Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ezrio315
    • Nov 2013

Solar Pool Heater

Yes Kenneth, I do agree with you and also like the ideas about solar pool heaters. They are not too much expensive and anyone can afford solar pool heaters. I think solar pool heaters are more effective then other source of pool heating so that we should use solar heating source to heat a swimming pool which works very effectively.

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by OvertheSun
      People have been telling me for years I couldn't have a thermostat in each room, much less heating and cooling at the same time.
      With the Nest family of network connected thermostats and controls (very very pricey, but interesting) you can have all of that and more, including occupancy sensors and remote control from a mobile device.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• trainpilot
        • Oct 2014

heat from A/C to pool

I have begun seeing condensers available for transferring heat from a/c compressors into pool water. The potential for energy savings are significant, after all there are rebates and tax credits available for geothermal heat pumps. Using 85 degree water for condensing your refrigerant is much more effective than using 100 degree air. If you have a closed loop solar heating system and the fluid you are circulating through your panels is much hotter than outside air temp, then this would not be helpful. If your A/C compressor is located near your pool then this kind of system could work. You would be saving the electricity that the condenser fan burns, and the compressor would not have to work as hard. I tried to get one of my areas better HVAC guys interested n this without success. I'd sure like to hear if anyone out there has done this with good results.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by trainpilot
          I'd sure like to hear if anyone out there has done this with good results.
          Google "heat pump pool heaters reviews"
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• trainpilot
            • Oct 2014

Thanks for the suggestion Russ. What I'm seeking though, is feedback from someone who is using the waste heat from their home air conditioning system to heat their pool. The packaged heat pump pool heaters are heating the pools by cooling the air that the fan blows through the evaporator. It looks like they work pretty well, particularly when the outside air temp is not too cool. But if someone is running significant air conditioning inside their house, they could be heating their pool just by pumping a bit of pool water through a water-cooled refrigerant condenser. I realize that now we're looking at a system that does not use solar, but I'm hoping to someday take advantage of this, and integrate this with my solar pool heating.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by trainpilot
              I have begun seeing condensers available for transferring heat from a/c compressors into pool water. The potential for energy savings are significant, after all there are rebates and tax credits available for geothermal heat pumps. Using 85 degree water for condensing your refrigerant is much more effective than using 100 degree air. If you have a closed loop solar heating system and the fluid you are circulating through your panels is much hotter than outside air temp, then this would not be helpful. If your A/C compressor is located near your pool then this kind of system could work. You would be saving the electricity that the condenser fan burns, and the compressor would not have to work as hard. I tried to get one of my areas better HVAC guys interested n this without success. I'd sure like to hear if anyone out there has done this with good results.
              There were a lot of homes in my neighborhood (including mine) that had a heat exchanger (or economizer) which would transfer excess heat from my AC compressor to our water heater.

While it seemed like a good idea back in the late 80's that unit tended to leak or have other issues just few years after being installed. Everyone that had one has removed it.

Hopefully the one you are looking to heat your pool will work.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
                Hopefully the one you are looking to heat your pool will work.
                It seems the dedicated pool heating type should work.

1) low delta T so they can be efficient - they claim a COP of 5.5 to 6

2) titanium heat exchangers solve part of the water chemistry problem.

I would prefer to buy one from one of the large companies rather than one of the pool heating mini companies that have come up recently.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...