and see the following under the glass (photo 1). So after seeing this my plumber and I discussed it and I did not feel comfortable installing it so we installed the good one. After over a month of phone calls and emails to the customer service rep she pretty much told me to go pack sand and use it. During this time another spot showed up with NO other rain (see photo 2). Both of these water condensation spots caused discoloration on the specially coated aluminum sheet under the glass. My complaint to the company was that I paid for a brand new product and was not given one. They told me it would work just fine and just install it.
              I am not familiar with the Heliodyne flat plates, but the brands that I have installed will collect condensation during a no sun condition. Once the sun hits the panels the condensation evaporates and is eliminated through the vent holes in the panels. It is not a problem and does not effect the performance of the panel.
              Moisture enters those same vent holes over night and during cold overcast days.
              I did have a set of panels that the manufacturer sourced the shipping strip under the collector from a new supplier that used a different formulation in the rubber. The high temperatures broke down the shipping strip and the gasses created condensed on the inside of the glazing after a year. The large brown stain did not effect the performance of the panel, but labor for the removal of the stain was covered under warranty.

Comment

I solved this problem with a temperature differential controller. E-bay has 110volt and low voltage units that will eliminate your heating the great outdoors.
                4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

Working...
                X