shop heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shop heater

I wanted to share my results of my solat hot air collector. I made a 72"x72" screen collector out of a 2x8 frame. I put heat reflective foam on top of plywood for the back and covered it with black rolled roofing. I notched the face and put glass from two patio doors from a remodle job. Ran 6" insulated ducting from the bottom and the top into my shop. I hooked up a inline duct booster fan. Result: Feb 19 Iowa temp was 9 gravity heat without the fan was 118. After turning on the fan for a few minute it provided 94 degree heat consitently and warmed up as the sun rose higher. Took the time to orient the tilt angle and set it perpendicular to solar noon. Does exactly what I was hoping for. I keep water for coffee in the shop and it has not frozen yet this winter. ps on a day like today 24 degrees it reached 218 inside the collector box and was blowing 129 degree heat

Originally posted by solarnut View Post
    I wanted to share my results of my solat hot air collector. I made a 72"x72" screen collector out of a 2x8 frame. I put heat reflective foam on top of plywood for the back and covered it with black rolled roofing. I notched the face and put glass from two patio doors from a remodle job. Ran 6" insulated ducting from the bottom and the top into my shop. I hooked up a inline duct booster fan. Result: Feb 19 Iowa temp was 9 gravity heat without the fan was 118. After turning on the fan for a few minute it provided 94 degree heat consitently and warmed up as the sun rose higher. Took the time to orient the tilt angle and set it perpendicular to solar noon. Does exactly what I was hoping for. I keep water for coffee in the shop and it has not frozen yet this winter. ps on a day like today 24 degrees it reached 218 inside the collector box and was blowing 129 degree heat
    Impressive results! Can you also fill us in on roughly what the air flow rate was with the fan on, and how warm it was able to keep the shop during the day?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

shop heater

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Impressive results! Can you also fill us in on roughly what the air flow rate was with the fan on, and how warm it was able to keep the shop during the day?
      Yes the air flow was approx 150-165 cfm. I have an electric heater also in my shop so I use the solar unit as a supplimentary heat source and after warming to a comfortable temp to work on projects I turn off the electric one. I like to stay right around 50 degress or so I notice you are from Placerville. I lived in Santa Rosa for 14 years

Comment

Originally posted by solarnut View Post
        I lived in Santa Rosa for 14 years
        The Big City, eh? My parents retired there and lived in Oakmont, so I know a bit about the area.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Shop heater

How big is your shop and what is the insulation quality. I do projects in the 2 1/2 car garage and been some heat. Your project sounds very interesting!

Comment

Working...
          X