Simple and easy solar pool heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple and easy solar pool heater

Our family extends the seasonal use of our back yard pool by about 2.5 months using a simple DIY solar heater, and the use of a commercial solar blanket.

I made a 8x4 treated plywood frame and screwed a corrugated aluminum panel ontop. I set the frame out in the yard where it gets plenty of sun and made short legs to keep it up off the ground. ($10 lumberyard items)

I ran a water connection of 1/2" PVC pipe from the high pressure end of my pool pump to an old washing machine Hot/Cold solonoid valve I had laying around.

I have 400 feet of regular black garden hose connected to that washing machine valve, and the hose is neatly coiled on that 8x4 platform I made to soak the heat from the sun.

The other end of the hose feeds trickling VERY hot water back into the pool.

The washing machine valve is on a timer so it shuts off when the sun's output isn't enough to make a difference. (At night, or early/late in the day according to season).

I check the system every couple weeks at the beginning and ending of the season to adjust the valve timer if needed.
    The system acts as a radiator if it is used at night and pours very cold water back into the pool so the flow has to be shut off at night.

If you normally shut your pump off with a timer at night then you won't need the valve.

Total initial cost was around $60 and we've been using it for about 6 years now. I can't imagine not using one with a pool, it's been very effective.

Great idea. Simple. But it looses a lot of heat in the very hot water at the outlet. If you increase the flow, the total BTU collected is MORE, because the water is not so hot that it radiates away the heat (which you discovered it does at night) The water might only be a few degrees warmer, but the flow is much greater.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

As we all know heating of water (especially in swimming pools) with the electricity can be a very costly affair, and sometimes not even safe as it can give electric shocks in water. And a very effective solution to overcome this problem is solar water heaters, as they are energy efficient, requires low maintenance and are safe at the same time.
      Last edited by russ; 05-28-2011, 01:51 PM. Reason: removed link

Comment

cool

now all I have to get is a pool!

Comment

We have new electric meters that will eventually force us to run the pump for the filter early in the morning or late in the after noon. This is because of power demand is the highest during the day, and they will eventually charge us more for daytime electricity. So this will not work for me. I would have to get a smaller pump and run it off some solar panels or plug it in during the daytime.

Comment

Cool idea. I like your idea to make solar pool heater. It's really a simple way to get solar pool heater.

Mod note - forget the links or you will be banned
            Last edited by russ; 05-18-2012, 02:41 AM. Reason: removed link
            Mod note - links not allowed in new user sigs

Comment

Originally posted by pmaru77 View Post
              We have new electric meters that will eventually force us to run the pump for the filter early in the morning or late in the after noon. This is because of power demand is the highest during the day, and they will eventually charge us more for daytime electricity. So this will not work for me. I would have to get a smaller pump and run it off some solar panels or plug it in during the daytime.
              When I was experimenting building the solar heater I originally did not tap into my main pump line.

I had a small cheap water pump from a vinyl kids pool during my first experiments. I dropped an input line into the pool, siphoned air out of the line for gravity feed and connected it to the input of the tiny pump.

I connected about 200 feet of black garden hose to the output and laid it out in the grass where it received sun all day long. The tiny pump was not powerful to push water more than the 200 feet and back into the pool, but the trickle was very hot.

It eventually made more sense to eliminate the 2nd pump so I tapped into the high side of the existing one, built the platform for the collection coil of hose and extended its length.

If you can find one of those small portable pool pumps, I guess they're probably 1/20th HP (or so) which would make it more economical than running your main pump in peak hours.

Me?
              Our family decided to dismantle our pool for cost reasons about 2 years ago. Upkeep maintenance, chemicals and power was too hard on the budget.

Comment

Right off the bat, it's solitary sun powered pool covers that warm water. Other pool covers, for example, warm and inflexible spreads hold warm yet don't in reality warm the water. Here's the means by which a sun oriented pool cover keeps your water hotter.
                Sun based Heaters for over the ground pools can accomplish indistinguishable sort of warming force from other warmer sorts, yet without making hurt the pool. Over the ground pools can be effectively and securely warmed utilizing a mix of a Solar Heater and a Solar Cover, holding your expenses down and your family in the pool.

Comment

> holding your expenses down and your family in the pool.

I've always wanted to hold the neighbors down in the pool
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by seeting83 View Post
                    Right off the bat, it's solitary sun powered pool covers that warm water. Other pool covers, for example, warm and inflexible spreads hold warm yet don't in reality warm the water. Here's the means by which a sun oriented pool cover keeps your water hotter.
                    Sun based Heaters for over the ground pools can accomplish indistinguishable sort of warming force from other warmer sorts, yet without making hurt the pool. Over the ground pools can be effectively and securely warmed utilizing a mix of a Solar Heater and a Solar Cover, holding your expenses down and your family in the pool.
                    Is this a plug for something or is there a question in there somewhere ?

FWIW, an opaque and dark colored pool cover will not only slow down heat loss from any pool, but will also warm the pool water. Had one and used it for many years. Worked like a champ. Details on request.

Comment

Working...
                    X