X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Finding black PVC

Anyone have suggestions for source of black 2" PVC in San Jose, CA area?
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Any farm supply house

Any building supply house

Any plumbing supply house
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by russ
      Any farm supply house

Any building supply house

Any plumbing supply house
      I wish.

Black PVC is not a common item - it's not something you find at plumbing supply shops, much less the larger places like Home Depot or Lowes.
      They carry black ABS, white PVC, and grey PVC.
      A few of the plumbing supply places can special order black PVC for me.

(And there just aren't any good farm supply houses around here - closest we have is Orchard Supply)

I have a few more calls to make tomorrow, but looks like it's going to be regular white PVC and a can of black spray paint

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Don't know what they make now but if for exposure to the sun make sure it is UV resist
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• LucMan
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2010

ABS is basically holocore PVC and can be used in place of PVC in low pressure applications. There are no pressure rated fittings available in ABS as in PVC.
          Both are rated for cold water only.

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by LucMan
            ABS is basically holocore PVC and can be used in place of PVC in low pressure applications. There are no pressure rated fittings available in ABS as in PVC.
            Both are rated for cold water only.
            ABS is not the same as PVC - they are different plastics and are not designed to be used together.
            (Probably you already know that - but someone else coming along and reading this may mistake your statement as endorsing using ABS with PVC for a pool heating system)

Since black PVC is sold for solar pool heating (and is what was in place and working fine for 15-20+ years before I started taking it apart) I am fairly confident that it is the right material to use. It's not really cold water - and isn't as low of pressure as DWV applications - but since it's been working fine for years, I'm not worried about those aspects.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by foo1bar
              ABS is not the same as PVC - they are different plastics and are not designed to be used together. He didn't say they were

(Probably you already know that - but someone else coming along and reading this may mistake your statement as endorsing using ABS with PVC for a pool heating system)

Since black PVC is sold for solar pool heating (and is what was in place and working fine for 15-20+ years before I started taking it apart) I am fairly confident that it is the right material to use. It's not really cold water - and isn't as low of pressure as DWV applications - but since it's been working fine for years, I'm not worried about those aspects.
              The water out of a typical pool heater is barely warm water
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• foo1bar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by russ
                The water out of a typical pool heater is barely warm water
                I would get mine to over 90 F on warm sunny days. I think there were a few days it was over 100.
                I don't consider that "barely warm" - it's not as hot as your typical domestic hot water, but it's definitely quite warm.

He didn't say they were
                No - but as I was pointing out someone reading his post could easily misinterpret what he said ("ABS is basically holocore PVC" ) and think that they are the same when they definitely are not.

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by foo1bar
                  I would get mine to over 90 F on warm sunny days. I think there were a few days it was over 100.
                  I don't consider that "barely warm" - it's not as hot as your typical domestic hot water, but it's definitely quite warm.

No - but as I was pointing out someone reading his post could easily misinterpret what he said ("ABS is basically holocore PVC" ) and think that they are the same when they definitely are not.
                  Only if they are brain dead I suppose.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• LucMan
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2010

I bought some 2" blue/black flexible "PVC" at a Koy pond supply several years ago, or try McMaster Carr industrial supply online if they don't have it no one does.

Comment

• foo1bar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by LucMan
                      I bought some 2" blue/black flexible "PVC" at a Koy pond supply several years ago, or try McMaster Carr industrial supply online if they don't have it no one does.
                      Interesting - but definitely not what I needed. I needed schedule 40 black PVC. www.jmeagle.com has ability to search for distributors of their product. And searching for distributors, I found one with "Pool" in their name. And they have it in stock.

Comment

• Naptown
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2011

Heliocol has it for their pool systems.
                        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...