Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barnsley
    • Jul 2016

can a self priming pump power a filter in series that is switched off

I have a 12ft above ground pop up pool with a standard combined filter and pump.
    Can my new water pump - 800w and 700gal / hr pump, power the old filter with just the new pump switched on and the filter switched off?
    - after all, gravity alone seems to push water through the filter when switched off
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

maybe. try it out. and let us know if it works
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• barnsley
      • Jul 2016

i tried it with the filter switched off and before the pool pump - so the pump pulls water in through the filter.
      it did work, but slowed down the flow rate of the pool pump by about half (not sure if this is bad for the pump or not? - possibly struggling?)
      It might be better if i put the filter after the pool pump and pushed water through it instead?

if i need to turnover my pool water through the filter every 8 hrs then my 1700 gallons pool should be turned over in less than 6 hrs (300gal/hr filter & pump). I believe i could therefore switch off my filter anyway for the 7 hrs of peak daylight time that my solar contraption is on.

Comment

Working...