Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • summerfun
    • May 2011

Pool Solar problem

I live on LI, NY and had a Heliocol HC50 collectors installed last June 2010 by Sunshine Solar Technologies. It worked great heating my 12'X24' IG pool. The pool was closed in Oct. and the collectors were blown out for the winter. Upon readying for the pool opening this year (April 2011) I noticed that the collectors on the roof were damaged and chewed, rendering them unusable. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The installer hasn't gotten back to me as to his findings or a solution.
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Squirrel damage?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• summerfun
      • May 2011

seems to be the general consensus.....how do I stop them? Or will this be an ongoing problem?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by summerfun
        seems to be the general consensus.....how do I stop them? Or will this be an ongoing problem?
        If the pipes are anything other than metal it will. Tree rats are one of the most destructive animals on the planet for home owners. They have burned down a lot of homes.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Screen covers for exposed parts they like and metal conduit for any cables.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• summerfun
            • May 2011

002 (640x480).jpg[
            The installation company blew the system out in Oct for the winter. This is what I found in April 2011.

Comment

• Naptown
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

Looks like freezing damage to me
              that configuration is almost impossible to get all the water out and should never have been installed that there is even a remote chance that water could be left in the collectors. They can be blown out all you want but once a few tubes clear out the air will tend to blow through the clear tubes as the static pressure is lower and bypass the full tubes as the static pressure is higher.
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• summerfun
                • May 2011

Just to give you an update.....
                The Solar installer finally contacted me after 33 days and a nudge from the BBB. They will replace, reconfigure, etc at a cost to me of $650 (originally he wanted $950). Remember this install is not even a year old and under warranty!
                What do you think? I say NO WAY!

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by summerfun
                  Just to give you an update.....
                  The Solar installer finally contacted me after 33 days and a nudge from the BBB. They will replace, reconfigure, etc at a cost to me of $650 (originally he wanted $950). Remember this install is not even a year old and under warranty!
                  What do you think? I say NO WAY!
                  I say you are going to have cold water then. How much will a lawyer cost you? Was the installer a contractor (with a license) - talk to the State Board about them...
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• summerfun
                    • May 2011

I have seen a lawyer and was advised to go to small claims court. The company that installed the solar is certified by the manufacture and BBB accredited. I also plan on going to Consumer Affairs with a complaint for not honoring the warranty.
                    Last edited by summerfun; 06-15-2011, 06:59 PM. Reason: reword

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Sue for the full cost of the original install, as it's currently 100% useless, and that is the amount you are out. Generally, you can only collect for actuals, not loss of the pool this season, or time and suffering, only the cash that has left your pocket.

And after they company is served, don't let them talk your out of the claim, wait till they completed the work, and installed the V's so they will drain ^ with a drain cock at each manifold. After it's fixed, then cancel the suit, not before. Lawyer should have advised you of all the small claims rules, and expense caps.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• summerfun
                        • May 2011

Thank you everyone for your help and support. I am going to Small Claims with this one and I think I have enough info to win. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• summerfun
                          • May 2011

Just to give you an update: We came to a compromise only because I wanted to get this behind me and get into the pool. I agreed to pay $500 for them to replace ALL the panels and reposition them to another part of the roof. The Northeast Distributor got involved, offered to put $ (as a good will gesture) towards the installers fee. I have since taken precautions with screening so as not to have this happen again. We are keeping our fingers crossed for next year.
                          We love having the warm water especially in the afternoons/evenings when the pool is shaded. Here's to another extended pool season.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Glad to hear you are reasonably happy with the resolution and hope it works out wonderful!

Russ
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• CarrieTaylor
                              • Sep 2011

The vacuum breaker closes under pressure and opens under vacuum. This allows the panels to drain when there is no water flow. If the vacuum breaker valve does not open fully, it can make a noise like you are describing.
                              Last edited by russ; 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM. Reason: removed link
                              Carrie.T
                              [url=http://www.solar-panels-power-energy.com]Solar Energy[/url]

Comment

Working...