Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Radiant Alumipex for Solar Pool Heater

Hello everyone,
    First time here, found lots of info but have question about using this type of piping. I've noticed most people use either black hose or irrigation pipe. I have extra black radiant heat hose and was thinking it would be much better. Its black hose shell with a thin aluminum shielding then thick white pipe inside. It says rated for 200F - 100psi and is 1/2 thick. Brand name caked Weil-Mclain Alumipex for Radiant 1/2nom 1216 PEX-AL-PEX.

Can someone please let me know if this would work. Thanks.

Brian

I couldn't figure out how to post a pic of the roll I have, sorry guys.

The PEX in the part name implies that it is PEX tube which is NOT usually UV resistant, and in fact, even a weeks worth of solar exposure will be damaging to the tube.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

You would be crazy to put that garbage in your walls let alone out in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by SWFLA View Post
        You would be crazy to put that garbage in your walls let alone out in the sun.
        Why would you call dual wall PEX garbage ? The aluminum layer is likely for oxygen blocking for a closed circuit system .
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. I have a few questions. As for the pex part in the name, meaning it would be bad for the UV...what exactly or possibly do you think would happen to the tubing if used for this idea? As for being garbage, why would it be garbage? I have it installed as radiant heat for my house and it has been working great for over 15 years.

So if everyone agrees not to use this tubing, which to me seems like it would be better(cause the insulation of aluminum) then that reg irrigation tubing (by no means do I claim to know better). Then should I make the solar pool heater box out of a few feet of copper pipe or is the reg irrigation tubing really that much better then everything else.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by fst2011 View Post
            Thanks everyone for the info. I have a few questions. As for the pex part in the name, meaning it would be bad for the UV...what exactly or possibly do you think would happen to the tubing if used for this idea? As for being garbage, why would it be garbage? I have it installed as radiant heat for my house and it has been working great for over 15 years.

So if everyone agrees not to use this tubing, which to me seems like it would be better(cause the insulation of aluminum) then that reg irrigation tubing (by no means do I claim to know better). Then should I make the solar pool heater box out of a few feet of copper pipe or is the reg irrigation tubing really that much better then everything else.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your advice.
            Not a plug, but see Fafco pool heaters. Better performance. Less hassle. More durability. Give it a snoop. You can't make as good as you can buy. Been there, done that.

Comment

Fafco is the "gold standard"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

Why would you call dual wall PEX garbage ? The aluminum layer is likely for oxygen blocking for a closed circuit system .
                People had great attitudes about polybutylene tubing. I believe there was almost a 1 billion dollar Superfund for that mess.

buried in concrete and running propylene glycol is okay with me at least when that fails you can switch to baseboard hydronic.

the aluminum is indeed used keep oxygen out. It corrodes really nice with the metal fittings. And then leaks. The Metallurgy of said fittings needs to be closely monitored. There was also a small fund set up for those failures as well.

I bet you'd have a hard time finding a plumber that would put any flexible plastic in his own domicile. Excluding braided stainless over Teflon.

Comment

Wow... Thanks again everyone for their advice. Truly appreciated. So to be clear, ditch the radiant heat tubing and just go with the copper? I know you can use irrigation pipe but if they were both same price... which would you choose?

Thanks

Comment

irrigation pipe is not rated for pressure at warm temps, but you are only running a couple PSI right, just enough to get it to circulate ? poly pipe is a lot cheaper than copper, but the thermal transfer in the plastic is not great.

Comment

Originally posted by fst2011 View Post
                      Wow... Thanks again everyone for their advice. Truly appreciated. So to be clear, ditch the radiant heat tubing and just go with the copper? I know you can use irrigation pipe but if they were both same price... which would you choose?

Thanks
                      You'll go broke doing a copper system that's large enough to provide adequate heat.

One more time: If you want a good method to supply heat to a pool using solar energy, get solar collectors made for pool heating applications. Better, more efficient, less maint., better looking.

Before you do that however, get a pool cover and use it. If/when you do, you will find any remaining heat needs can be met with a smaller, less expensive solar pool heater. It's by far the least expensive way to reduce heat loss, thereby reducing the heat load.

Comment

Working...
                      X